Notices

Help! Error 32 - New Intercooler + Panel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2009, 01:40 PM
Scooba-roo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Error 32 - New Intercooler + Panel Filter

Just wondering if someone can help, I 've just swapped the standard intercooler on my Classic UK MY00 for a Newage WRX intercooler, which involved fitting new Samco hoses. It all fits fine and the engine sounds fine, I'm pretty sure that the hoses are all secure however when driving on the motorway the Check Engine light came on. I've checked the error code and it's 32 - Oxygen sensor. Which is on the down pipe after the turbo right? Any idea why this has happened? Do I need a remap? I noticed that the dump/recirculation valve was a lot stiffer would this cause any problems? I also fitted a K&N panel filter at the same time, I thought it was the MAF that had gone at first!

I'm going to reset the ECU and see if the error reappears? But do I need a remap? If so any recommendations?

Any help appreciated, thanks!
Old 24 June 2009, 04:19 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If everything else on your engine is still standard you won't need a remap just for this change. The '802 MY00 ECU is known to be the "safest" standard Subaru ECU by a margin - it runs very rich under boost and this in turn gives you more option to play around with stuff before a remap becomes unavoidable. The stiffer spring on the newage dumpvalves doesn't cause any problems - I presume you've fitted the newage Samco recirc pipe to match the larger diameter of the valve outlet?

As to why you're getting the error, the ECU will throw this if it can't register a voltage from the oxygen sensor, and yes, it is the thing sticking out the side of the downpipe just behind the turbo. Either this means your sensor has failed, and just happens to have done so at a time that coincided with your intercooler swap, or, is it possible you disturbed the sensor's loom or connectors while you were working on the car?

Make sure the sensor plug is firmly into the socket and the locking tab is clicked home - you can reach it without needing to remove the IC again. If it is, and the error comes back after an ECU reset, then you're looking at a replacement.

The "good news" in this scenario is that if your sensor just failed, chances are it was failing before, and failing sensors tend to result in your car overfuelling at low engine loads. Thus, replacing under these circustances should improve your fuel economy (a bit).