Notices

Advice needed on Dump Valves.

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2002, 03:16 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend (or not!!) a particular dump valve. I know the main ones seem to be Forge,Baileys and HKS but can people post their experiences (good or bad) about their dump valves? Can anyone tell me wheather a dump valve affects your fuel comsumption and if so, Why?.

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 05 March 2002, 04:04 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

When I can afford to buy one I'll get a Blitz cause they sound the biz. Not sure about the rest but I'm sure someone will be able to explain all.
Old 05 March 2002, 10:30 PM
FOZ STiV5
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Which model car do you have??? early WRX's had crap DV's 99's are better.

My choice would be the APEXI... twin diaphram hence can be adjusted not to give stall problems in traffic. The latter is important ...if you don't think so buy a Baileys

Anyway ..the APEXi also has a ring with different aperture sizes so you can partly control the noise level.

Julian
Old 05 March 2002, 11:20 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

I've had my Bailey Evo (DV26 I think) on for about 4 months now and it's never stalled once because it does actually use a twin diaphragm design for exactly that reason. It's not very loud, and does not appear to have affected mileage at all.
Old 05 March 2002, 11:43 PM
FOZ STiV5
Scooby Regular

Point taken,,,,, and this illustrates that ther are many available... not all bailey's do as your does. In general you get what you pay for.

J
Old 06 March 2002, 01:25 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

You're right about that! Although bizarrely I think that the Bailey valves that aren't like this are actually the exact same price for some reason!

I was hesitant to fit a dumpvalve to my legacy after I tried the cheap £50 jobbie off my R5 GTT on it and got really bad idle/stall problems coz I didn't know about this issue, but the Bailey Evo one is designed specifically to get round this problem and fortunately it seems to be sweet as a nut so far. Except for being way too quiet for my liking! Anyone know a way of making it louder apart from huge boost?!
Old 06 March 2002, 04:15 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys,

I have MY99 STI Type-R. It is interesting that you mention about idling and stalling problems as mine has both. How does the dump valve help in both cases? I originally thought that my MAF sensor was on its way out, maybe not? A twin piston dump valve is on the shopping list then.

Cheers,

Craig.
Old 06 March 2002, 05:54 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Woah! Hang on a sec - do you mean you've got problems like that already? If so have you already fitted a dump valve or has it just got the standard recirculating one on? If it's standard then it could be leaking or you could have a problem elsewhere but fitting a decent dump valve won't necessarily cure the problem, it just means it shouldn't make it worse! Finding the cause is more important.

If on the other hand you already have a nonstandard DV fitted and it suffers stalling & up&down idle problems that could be responsible!
Old 06 March 2002, 06:33 PM
@Dean
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was original sold a single piston Baily valve and the car just wouldn't idle but after fitting the correct (twin piston) one I've had no problems at all. The fuel consumption has been badly affected though.... because I keep accelerating and backing off to make the noise (I thought the novelty would wear off but it hasn't after 8 months). My mate has a HKS super sequential on his EVO and it makes a great noise (sort of dump then whistle) but cost nearly 3 times as much....
Old 06 March 2002, 10:23 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info guys,

My car is totally standard engine wise at the moment and I realise that getting a dump valve will not cure my idle/stalling problems as my numerous threads on the MAF sensor will testify. I will get a decent dump valve anyway as an aside to curing the original problem.

Many thanks again.

Craig.
Old 03 June 2002, 09:48 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Wink

Craig, I had problems with my standard dv due to running high boost front mount etc...ended up fitting a HKS super sequential dv.

It a) cured the let off problems.
b) allows pops and bangs.
c) sounds superb.
d) scares mongs on roundabouts who cut me up.
e) sounds superb.
f) sounds superb.

Also the HKS uses the positive pressure to keep the valve closed, most others rely on a spring to do this.

Anyway...it works for me

Cheers MD.

Edit to say...no idle probs or the like.

[Edited by Moles Dad - 3/6/2002 9:50:13 PM]