Notices

Boost controller work with a Prodrive ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2009, 08:46 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost controller work with a Prodrive ECU?

This isnt normally the type of question I would ask, so feel a little silly, but can I just connect up my boost controller (its an AEM) or will the ECU throw its toys out the pram?

I was also wondering what sort of pressure mine is running at the moment, so I can replicate it?

Its a 1998 Impreza WR Sport, inc Prodrive ECU, and a TD04.

Cheers all.

Grant
Old 14 June 2009, 09:43 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

i have a 98 impreza with a hdi boost controller and have a prodrive ecu coming in the post tomorow to replace my standard uk 8S ecu. I have got some vague specs for the 'SP' badged prodrive ecu which is the one you will have (i think). I'll know when i plug it in tomorow and check it on my boost gauge. I believe the boost is around 16.5 psi which is about 1.1 bar likely to tail off at high revs. The fuel cut is about 17.5psi (1.2 bar), this is the point that the ecu shuts off the fuel injectors to prevent damage from overboost. This in itself can be shocking and unhealthy for the engine and driver so should be avoided. On my 8S the fuelcut threshold can be exceeded for up to 3 seconds before it actually cuts the injectors. I intend to run my low at 1bar and high at just under 1.2bar. I dont profess to fully understand the implications of strapping on a boost controller instead of letting the ecu control the stock one, but I believe its fairly safe as the ecu will add fuel based mainly on airflow and therefore should keep up with faster spool, I'm not sure about the top end as my old ecu tailed off boost at high rpm and i always wondered if my controller holds boost steady at any revs, was the ecu still supplying fuel based on the old map, i.e tailing off boost and fuel together. I hope that the fuel delivery is dictated by airflow and therefore holding high boost for longer doesnt matter as the ecu will compensate. I will probably have one go at boosting above 1.2 bar whilst staring at my boost gauge (and bracing for fuel cut whiplash!) to find out what the boost cut is and then set the controller as close to it as I dare. I would get a boost gauge as that was my first mod bought the day after getting the car, especially if you are playing with a boost controller.
Old 15 June 2009, 12:24 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

My boost controller comes with a gauge, just thought it wa 1 bar, rather than 1.1?
Old 15 June 2009, 03:11 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

easy to check if you want... hook up the gauge but not the controller, i.e. vac line and power wires only, then drive... note boost level ... stop... then hook up controller start low ramp it up and hey presto! oh and remember to tell me what the stock boost is as I remembered that as I have an ebc already i cant check the stock boost level anyway as i ditched the stock solenoid & piping. My ecu wont run on the car because of the immobiliser, so I have to get the keys recoded at the dealership which i was told I would have to do but not by all. Have you ever needed keys recoding, was it a hassle?
Old 30 June 2009, 02:40 PM
GreenTurbo98
Scooby Regular

I am just about to fix a Prodrive ECU to my MY97 so am in the same situation. How did you get on getting keys recoded and what was the cost?
I too will be looking to add a boost controller, have a Lamco gauge at the moment and it does show quiet a boost spike above the standard max of 0.9 in some gears on my standard 8S ECU.
Old 30 June 2009, 03:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not recommended with a Prodrive ecu.

Tony
Old 30 June 2009, 04:19 PM
GreenTurbo98
Scooby Regular

Any reason Tony?
Old 30 June 2009, 10:58 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

The prodrive ecu seems to be carefully setup, and doesn't tolerate any mods well- its finely tuned as is seems to be the issue, and so easy to upset.

I'm in the middle of fitting a fmic and my boost controller, as well as a decat, ready for a simtek to be installed by Simon Roe.

I'm going to run the boost controller first so will let you know how that goes before other mods.
Old 30 June 2009, 11:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Grant74
The prodrive ecu seems to be carefully setup, and doesn't tolerate any mods well- its finely tuned as is seems to be the issue, and so easy to upset.

I'm in the middle of fitting a fmic and my boost controller, as well as a decat, ready for a simtek to be installed by Simon Roe.

I'm going to run the boost controller first so will let you know how that goes before other mods.
This sums it up
They dont like to be messed with, its designed as a pack and is mapped to that pack, it then has less limits than the standard ecu so increasing the boost for instance to 1.25-1.3 bar can cause det, it also doesnt like being decatted, dets again, hence its not really recommended to use a mbc with one, they just prefer to be left as prodrive intended them to be

Tony
Old 01 July 2009, 12:35 AM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

remember to run that kind of boost you would have to have bypassed the map sensor with an fcd or similar eliminator, which is asking for trouble anyway. I reckon the ecu wont let you run more than about 1.17 bar before cutting off the fuel injectors so really thats your limit on that ecu unless i'm misunderstanding something. ALthough its the spikes that are the killer i suppose as fuel cut is slow and boost is quick! The only comment about 'upsetting' this ecu is I was talking to an e-bay member stocksman about an sp he bought and fitted and was shocked to hear he has been running it with an sti turbo for a while now aparantly with no problems! Cant be right but its working for him so I can only conclude they must be fairly robust in their mapping, prodrive is nowhere near the limits of the fuelling in my opinion, it cant be if they still allow 95 ron fuel to be used.