Notices

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2009, 11:44 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery

Came to start the scoob this morning, after parking up as usual yesterday evening, and found it was dead.

When putting a battery meter on it there was no life in it at all. Was able to start the car by jump starting it. So went around my dad’s and put a spare battery on it which seems to be working fine for the time being.

I would like to get a new battery, is there a particular rating that I should look for as there didn't seem to be anything on the original battery, or has anyone got a recommended one to use?
Old 09 May 2009, 12:02 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As a general tip, when you get your new battery leave either your sidelights on (on/off with ignition, parking light on separate switch) or your fan on '1'. This ensures a small current draw which the 'smart' alternator sees and makes it charge the battery. Failure to do this results in a dead battery about every 9-18 months.
Old 09 May 2009, 09:03 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I put an Optima redtop on after the OEM fit and then a Bosch 6DA. The Optima may not be cheap but it has the highest CCA (cold cranking amps) of anything available and I've not had a problem since. I do run with my sidelights on all the time too.
I took my Bosch back under warranty and got my money back and put it towards the redtop.
Old 10 May 2009, 04:35 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info....

I do run it with the side lights on every now and then for that reason but to be honest not very often of late.

I took the battery to somewhere to be tested yesterday and it came up with 'replace'. The guy also checked the crank rating of the battery and what I should have on the car. My cars a 04 STI and should have a battery with a crank rating of 400 and something (cant remember exact number) but the battery in it was only 340 so that probably hasn't helped either.

Time for a new one me thinks.
Old 10 May 2009, 06:18 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

The Optima Redtop is 730 CCA.
Old 10 May 2009, 11:50 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyMoody
The Optima Redtop is 730 CCA.
I did look your battery up on the web, you weren't kidding when you said they ain't cheap!
Old 11 May 2009, 10:34 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Well I came out of work today to find my car turned over slowly again so it would seem its not the battery as the spare one i'm currently using also seems to be losing juice! (this one has a crank rating of 570).

Rather odd because it sat from Friday eve to Sunday eve without even being started, when started sunday eve fired up straight away no probs. Also started this morning no probs, parked up at work then 8-9 hrs later started but only just and slow to turn over?!?!

Anyone know any good auto electrician's in the south east?

Last edited by stiscooby; 11 May 2009 at 10:36 PM.