Notices

Top entry FMIC, Whats the best way?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2009, 11:43 AM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Top entry FMIC, Whats the best way?

Hi guys,

I'mve trying to reduce the lengh of pipework used in my FMIC set up.

I like my air con too much so I can't go for the reverse mount inlet.

I have heard of a few people flipping the FMIC so the entry points are at the top and then go in through the front of the car instead of via the inner wings.

I had a little look this morning and I'm struggling to find the space.

Has anyone done this mod? Can you explain where and how you take the pipe work through the front of the car.

I don't want to start cutting holes, especially if there is a very simply route.
Old 14 May 2009, 04:17 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 14 May 2009, 04:59 PM
sy.
Scooby Regular

already done this and it does make a difference just flipped the intercooler upside down and cut sections out below the headlamps & corners of the bumper bar then use two 90deg silicone pipes and cut down the original pipework to fit
(will try dig out some pics to post for ya when i get home)

Last edited by sy.; 14 May 2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 15 May 2009, 07:47 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Top job cheers mate, that would be a big help.
Old 17 May 2009, 09:46 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

So, anyone else done this mod before?
Old 18 May 2009, 07:19 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done this mod a couple of times but came to the conclusion that the difference from the shorter pipe run was probably undetectable and just not worth the effort involved. What was far more important was ensuring the car was properly mapped because that had the biggest influence in eliminating lag and making it very responsive.
Old 21 May 2009, 09:18 AM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Anyone else with an opinion on this mod?

Trending Topics

Old 21 May 2009, 11:10 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 23 May 2009, 09:09 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

So, I gues not too many people have done this mod before than ha ha ha ha.
Old 26 May 2009, 08:08 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

TTT
Old 28 May 2009, 01:46 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Think I'm gonna take the bumper off this weekend and have a look and see what I can do.
Old 29 May 2009, 10:28 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

It will cost you quite a bit if using silicon pipework. It is cheaper with aluminium and silicon joiners from Viper. Viper Performance - High Quality Silicone Hoses
What FMIC are you running????
With that information I may be able to pass on more info and if you want to e-mail me a photo of your underbonnet/intercooler I can probably make a comment.
It is important to get the most efficient core possible that will do the job and that is probably the biggest single factor. After that it is fine tuning, mapping is probably the next most significant factor as is the smoothness of the pipework run.

I still go back to what I said at post #6 above.
Old 29 May 2009, 10:36 AM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

I have also heard about this, and will look at it in the near future as i'm still at engine building stage. So any info on this would be appreciated.
Old 29 May 2009, 05:05 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I've seen examples of two methods...

PACE and Lateral with their custom rads and issues with aircon....

Some French guy (I think) who cut holes near the headlight appertures to pass pipes into the engine compartment.

J.
Old 01 June 2009, 08:51 AM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
I've seen examples of two methods...

PACE and Lateral with their custom rads and issues with aircon....

Some French guy (I think) who cut holes near the headlight appertures to pass pipes into the engine compartment.

J.
I think the aircon issue is only a problem when you reverse mount the inlet. I want to keep my aircon so I'm avoiding this.

But as for bring the pipes through the front of the car I think I'm gonna have to cut part of the front member or brace which I don't want to do if I can help it.

Has anyone done this mod without cutting. I've not had time to take the bumper off yet and so haven't had a chance to have a good look. I don't think I'm gonna get a chance to do this for another week.
Old 02 June 2009, 01:40 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Has anyone done this mod without cutting. I've not had time to take the bumper off yet and so haven't had a chance to have a good look. I don't think I'm gonna get a chance to do this for another week.
Just look at the front of the car. It is not possible to fit an FMIC core, inverted without cutting to accomadate the pipework to and from the core.
Old 08 June 2009, 03:01 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...lerfabhole.jpg

Is this the best place to do the cutting?
Old 09 June 2009, 10:44 AM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

I wanted to avoid cutting if possible, but if need be I certainly want to make sure its not going to be in a dangerous place which could affect the structure of the car. Which to me the above photo looks like it will do?
Old 10 June 2009, 12:20 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

This is getting out of hand. We cannot advise you where to cut until we see what pipes you have and as you might come to realise it is a hell of a lot of work and requires skill and detailed attention to do it properly for what I consider to be questionable gains.
If you don't have the skills, knowledge or confidence to get on and do the job best leave it alone or you wil make an expensive bollocks of the job. If you are inverting a normal core so the inlet and outlet are at the top then I would think, subject to dimensions of the core and the pipework route you choose, that the pipes will be coming into the engine bay somewhere between the radiator end tanks and headlights but asking us to comment on where you should cut without showing us your pipework or pipe route is just like someone sending you an email asking you to identify a noise that the engine is making.
Make a mistake with what you are doing and it could be expensive and a big waste of time. If this sounds critical, please accept my apologies in advance but I am trying to give you practical advice.
Old 10 June 2009, 09:26 AM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by harvey
This is getting out of hand. We cannot advise you where to cut until we see what pipes you have and as you might come to realise it is a hell of a lot of work and requires skill and detailed attention to do it properly for what I consider to be questionable gains.
If you don't have the skills, knowledge or confidence to get on and do the job best leave it alone or you wil make an expensive bollocks of the job. If you are inverting a normal core so the inlet and outlet are at the top then I would think, subject to dimensions of the core and the pipework route you choose, that the pipes will be coming into the engine bay somewhere between the radiator end tanks and headlights but asking us to comment on where you should cut without showing us your pipework or pipe route is just like someone sending you an email asking you to identify a noise that the engine is making.
Make a mistake with what you are doing and it could be expensive and a big waste of time. If this sounds critical, please accept my apologies in advance but I am trying to give you practical advice.

Thanks for the above, I think I've confused you for what I'm after. I'm after information on what other people have done before.

Reading other threads on this subject tells me a large number of people have done this mod before, but I can only find one thread with pictures of where there holes were cut to fit the pipe work, two threads in particular mention its possible without cutting, but again no information on how it was actually done or pictures.

I have access to a working car garage and several friends who are welders and fabricators. I will not be doing this all by myself.

The FMIC is 25x12x3 1/2", I have three full sets of hard pipe kits and untold amounts of samco hose left over from old projects, so I can make whatever set up is required.

I'm just interested in what other people have done, to see if I can use any of they ideas, I kow my set up will change according to my engine lay out, but the princples remain the same.

I don't want to custom fabricate an intercooler, I'd like to use my old one.

As it has been said this mod offers little gain, but a gain none the less, and for the sake of re-routing a few pipes I think its worth looking into.

If it looks like I will have to cut too much of the car, or start moving the rad and others bits and pieces making a whole host of new brackets etc then it is likely I will not do it. But again worth looking into IMHO.

Has anyone got any pictures of the finished re-routed pipework that they've done on they're cars?