Notices

turbosmart adj bov help

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2009, 12:53 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default turbosmart adj bov help

hi all, ive got one of these valves fitted to my bugeye and ive recently noticed that the valve releases the air fine up untill around 0.5 bar anything after that it seems to just chatter sort of with a slight hiss noise.

can anyone give me any help with this.
Old 09 June 2009, 03:16 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

anyone
Old 09 June 2009, 08:22 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 10 June 2009, 11:35 AM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

up
Old 10 June 2009, 11:51 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like its not dumping the air quick enough since it copes fine with up to 0.5 bar but struggles anything over. The chatter is usually undumped air pushing back past the turbo.

If it was the other way round (fine over 0.5 bar but chatters under that) then the spring is too tight and you can adjust to suit.
Old 10 June 2009, 12:16 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

just adjust it, if it is struggling to dump over .5 bar (and therefore stalling the turbo) the spring is to tight surely?
Old 10 June 2009, 01:10 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

so are we saying its too tight and needs adjusting
Old 10 June 2009, 01:27 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
just adjust it, if it is struggling to dump over .5 bar (and therefore stalling the turbo) the spring is to tight surely?
The way I see it is the other way round. If the spring is at its tightest then it won't dump at all, the more you slacken it off the more it will dump. So if you slacken it 25% it will dump anything over 1.5bar (for example) but nothing below that. 50% = over 1 bar, 75% =0.5 bar and fully slack means it will dump everything.

But in this case it is dumping everything up until 0.5 bar and nothing over that which is the opposite of my understanding of how these 'adjustable' valves work. So I think its not dumping the air quick enough, so perhaps a restriction in the DV outlet or the DV manifold feed.

Just IMO
Old 10 June 2009, 02:08 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

fair point, do you think taking it apart and re oiling the piston may help. perhaps there is a build up of drit or something in the body
Old 10 June 2009, 02:19 PM
legacytt
Scooby Regular

i had one of these and there should be a line on it thats the furthest point you can adjust anything after that can damage the dv might be its been adjusted too far and buggered the spring that would explain it not holding on to the air and dumping early.
Old 10 June 2009, 02:53 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

just took it apart and the spring looks fine. still strong and not bent or twisted.the piston inside seems to stick very slightly (something and nothin really) at a certain point in the shaft. it doesnt slide freely on its own. with the spring in its fine obviously because the spring is pushing the piston down.

ive probably just not got it set right for my car..perhaps i may be best geting it on the rollers and having them adjust it to the correct setting
Old 10 June 2009, 07:23 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
The way I see it is the other way round. If the spring is at its tightest then it won't dump at all, the more you slacken it off the more it will dump. So if you slacken it 25% it will dump anything over 1.5bar (for example) but nothing below that. 50% = over 1 bar, 75% =0.5 bar and fully slack means it will dump everything.

But in this case it is dumping everything up until 0.5 bar and nothing over that which is the opposite of my understanding of how these 'adjustable' valves work. So I think its not dumping the air quick enough, so perhaps a restriction in the DV outlet or the DV manifold feed.

Just IMO
see what your saying ive not read the 1st post correctly.
I did have one of these myself and it took a bit of messing to get it setup correctly (didnt help that my turbo was fecked as well),

It probably does need tightening up, if its okay at .5 bar but not anything above, then it is probably actually too loose and thus venting slightly when you get to .5 bar therefore it appears that it isnt venting when you lift off as in theory it already has due to it "leaking" if you see what I mean. Just test it yourself, adjust half a turn, got for a little drive, if its now too stiff, stop, adjust back of quarter of a turn and just check again. You will know if it is too stiff as you will get a lovely turbo noise
Old 10 June 2009, 08:38 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

i have a fairly new vee port i got from demon tweeks and theres no marks or lines anywhere to say when to stop as such just have to use instinct lol but mine is almost fully open so to speak and mine has to be given the beans to dump?? i think there crap masel cost me around £150 as well