Notices

power fc

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2009, 10:18 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power fc

is there nobody out there who knows about power fc and willing to help?!

just want to know a few things like uprating map sensor, will it control std boost solenoid?
Old 18 June 2009, 11:15 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Ha. I had this done a couple of Fridays ago at Zen before a remap.

The PFC has its own bespoke 3.0bar MAP sensor that has a bespoke connector that plugs into the side of the PFC. There's enough wiring for it to be run through the bulkhead and sited over by the OEM BCS - it just gets T-pieced into the vac line that goes to the OEM MAP sensor. The OEM BCS can remain - the 3-porter of the MY93-96 cars is fine (working perfect on mine).

Or you can use it with APEXi's own compact little 3-port BCS (I have one of these for sale BTW )

You 'tell' the PFC to read from the APEXi MAP sensor by going into the Commander's "Etc." menu; another sub menu (3rd one down I think, reading "Functions..."); then turn on "Boost Control Kit".

Mine's working great since remap and has been mapped by Paul at 1.3bar, so it does work lol

I think you can replace the OEM MY93-96 MAP sensor with the OEM MY97/98 or MY99/00 MAP one but, and if IIRC, the PFC don't work too well with them. I might be wrong here though.

Last edited by joz8968; 18 June 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 18 June 2009, 11:54 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

thanks joz, did it replace factory map sensor i take it? i have a denso 3 bar map sensor that was fitted to my fcon v but not sure if it would work with power fc? why does the apexi map sensor plug into seperate socket if it can use oem map sensor connected to oem loom? what spec engine you got?
Old 19 June 2009, 01:07 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

When using the OEM MAP sensor (or a replacement Bosch or Denso one) the PFC reads it using the pinout of the OEM wring loom i.e. as per normal, so nothing's changed.

When using the APEXi PFC's own bespoke MAP sensor, it has its own electrical wiring and connector at the end which plugs into the side of the PFC. You then need to go into the Commander's menu system to 'turn the MAP senor on' - see my firsr post. By invoking this option, you are programming the ECU to ignore the signal coming from the OEM one via the OEM loom, and instead making it read from the APEXi one via its electrical connection into the side of the PFC, as mentioned.

Re. your Denso MAP sensor, contact JGM - he's hot on what works well, etc. with the PFC...

Last edited by joz8968; 19 June 2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 19 June 2009, 06:13 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

thanks, just dont see why there is another connector for map sensor when you can upgrade on factory loom! So if i upgrade map sensor and keep 3 port solenoid connected i can run over 1.2 bar? tried contacting jgm and it seems nobody really wants to help as this is how they make money!
Old 19 June 2009, 07:16 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimes
thanks, just dont see why there is another connector for map sensor when you can upgrade on factory loom! So if i upgrade map sensor and keep 3 port solenoid connected i can run over 1.2 bar? tried contacting jgm and it seems nobody really wants to help as this is how they make money!
It's just the way the APEXi system has been designed. The APEXi MAP has it's own connector that fits the socket on the side on the PFC ECU in the footwell.

But if you have an uprated Denso job that is a rated at more than 2.2bar, then yes, you'll able to go beyond 1.2bar of boost.

Simon's bound to be very busy then (probably out mapping loads of cars, etc.), as he is the most helpful dealer/mapper on here IMHO. I've sent him countless annoying emails in the past, and he's always responded - normally within a few minutes or an hour or two.
Old 19 June 2009, 10:59 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the apexi map sensor and loom is universal as such.. slight variances of but they all have the plug on the side to allow a map sensor.. they also do the Djetro versions (MAP rather than MAF) but unfortunatly not for the Impreza which uses the Apexi supplied map sensor and harness / loom Joz mentions.

You can use a newer sensor from the 97 onwards but the calibration is wrong then within the pfc and iirc 1bar reads as 0.4bar whcih isn't helpful.

The easiest way is to get a separate form of boost control and use that.. ie. a dawes device..

Do you have the supporting mods to go beyond 1.1bar? injectors, intercooler changed etc? are you using detcans and wideband etc?

You can run more than the 1bar limit on the pfc enforced when using the oe map sensor.. just set the target at 1bar and then increase the duty so it over shoots it.. it just won't close loop the boost and will fuel cut at 1.2bar

Simon
Old 20 June 2009, 12:39 AM
jimes
Scooby Regular

hi simon, thanks for reply. yes have lm-1 and det cans but prob not a big enough intercooler at mo. seems like best way would be to get a seperate boost controller, just being tight and thinking power fc could do what i want!
Old 20 June 2009, 12:42 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

it can with the apexi map sensor and loom..

are you on standard injectors? if so unlikely to have fuel much above 1.15bar anyway
Old 21 June 2009, 04:31 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

440's. so am i correct in saying if i get an apexi map sensor i can run 1.2 using the stock 3 port solenoid? can the later map sensor or my denso 949940-6110 be calibrated to power fc? or should i just use my greddy profec?!
Old 21 June 2009, 07:01 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

also on all of these points, what tells the pfc not to fuel cut if i use ext control etc?
Old 22 June 2009, 08:28 AM
jimes
Scooby Regular

btt
Old 22 June 2009, 01:58 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Jimes.. You still after a datalogit box? Have one for sale with software and cable etc..

