UK Classic power upgrades - Scoobynet experts advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2009, 11:13 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK Classic power upgrades - Scoobynet experts advice please

Hi there all,

Having owned Scoobs since 1997 I have finally ended up back at a UK classic which is my 5th. I bought this one as a project and when I got it it was totally standard even down to the radio/cassette

My plan is to get the car to somewhere between 350 and 400bhp, whilst, and this is the crucial bit, still retaining all the driveability it has now. i.e. I want it to to be as easy to drive lesiurely to the local supermarket as it is now yet if I choose to take it for a thrash on a track I want plenty of power/torque available.

Initially I have concentrated on making it stop and handle better before I start adding to the power figures. To that end it has had H&R springs and AGX adjustable shocks fitted, I have a whiteline ARB to go on and a full set of K-Sport brakes ready to be fitted. These will be done in the next few weeks. I have also done some cosmetic work with colour coding and new wheels etc. and added a Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust as one popped up at the right price on Ebay.

So once that little lot is sorted I need to look at the engine and drivetrain. I have done a lot of reading on here and various other sites such as Andy Forrest and I am aiming to do the following:

- Upgrade the gearbox as the 5 speed fitted to the UK cars will not handle the bigger power unless treated very carefully and I really don't want to be tiptoeing around (see driveability comment above)
- Upgrade the clutch
- Bigger turbo, intercooler, injectors, induction kit, 3 port boost solenoid, bigger fuel pump, further exhaust/up pipe mods
- Remap

Despite all the reading I have a number of quesions as follows and I know there are many on here way more knowledgeable than I so I am hoping some of you would be good enough to offer your advice.

Turbo

The law of turbo upgrading seems to be to get the smallest turbo you can to produce the power figures you want. After much reading I like the sound of thr Andy Forrest AFP 05-20G, but am open to other opinions on here.

Gearbox

What are my options here? Most people seem to put an STI 6 speed from a newage car in which is fine, but are there any five speed boxes that will cut the mustard power wise. Having owned both 5 speed classics and a 6 speed newage I really don't see the need for 6 speeds over 5 with these cars and I am guessing that the 6 speed box will be heavier than a 5 speed.

Also what is the deal with the differentials on these conversions. I believe different rear diffs are needed depending on the gearbox ratios between JDM and UK. Is the best thing to do to buy the diff with the gearbox to make sure they match up correctly or is there an easy way to tell.

Induction

What, if any, is the best aftermarket induction kit for these cars. I hear lots of conflicting reports about induction kits and would like to know what experiences people on here have with various products.

Pistons etc.

Will I get away with the sort of power I am aiming at without having to uprate engine internals bearing in mind I want the car as driveable as possible.

Catch cans/Parallel fuel mods etc.

Is it a good idea to add a catch can or fuel pressure regulator to the car when attempting to upgrade to that sort of power? Also I read a lot about cylinder 3 being fuel starved and damage ensuing - one cure seems to be to modify to a parallel fuel rail setup - again is this something I should think about.

ECU and MAF Sensor

I know my existing ECU can be mapped, but is there an advantage to replacing it with a Simtek or the likes and do away with the MAF sensor altogether. What is the idea of the in car commander you seem to get with the Apexi? Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, but while I know some things about Scoobs the engine modifying side of things is not something I have ever dabbled in.

Exhaust etc.

I have the Blitz Nur Spec R centre and back on my car currently. What advanatge is there to be had by replacing the remaining downpipe and the up pipe for that matter and what should I replace them with products wise.

OK that's enough questions for one post If you have any recommendations on the above please add them here and don't be shy Thanks in advance and sorry the post is so long.
Old 10 May 2009, 11:34 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

my advice would be to get all the money ready for this expensive job then sit on it and wait for an already modified decent example to come up for sale.
Old 10 May 2009, 11:49 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
my advice would be to get all the money ready for this expensive job then sit on it and wait for an already modified decent example to come up for sale.
Thanks for your reply and while your advice may seem sound half the fun to me is doing the project myself or as much of it myself as I can.

I also have a low mileage pretty much mint starting point which is why I searched hard for the right car (for me).

So back to the original questions
Old 10 May 2009, 04:46 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Ok then, my other advice would be to think very carefully whether you actually want 350+ bhp.

You have what looks like a 99/00 car?

I'd probably go for a 3" system like revolution, open neck 3" downpipe, panel filter, VF35 Turbo (or similar) 3 port boost solenoid, apexi power fc ecu (or ecutek your std ecu) Walbro drop in fuel pump and you could have up to 320bhp, usually a good 300bhp.

With a nice set of decent suspension and a good geometry setup it'd make a good car into a great fun car.

After this things get not only dear but frustrating in my opinion.
Old 10 May 2009, 05:03 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

The TD05 20g is a great turbo. Get it!
Don't bother with an induction kit, get a decent panel filter - ramair or something
I know someone who had just shy of 400 bhp on standard internals and it's been going for a couple of years now...?
parallel fuel rail setup and catch can - personal choice, I will be doing thses myself soon
Change your exhaust to a 3" pipe all the way through for a quick spool up on the 20g including the open neck d/p
Maybe get the manifolds (headers ) ported ?

Get a walbro drop in 255lh pump and maybe 550cc injectors ?

Oh yeah, and a good RR map session
Old 11 May 2009, 11:28 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

@JamesWRX - what do you mean by frustrating? Surely if the mods are done properly then 350-400bhp shouldn't be any different to 300-350bhp. Yes I know it costs more to get more power, but that is a given.

@Chris.B Thanks and yes the TD05-20g does seem to get recommended a lot. Interesting what you say about the induction kit. I keep reading that it is best left alone yet see lots of Scoobs with an induction kit. Confusing.

@Everyone else - come on let's be having your thoughts please
Old 11 May 2009, 12:54 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a post on here not long back about induction kits, 98-00 cars are affected most for some reason. I was looking into 1 because i removed the dump valve and wanted some beefy noise still so looked into induction. What i found was all these top induction kits like HKS and K&N are not as good as the apex, on the test all gained around 13-15 bhp but the only 1 with good air flow and filltering was apexi. So if i was to fit the induction that would be the 1. Hope this helps.
Old 12 May 2009, 05:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Cheers, yes that is very helpful. Thanks. As I said I ahve read a lot of posts saying stay away from induction kits and your posts explains some of that at least.

Anyone else?
Old 12 May 2009, 05:58 PM
fireblade37
Scooby Regular

18g turbo is a good choice, bigger intercooler will be needed for that sort of power. My00 intercooler is ok at around 300bhp.

my00 uk== remap, full decat, ported headers and up pipe, front mount,apexi induction,18g turbo, 550 injectors, walbro fuel pump, exedy clutch, lighted flywheel. 112000 on the clock hasn't missed a beat, 365/340. Although its never tracked but is used as my daily drive.

Ps... the gear box is still in one peace