Notices

induction kit or panel filter?!

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2009, 08:00 AM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up induction kit or panel filter?!

right ive done alot of research on this but i'm still in 2 minds as to have an induction kit or a panel filter now ive had both and in all honesty ive found my car to be quicker with induction kit but i just want to hear some good opinions based on experiance rather than "what they say"
cheers people
Old 27 April 2009, 11:11 AM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt mind knowing this as well! I have an 05 wrx and ive heard standard induction kit is a bad idea cos of heat and mapping issues and it would cost alot more to mount one in the wing and get it mapped so i was thinking just stick a better panel in there!

Whats the best panels to use guys?
Old 27 April 2009, 04:04 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

KnN or Green panel filter all the way
Old 27 April 2009, 04:06 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Would it actually make any different to a WRX with standard exhaust setup?
Old 27 April 2009, 04:19 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

A good air filter will always make a difference
Old 27 April 2009, 04:21 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

ahhh cool, having only owned mine for about a week please forgive my next dumb question..

i guess i can just order, say, a K&N online, open the airbox and switch um round? nothing else needed?
Old 27 April 2009, 04:26 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxwill05
ahhh cool, having only owned mine for about a week please forgive my next dumb question..

i guess i can just order, say, a K&N online, open the airbox and switch um round? nothing else needed?
Correct
Old 27 April 2009, 04:27 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

:-)

last Q before i totally hijack this post, where would be the best place to buy a Green / K&N from?
Old 27 April 2009, 04:31 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I had a pipercross ind kit on my MY99. Fitted it after 6 months or so from new and 8k miles on the clock. Had the px ind kit fitted at the same time as a Mongoose back box and the centre cat removed and replaced with a straight pipe so several things at the same time if you see what i mean.

Overall the The car felt faster, it felt more urgent if you know what i mean. sounded much better and the turbo spooled up earlier by some 250revs. It was better on fuel as well. Overall i think it was worth it for the sound as well as a bit quicker and a nicer drive with the turbo coming in a bit earlier.

I put 60K on the car, never had the MAF fail or any problems related to the engine, it used to eat front disks mind

Also it was fun around London as pedestrians with attitude tended to step back at the roar and engine noises from the ind kit.

If i had one again i would fit a cold air kit to make the most of it. I know people say that it isn't worth the time and money of you have less than 350BHP, remap and other mods but, this was my experiences.
Old 27 April 2009, 04:36 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxwill05
:-)

last Q before i totally hijack this post, where would be the best place to buy a Green / K&N from?
I got mine off ebay mate, bout £40 iirc
Old 27 April 2009, 04:56 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
I had a pipercross ind kit on my MY99. Fitted it after 6 months or so from new and 8k miles on the clock. Had the px ind kit fitted at the same time as a Mongoose back box and the centre cat removed and replaced with a straight pipe so several things at the same time if you see what i mean.

Overall the The car felt faster, it felt more urgent if you know what i mean. sounded much better and the turbo spooled up earlier by some 250revs. It was better on fuel as well. Overall i think it was worth it for the sound as well as a bit quicker and a nicer drive with the turbo coming in a bit earlier.

I put 60K on the car, never had the MAF fail or any problems related to the engine, it used to eat front disks mind

Also it was fun around London as pedestrians with attitude tended to step back at the roar and engine noises from the ind kit.

If i had one again i would fit a cold air kit to make the most of it. I know people say that it isn't worth the time and money of you have less than 350BHP, remap and other mods but, this was my experiences.
Ahh - cool, i heard the newage impreza engines run alot hotter than the classics? i rang up scoobybits a few days ago asking about a K&N ind kit and the guy heavily advised me against it for heat / maf sensor reasons... id rather not frag my new car just yet lol, so i think i'll stick with a panel for now, until i move the filter inlet into the wing that is! lol
Old 27 April 2009, 05:41 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

threw my k&n in the bin after eating 2 maf's in 8 months, i use standard ones from now on nothing else (as advised by my mapper as well)
Old 28 April 2009, 03:54 PM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andyxros
threw my k&n in the bin after eating 2 maf's in 8 months, i use standard ones from now on nothing else (as advised by my mapper as well)
isnt a k&n a wet filter ive been told they kill mafs by the dozen anyway what about dry filters like hks?
Old 28 April 2009, 05:51 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Std airbox and paper filter for me
Old 28 April 2009, 06:11 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4YLOR 83
isnt a k&n a wet filter ive been told they kill mafs by the dozen anyway what about dry filters like hks?
yeah they do kill em, duno about dry ones would like to though
thought it maybe down to over oiling (which wen did it i was carfull) but new k&n new maf still killed it after a few months...i use ome ones and even halfords one no probs..............yet
Old 28 April 2009, 08:12 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

I just got a TSL/Green Hybrid Group N filter - from TSL ! no worries with it so far, very lightly oiled so as to not shoot the Maf
Old 28 April 2009, 09:21 PM
uniquesil
Scooby Regular

So you guys are saying that you shouldnt change the filter? leave it standard? do you not notice a power difference? surely there must be a way to stop it from blowing maf sensors?
Old 28 April 2009, 09:50 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Not at all in my case.
Think its more to do with the MY of the car, the earlier MAF's are stronger than the newer ones.
No great power gains to be had with this mod on its own, 5bhp if your lucky

Last edited by Glowplug; 28 April 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 30 April 2009, 10:25 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

I'd stick with the stock airbox and uprated panel filter.

If your fitting a induction kit then you'll probably need a remap....or at least get afrs, and det checked.

isn't the subaru a karman type maf......thought oiled filters are ok on these?
Old 01 May 2009, 07:29 AM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

well mines got a straight through free flow exhaust and i think an induction kit is defo needed as when i put my air box on i noticed a significant decrease in power but also mine is going to be mapped in the not to distant future so will be getting another hks induction kit first i think
Old 01 May 2009, 02:45 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

well mines got a straight through free flow exhaust and i think an induction kit is defo needed as when i put my air box on i noticed a significant decrease in power but also mine is going to be mapped in the not to distant future so will be getting another hks induction kit first i think

the difference in power you can feel is not because the filter can 'breath' better it is because it is altering the way the MAF reads the airflow and how the ecu interprets that signal.

so if the car feels quicker....then it is because it is running leaner and more ignition timing.....which obviously can be very dangerous.

thats why a remap or at the very least the engine checked is necessary.
Old 01 May 2009, 03:22 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When yoU do get an IK, looks like the A'PEXi is the bad boy to have - check out the link as posted in post # 15 of this thread:-

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/762964-what-fmic-induction-kit.html

Okay, so it's gained a only 1 bhp over the worst of them for power... But check out its second-to-none filtration prowess! (The HKS - although the next best for power at only 0.1 bhp behind the A'PEXi - is pants for filtration...).

Last edited by joz8968; 01 May 2009 at 03:27 PM.