Notices

no power when cold on sti 2003?

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2009, 10:30 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no power when cold on sti 2003?

When i start my car in the morning from cold and drive off it has no acceleration and very hesitant not that i ever drive away quick obviously as i warm the turbo up first,...but it has a lack of power even as a general car until it is warm and then it is fine after about 5 mins is this normal as i am new to subarus and is it an engine fail safe or something? my car is a sti 2003 cheers Rick
Old 03 March 2012, 06:52 PM
555gc8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same problem the car doesn't want to accelerate untill it is warmed up fully and then it runs great. I have to be cautious at junctions when the car is cold. Does anyone know if this is a sensor fault?
Old 03 March 2012, 07:01 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

could be coolant temp sensor or similar? might be worth getting any fault codes read first
Old 03 March 2012, 07:10 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

could be mapped to do this to protect the engine.
Old 04 March 2012, 01:33 PM
steeveebee
Scooby Newbie

Have you tried your Neutral Position Switch. I don't profess to know lots about tuning but I have a v7 wrx that felt like it ran on 3 & 1/2 cylinders (mainly around 2800 revs) and my engine light kept coming on and off usually after a couple of days each as well as flashing at said revs whilst cold.After many times back and forth to my mapper (who couldn't source the problem either) , found out that it was my NPS which cost me about £40 plus delivery. Apparantly it doesn't get picked up when plugging in the fault code finder(don't ask me why) so I just bought one as a process of elimination and the light hasn't come back on since......and the car drives fine also
Old 04 March 2012, 02:34 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steeveebee
Have you tried your Neutral Position Switch. I don't profess to know lots about tuning but I have a v7 wrx that felt like it ran on 3 & 1/2 cylinders (mainly around 2800 revs) and my engine light kept coming on and off usually after a couple of days each as well as flashing at said revs whilst cold.After many times back and forth to my mapper (who couldn't source the problem either) , found out that it was my NPS which cost me about £40 plus delivery. Apparantly it doesn't get picked up when plugging in the fault code finder(don't ask me why) so I just bought one as a process of elimination and the light hasn't come back on since......and the car drives fine also
if u have a lead and romraider you can go into the ECU switches section that tells it when to log, there is a NPS setting, if you tick that and move the gear stick it will tell you if its getting a signal or showing you that the NPS is working.
hth