Notices

How do i Bleed the radiator???

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2009, 04:58 PM
WAZ WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i Bleed the radiator???

Hi, i have a version 2 wrx wagon, and i was wondering how to bleed the radiator?

i know that there is like a plastic screw at the bottom of the radiator in the inside, and your suppost to twist this until water comes out to let all the air out. now i tried to bleed the radiator yesterday and since i twisted this black plastic screw the car does not give out any hot heat from the heater. now ive been told it could be the thermestat but i have a feeling it has something to do with this black plastic screw, lol has anybody had a similar problem??? and could anybody point me in the rite direction....cheers
Old 13 June 2009, 05:07 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

hia mate never herd of unscrewing the the drain off to bleed the heating system if anything all the water will come out.
the easiest way is to fill the system up thn open the coolant bottle lid and start the engine thn keep squeezing the pipes to the rad starting with the bottom one first as the engines running it will flush out the air be very carefull not to scald yourself though this is how i do mine anyway mate
the heaters will keep blowin hot thn cold as the cold air spots pass them but keep perserviring thn give it a small run and might need a lil more water after that mate
hope this helps nathan
Old 13 June 2009, 05:15 PM
WAZ WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njberrie
hia mate never herd of unscrewing the the drain off to bleed the heating system if anything all the water will come out.
thanx for that m8, but i have already tried to squeeze the bottom pipe and the top pipe to push out all the air but still no joy and no hot heat from the heater. isnt there sum sort of a screw that u shud b able to loosen to let the air our whilst the engine is running when u just start the car???
Old 13 June 2009, 06:32 PM
Hobstar82
Scooby Regular

There are no bleeder plugs on the system. The lower screw is for drain only. If you have unscrewed this you'll av lost water.

Fill up header tank, give it a min to settle, top up, repeat as necessary untill no more coolant will go in. Run engine briefly, top up coolant, repeat as necessary. Finally top up expansion bottle to level.
Old 14 June 2009, 04:01 AM
WAZ WRX
Scooby Regular

thanx for that mate, just 1 thing i have noticed is that my expansion bottle is practically always full, it does seem as though it could be blocked, this isnt a common problem isit??

and if there isnt any bleeder plugs for the system how would u take air out of the water within the system???
Old 14 June 2009, 03:34 PM
njberrie
Scooby Regular

yes if the expansion blocked this will be a problem as when the waters hot and expands it will have nowhere to go poss leading to a blown rad mate get 2 siudes of the system off and jet it through with a pressure washer mate try sum chemical cleaner though but be sure to get it all out afterwards
Old 14 June 2009, 03:53 PM
duds64
Scooby Regular

when i did mine i kept the revs at 2000rpm when filling with water, worked straight away with no air lock. give it a try worked fo me
Old 14 June 2009, 04:06 PM
Black-Hawk
Scooby Regular

Changed my coolant last week, took both caps off, then disconected bottom hose to drain coolant, removed expansion bottle and emptied into a bucket, mesured it and it was 6ltrs, re-fitted the bottom hose and expansion bottle, then refilled the system with new coolant, when both rad and top tank were full replaced the caps and filled the expansion bottle to original level and it took 6ltrs, no bleeding, job done
Old 14 June 2009, 06:17 PM
Hobstar82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WAZ WRX
thanx for that mate, just 1 thing i have noticed is that my expansion bottle is practically always full, it does seem as though it could be blocked, this isnt a common problem isit??

and if there isnt any bleeder plugs for the system how would u take air out of the water within the system???
The expansion bottle(in the N/S wing) will normaly always be full unless you drain it seperately.

The system is self bleeding so shouldn't need bleeding, hense no bleeders in the system. It can be a slow process!

If you want to tho you can remove one of the heater matrix pipes (at the matrix end to make sure you have a flow of water thru it, eliminating a blockage.

As long as no-one has put rad sealant in it at sum stage and the coolant you have removed was clean (non rusty/brown colour) there shouldn't be any blockages.
Old 16 June 2009, 01:15 AM
WAZ WRX
Scooby Regular

hmmm interesting, thank you very much for all of your advice, it is very much apreciated! =)