Dilema after stripping V3 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2009, 09:52 PM
Hudson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilema after stripping V3 engine

hi there,
long story, but i have been stripping a v3 engine with the view to rebuilding it all as it has been knocking. now i have a few issues with what i have found and i thought i would share my find and see what people think!

I bought the engine a month or 2 ago and it had no inlet manifold on but it had the headers, up pipe, oil filter, and timing belt covers on.

now what struck me first when i bought then engine was that it had pretty much brand new mounts under it which i thought was odd but plausible.

I removed the timing belt covers and bugger me if i wasnt presented with a new set of pulleys and tensioners! Very strange for an engine with a buggered bottom end i thought but still plausible. I then noticed the almost perfect silver subaru oil pump! very odd for the problem described!

I removed the sump and it was obvious that the problem was deffo a bearing failure - there was loads of swarf floating around.

I've carried on stripping the engine, removing the heads and splitting the block and what did i find? well 4 different rods!

You can see the colour difference in this photo....

rod 1

rod 2

rod 3

rod 4

well i guess question 1 is - are these forged sti pistons? and is it ok to run a mixed type of rods?

the pistons got removed and the underneath looks like this...

if i remember correctly, HF pistons are forged but can someone confirm?

upon removing one of the rods, i found the dead bearings which had left the rod/crank in this state...

I have never done a bottom end properly and although I have bought various gauges to make sure everything is up to scratch im not sure whether these items are not scrap! what do you think?

I do have a spare crank or two which should be ok to use but i dont have any forged rods knocking around.

so then, whatdya think??
Old 07 June 2009, 11:06 PM
Hudson
Scooby Regular

anyone....?
Old 07 June 2009, 11:27 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

those pistona are forged! the issue with rods apart them being odd would be the weight of them as any difference in weight would have thrown the engine off balance, as for what models the rods are from i dont know!
Old 08 June 2009, 03:49 AM
Hudson
Scooby Regular

how many grams difference is allowable between rods? just checked the service manual and it makes no reference to it!

and what do you think to the surface where the bearing has been destroyed?