Impreza 99 keeps cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2009, 07:51 PM
James99
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza 99 keeps cutting out

Hi All
My 99 Impreza turbo has recently been re-mapped and on the rolling road, have been driving it round the last week and when I open it up specially round a corner it cuts out. I can re start about 10/15 mins later but it's bugging me to what it causing it to do it in the first place! The only thing I have changed layely is the fuel pump that was before it went on the rolling rd and it was ok then?
Anyone got any ideas?
Old 08 June 2009, 08:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Do the symptoms disappear/get any less serious if you fill the fuel tank right up? When you changed the fuel pump are you certain you refitted the pickup (and all pipework and electrics) properly?

When you say it's "cutting out" do you mean it's completely dying and you have to sit there for a number of minutes before you can restart? If so, does the check engine light illuminate at any point (and if so have you connected the read memory plugs and checked the error codes)?

If it is completely cutting out, what, exactly happens? Does the engine splutter a bit before dying? Do the lights on the dash (and the exterior lights) go out? Tell us more and it might be possible to give you some more targeted advice. Given what we know at the moment it could be so many different possible causes that it's difficult to pick one out of the haystack.
Old 08 June 2009, 09:55 PM
James99
Scooby Newbie

Hi thanks for replying i'll give you a bit more information.
Ok yes it does seem to dissapear when the fuel tank is full but it really only seems to do it when you put your foot down especailly round corners.
By saying cutting out yes it's completly dying and I have to wait about 10 mins before I can start it again. There aren't any lights coming on to indicate a problem so haven't been able to check the error codes?
The engine seems to splutter before it goes but the lights stay on the dash as well as the exterior ones.
I'm puzzled to what's going on any advice you can give me will be gratefully received I'll be working on it tomorrow so if you can suggest anything to try that would be a great help
Cheers James
Old 08 June 2009, 10:36 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

From what you've said so far, the first thing to check/rule out would probably be the possibility of fuel starvation. It's a known issue on these cars but tends only to manifest on a fairly low (1/4 or less) tank and when going round right hand corners more than left-handers. Does this fit what you're experiencing?

Also, when you try to restart the car after it happens, listen carefully to the sound the fuel pump makes when it pressurises after you turn the ignition on. If the lines have run dry it should sound audibly different/louder than "normal".

If it does look and feel like starvation, and the problem has appeared now when it wasn't there before, first thing to check would be the new pump installation, to ensure that the fuel pickup is fitted properly and sitting right in the base of the tank. Did the pump come with a new pickup or did you re-use an old one?

Also, is it possible that the explanation is something as simple as you going round corners a bit faster now than you used to? If this is at least part of the explanation then there are a number of ways around it - a click of the search button will get you a lot of answers.