Ad
Old 22 June 2009, 06:55 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

yes mate, you have pm. do you know how it gets around overboost if i fit a ebc?
Old 22 June 2009, 08:55 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

PM replied to mate.. as for overboost, it depends what your talking about. As simon says you could set the boost target at 1bar and then duty higher than appropriate to cause it to spike, as long as the fueling was set up right. Personally i wouldn't bother cutting corners, you might pay for it in the long run, either buy the OE boost control kit from Apexi which should come with a 3BAR denso MAP sensor but actually allows somewhere around 1.7-1.8 BAR above atmos, not a full 3 BAR and an AVCR solenoid. Or use a stand-alone electronic, greddy and the like.... i think your running one already aren't you?

Extremepsi.com is the place for these bits, i don't buy anything from the UK anymore as its a bloody rip-off...

If your talking about boost creep (ie alternative overboost) then an EBC like apexi avcr or similar would be better than a manual dawes in my opinion. I have issues with boost creep on another car due to the wastegate desin primarily and the electronic devices tend to handle it a little better so i have found. The dawes is ISO tho...

I'll chuck the software and registration in the box as well so you can get on the yahpo.group web groups for support and updates. some cool developments on the power fc all the time, albeit slow asssss.

@d

Last edited by apalmer; 22 June 2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 22 June 2009, 09:24 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

I have a greddy profec that i could use and might aswell if it does as good a job as the pfc? my question is, the pfc will still cut at 1.2 bar wouldnt it? or do i remove stock map sensor so it doesnt see boost level?
Old 22 June 2009, 09:43 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimes
I have a greddy profec that i could use and might aswell if it does as good a job as the pfc? my question is, the pfc will still cut at 1.2 bar wouldnt it? or do i remove stock map sensor so it doesnt see boost level?
I see what you mean now, and i'm not sure is the truth. Normaly the power-fc needs both the map sensor and the solenoid to control boost, one to read from and one to control the duty so don't think that unplugging wouldn't help. Certainly on other power-fc models the optional boost control kit comes with a MAP sensor for just that purpose, it may be that it isn't an option on the impreza to change the sensor over.. wouldn't have thought so though someone must have done this already. If this is the case you could probably just buy the parts you need rather than the whole kit and use your profec b instead. Nengun does the parts individually but you'd need to be sure.

@d
Old 22 June 2009, 09:56 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

just re-read joz's post above, looks like you can fit the Denso MAP sensor to the GC8 version and enable it then... that would be the plan of action... get the 3bar map sensor without solenoid either fleabay or nengun or similar, enable it, use profec b for boost control... Use fc-edit and setup your fueling and so-on..
Old 24 June 2009, 05:30 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

so i take it everybody on here who has more than 1.2 bar of boost has changed their map sensor? Im guessing that the fuel cut comes in at the max voltage from map sensor 5v prob and with a 3 bar sensor that voltage isnt reached until a higher amount of boost is put into it? has anybody got an apexi 3 bar map sensor they want to sell?! have a denso one here but to scale it with an accurate gauge is a bit of messing around...
Old 24 June 2009, 06:07 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

One here:-

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...ntrol-kit.html

But it comes as part of the full APEXi boost control kit... so you'd have to flog on the 3-port BCS (unless you wanted to replace your OEM BCS with it).
Old 25 June 2009, 02:47 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

just use the profec b.. the only loss is no overboost cut.. so just be careful etc
double double check all boost pipes are secure and put clips on them
Old 25 June 2009, 06:26 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

think mines a profec a..........so is it the boost that is dropped at 1.2 or a fuel cut? if i use the profec what would stop it from fuel cutting?
Old 25 June 2009, 06:45 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

no

the powerfc wont control the boost above 1bar, you and cheat and get it to 1.1bar but no more

just use the profec b

you will not have a boost cut though. set boost control kit the opposite to it is set now
Old 25 June 2009, 07:04 PM
jimes
Scooby Regular

thats what i was looking for! turning boost kit on in apexi makes it ignore the oe map sensor so it doesnt cut......thanks Simon. will use profec for now until i can get an apexi map sensor as ive heard mixed opinion on the profec a being fuzzy logic.......had any experience with them?
Old 26 June 2009, 01:34 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

usually okay..