Notices

exhaust noise question/recomendations ???

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2009, 08:34 PM
sy.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust noise question/recomendations ???

i have a full de-cat 2.5" system with a ninja backbox (classic wagon) which is ok but i am considering coming down 1 on the noise side of things defo want to keep it a 2.5" backbox not too quite though like a magnex but down a bit from the ninja (group n maybe???) any views recommendations???? or anyone wanting the opposite poss swap???
Old 05 June 2009, 08:40 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Did you keep the resonated section in
Old 05 June 2009, 08:45 PM
sy.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Did you keep the resonated section in
no the system is straight through pipes it starts 3" from back of turbo then drops to 2.5" before the joint with the 2.5" center section
Old 05 June 2009, 10:16 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

why dont you put the resonated section back in, its not that restrictive and should take it down a notch or two on the sound side.
Or you could get a section made with a sports silencer.
Old 06 June 2009, 12:00 AM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

I have swapped from a standard exhaust to a second hand hayward and scott decat system (ebay) with a classic look tailpipe only this week. The new system has a resonated centre pipe but is still a fair bit louder than the original. The car is a MY98 uk classic (pre facelift) and had 2 cats, downpipe and centre. I have heard a lot about resonated centres but my owners manual shows the position of both cats, and sure enough thats exactly what i had. so replacing your centre may well add a cat in too, basically i reckon if you want it quieter you have to add in cats or stock silencers. cats are particularly good at reflecting sound back toward the source. I think tailpipe bungs are a bit ghetto but are a solution giving flexibility. If you really want the ultimate best in both worlds consider something like a manual(plate or cable) or electric qtp exhaust cutout, on a decat downpipe then run a stock centre cat and stock backbox, that way you can run around with an emissions legal (just!) quiet stock exhaust then open the cutout for the freeflowing roar. The only downside is the car really wants two maps i quess as its like having 2 different exhausts fitted at the same time! remotely operated cutouts are not widely used here but are actually quite a stealthy mod in my opinion
Old 06 June 2009, 07:29 AM
sy.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L3YMS
I have swapped from a standard exhaust to a second hand hayward and scott decat system (ebay) with a classic look tailpipe only this week. The new system has a resonated centre pipe but is still a fair bit louder than the original. The car is a MY98 uk classic (pre facelift) and had 2 cats, downpipe and centre. I have heard a lot about resonated centres but my owners manual shows the position of both cats, and sure enough thats exactly what i had. so replacing your centre may well add a cat in too, basically i reckon if you want it quieter you have to add in cats or stock silencers. cats are particularly good at reflecting sound back toward the source. I think tailpipe bungs are a bit ghetto but are a solution giving flexibility. If you really want the ultimate best in both worlds consider something like a manual(plate or cable) or electric qtp exhaust cutout, on a decat downpipe then run a stock centre cat and stock backbox, that way you can run around with an emissions legal (just!) quiet stock exhaust then open the cutout for the freeflowing roar. The only downside is the car really wants two maps i quess as its like having 2 different exhausts fitted at the same time! remotely operated cutouts are not widely used here but are actually quite a stealthy mod in my opinion
i have looked at the sports cat idea but at the mo i want to limit the affect to my current map hence why im looking at poss 2.5" backbox only change im sure the ninja i have on now is a tad quieter than the vortex i had on it before hence thinking the group n or is there a similar backbox quiter than the ninja???
Old 06 June 2009, 08:19 AM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

hi mate i have a 1994 wrx with a full decat fitted straight through with a tsl group n back box & it sounds lovely i live in a culdy sack with alot of elderly neighbours who i have to keep happy & this sounds just right very nice quality back box aswell

Trending Topics

Old 06 June 2009, 01:20 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

+1 for the group N! My system is standard apart from the TSL back box. Looks really good and sounds great. I'm not at all into really loud sysems, and i still think when my straight through centre section and sports cat down pipe arrive it won't be too noisy but at the same time you will still deffinately know your driving a scooby!
Old 06 June 2009, 01:25 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

do they not do 'silenced' decats for scoobys?

coming froma cliosport background, they used to be popular on the renault forums, and not much more than a normal decat
Old 06 June 2009, 01:30 PM
dee052
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an STI Genome backbox and find it the perfect medium of quiet under low revs and coming alive when putting your foot down.
There are plenty of samples of various exhausts on youtube.