Notices

failed mot!pls help.

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2009, 02:00 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed mot!pls help.

hi,my car failed mot today on a rear shock and have 2 advisorys on springs corodeing,im thinking lets not get robbed by main stealer,maybe if i purchase some shocks and springs,and fit them myself? are they difficult to fit,my main question is,do i have to disconnect brake hoses to calipers to remove the shocks and if so do i need to bleed brakes as i really dont want to attempt that? is there a way of replacing the shocks without having to bleed the brakes??
Old 18 May 2009, 03:21 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

The callipers unbolt.. either 2 17mm or 2 19mm bolts, and the Brake hose is attached to the rear strut with a clip... pull the clip out and the hose is disconnected from the Strut... At no point should you remove it from the calliper.

You will NOT need to bleed the brakes out.
Old 18 May 2009, 03:28 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The M@trix
The callipers unbolt.. either 2 17mm or 2 19mm bolts, and the Brake hose is attached to the rear strut with a clip... pull the clip out and the hose is disconnected from the Strut... At no point should you remove it from the calliper.

You will NOT need to bleed the brakes out.
ah,so the pipe thats held to the strut just slides off of the strut?(via a clip) i thought the pipe was connected together and u had to disconnect the pipe to free it from the strut?
Old 18 May 2009, 03:39 PM
JT386
Scooby Regular

i have seen some that are connected but i just cut through the bracket to aviod removing the brake line, doesnt make any odds to the strut, hopefully yours will be clips though
Old 18 May 2009, 03:46 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by james_turner
i have seen some that are connected but i just cut through the bracket to aviod removing the brake line, doesnt make any odds to the strut, hopefully yours will be clips though
so what did u do with the brake line once fitted it all back together,u just let it hang there?
Old 18 May 2009, 05:34 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

anyone else on this? does my my99 uk turbo have clips on the shocks to remove the brake pipes?
Old 18 May 2009, 06:14 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

mate i arnt been funny but if you think you need your brakes off to remove a shocker the it sounds like you shouldnt even be attempting to change the shockers yourself?

yes they have clips, iirc they are metal and i hacksawed mine to get them off - re-attatched with cable ties to shocker.
Old 18 May 2009, 07:03 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
mate i arnt been funny but if you think you need your brakes off to remove a shocker the it sounds like you shouldnt even be attempting to change the shockers yourself?

yes they have clips, iirc they are metal and i hacksawed mine to get them off - re-attatched with cable ties to shocker.
dont be a silly billy,i was wondering if the brake pipe was clipped to the shock or whether u had to disconnect the pipe(where it brackets to shock) to get the shock out. if i was that retarded i would never do anything on my scoob no worries mate!
Old 18 May 2009, 07:20 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

just cut thru the bracket on the shock with a hack saw - bend it out of the way to get the hose out - fit the new shock and if need be cut the bracket on the replacement shock (thru the middle) push pipe back in and bend the bracket back into place with pliers.. easy job
Old 18 May 2009, 07:36 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tucker82
just cut thru the bracket on the shock with a hack saw - bend it out of the way to get the hose out - fit the new shock and if need be cut the bracket on the replacement shock (thru the middle) push pipe back in and bend the bracket back into place with pliers.. easy job
thanks for that mate,but surely they are all on clips,it would seem ridiculous to have to do that to a bracket because subaru wouldnt have designed it so you have to disconnect a brake pipe to remove a strut!but if i have to then i will
Old 18 May 2009, 08:49 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
thanks for that mate,but surely they are all on clips,it would seem ridiculous to have to do that to a bracket because subaru wouldnt have designed it so you have to disconnect a brake pipe to remove a strut!but if i have to then i will
Maybe not all struts do - but I bought a complete set of struts n springs from NS04 and his were the same (with brackets) and iirc his scoob is MY99

Mine along with Paul's both had the bracket with the hose through, and a clip holding the hose tight to the bracket ..
Old 18 May 2009, 09:18 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
hi,my car failed mot today on a rear shock and have 2 advisorys on springs corodeing,im thinking lets not get robbed by main stealer,maybe if i purchase some shocks and springs,and fit them myself? are they difficult to fit,my main question is,do i have to disconnect brake hoses to calipers to remove the shocks and if so do i need to bleed brakes as i really dont want to attempt that? is there a way of replacing the shocks without having to bleed the brakes??
99 i know you dont need to but if you ever have to bleed the brakes its easy even on your own just get a bleeding kit from halfords for about a fiver its a pipe with a valve on the end so no air can get back in so you can do it yourself i've done mine myself and there fine. the worst problem is getting the bleed nipples undone
Old 18 May 2009, 09:39 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular