Default What is this sound coming from the front left wheel

Here's a link to the video: What is this sound? - JDMVIP.com Discussion Forums

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 15 May 2009, 09:02 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

wheel bearing would be first guess,
cant you jack the car up and turn the front wheels 1 at a time with a drill or something to get it to turn and see if you can narrow down the sound.
Old 15 May 2009, 09:04 AM
mrbiz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheel bearing maybe.
Old 15 May 2009, 02:24 PM
legacytt
Scooby Regular

cv joint as i think wheel bearing would be more a whine than a grinding noise and as it does it all the time i would have it checked out before it goes completely.
Old 17 May 2009, 02:16 AM
jdmvip
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys but at the same time it sounds like a bad wheel bearing at lower and higher speeds now.

The CV boot looks fine though, no leaking grease and no tears or rips.
I want to at least make sure it is not the CV joint though, could a bad CV joint make that sound?

Keep the ideas coming please
Old 17 May 2009, 08:03 PM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

it has all the symptons that mine had and it turned out to be a knackered hub. managed to work its way loose and i had it tightened but it just happened again. i got a second hand one for 35 notes and everything seems to be in order. my steering rack was knackered at the same time and i had them both replaced on the same day but i hardly think it was the rack. good luck in your quest.
Old 17 May 2009, 08:20 PM
Paul303
Scooby Newbie

Are your brakes getting a little spongy? That is a classic sign of a dodgy bearing, impreza's dont give seem to give any play in the wheel when the bearing is going. If like when mine when it went the noise is the free play in bearing rubbing against the hub you'll need a new hub too.
hope this helps

Trending Topics

Old 17 May 2009, 09:43 PM
jdmvip
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again for the info guys. My brakes were getting spongy, but I think that's because my front right was not bled properly when I did it so fluid got low.

I still like "first ever scooby"'s idea because if it's just the hub that is cheaper.
My gut tells me it may be the hub and bearing though

I feel the sound is starting to evolve into that of a flat tire which would definitely be wheel bearing.

When my back right went I could also smell burning grease and feel intense heat from it after a highway run. I'll try doing a highway trip today and check for heat and/or burning grease smell.

I will also remove the rotor, will that be enough to see if the hub is bad? What obvious signs should I look for to diagnose a bad hub?

Thanks again guys.
Old 25 June 2009, 10:15 PM
Inner_rush
Scooby Newbie

ive got the same problem jd, ive had the wheel bearings replaced and thats helped a little but brakes are still seriously spongey, the mechanic reckons its definitely the hub, says that the reason the bearing went was because the inner race wasnt sitting on the hub properly due to the hub being knackered so was just spinning, hes put a temporary stop gap in until i can get a new hub, i.e. ASAP!lol. by putting strip welds down the hub for the bearing to sit on. this most likely will result in me needing another bearing when i get the new hub but its helping for now. good luck with yours mate!
shadz
Old 26 June 2009, 12:58 AM
jdmvip
Scooby Newbie

I haven't identified or solved the problem yet, but it sounds like a bad rotor to me (I even get some vibration on the highway now).

I think it is a bad rotor because it was obvious there was a strange ridge on the rotor, as if the pads were hitting the wrong area.

After cleaning the ridge off (using a metal brush), the squeaking sound has gone away.
Now the only sound that is there sounds like a bad/warped rotor.

I'm going to replace the rotor soon and see if that makes the sound go away.

If the caliper still has play and I hear the bad rotor sound, then I'll know it must be the hub.

I hope it is just a bad rotor since that is an easier and cheaper fix.

Thanks guys