Notices

confused.com engine smoke!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2009, 08:31 PM
zoed
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused.com engine smoke!!

hi right i have a 1994 import scooby turbo. ive just recently had a new engine fitted the engine started fine first turn of the key!! i have no head gasket symptons at all!! but i do have smoke coming from between the exhaust an where the turbo bolts to it.. ive checked spark plugs they are all still clean with no sign of oil leaking on them, the car runs and drives fine but smokes on boost. hardly any out of the exhaust mainly in engine bay where i explained. water coolant is fine, but i did put new engine oil 15w 40 in it on tues an 2nite i have drained it out and it ws very black an thick ive now put in it 10w 40 and now there is less smoke but still abit...im gettin so frustrated with it..any ideas would be greatly appreciated ( i hope i have explained this so you understand lol i am a woman after all ) thanks
Old 25 June 2009, 08:38 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

i have the same on a 95 its either excess oil on the exhaust manifold or downpipe left over from the engine change when u unbolt the oil feed / return lines it spills onto the exhaust , or , u have a rocker gasket leak , a spark plug tube gasket leak or the bolt seals on the rocker cover are leaking , power steering lines leak and pour down the back left of the engine and the cam breather box leaks basically u have an oil leak which is dripping onto the manifold underneath the turbo and it causes smoke and also a smell through ur heaters when ur driving , most likely the rocker covers or the bolt seals/washers hope this helps mines was the rocker gasket , caused quite bad smoke when it leaked ,look under neath the back left spark plug onto the manifold i bet u theres a small black patch u can just see it below the back left of the engine standing from the front
Old 25 June 2009, 10:16 PM
zoed
Scooby Newbie

Thank you very much for that going to get gasket changed 2moz!!! Will let you no results.. Thanks again
Old 27 June 2009, 08:43 PM
johngoulding
Scooby Regular

waste of money , plz dont do this ? not enough symptoms for a head gasket get it sniff tested first before u do ? otherwise its 300 quid min to get it done
Old 28 June 2009, 10:53 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johngoulding
waste of money , plz dont do this ? not enough symptoms for a head gasket get it sniff tested first before u do ? otherwise its 300 quid min to get it done

I think zoed is talking about changing only the cam cover gasket isn't he/she i.e. addressing the symptom?

Last edited by joz8968; 28 June 2009 at 10:57 AM.