Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2009, 02:01 PM
isar
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct oil level - re 2 holes and the notch - thanks

Hi
My understanding is.....

1. When the engine is cold and much of the oil is sat in the sump - the oil level should be between the second hole and the top notch.

2. After turning the engine over for a minute and some of the oil has left the sump - the oil level should be between the first hole and the second hole.

Have I got this correct?
Just dont want to overfill her

Cheers
Old 27 March 2009, 02:13 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by isar
Hi
My understanding is.....

1. When the engine is cold and much of the oil is sat in the sump - the oil level should be between the second hole and the top notch.

2. After turning the engine over for a minute and some of the oil has left the sump - the oil level should be between the first hole and the second hole.

Have I got this correct?
Just dont want to overfill her

Cheers
I was always told to measure and fill as appropriate when the engine is cold anyway (hope its correct for Scoobs) and I have gone halfway between the 2 holes as my guide.............
Old 27 March 2009, 02:26 PM
isar
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate
Subaru seems to be unusal because it has three marks on the dip stick. A lower hole (min mark) a higher hole (max mark) and then a third mark (a notch)

when stone cold and much of the oil is sat in the sump. I have been told to fill so the oil lies between the highest hole (max mark) and the notch.

Then to turn the engine over for 30-40 secs leave for a couple of mins now with some of the oil in the engine ....the oil should then read between the lower hole (min mark) and the higher hole (the max mark)

In any other car you seem to check when cold and make sure that the oil is between the low and high mark....simple. But this seems a bit more involved??? Will be interested to see what people say
Old 27 March 2009, 02:28 PM
legacytt
Scooby Regular

dont know if mine is different but the second hole is the full line marked with an f after the engine is warmed up some of the oil should make its way up the dipstick heading towards the top of the engine most of the oil should be between these holes if that makes sense

Last edited by legacytt; 27 March 2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 27 March 2009, 02:37 PM
isar
Scooby Newbie

Makes sense...as that confirms what I have posted I recon.
As the the second hole the max mark is the maximum level when the engine has been run for a bit not the max mark for when the engine is stone cold...unlike on most cars
Old 27 March 2009, 02:56 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by isar
Makes sense...as that confirms what I have posted I recon.
As the the second hole the max mark is the maximum level when the engine has been run for a bit not the max mark for when the engine is stone cold...unlike on most cars
Flippin eck - trust eh ?? I have worked between the 2 holes (on cold) for my last 2 WRX's, they have been OK but will have to wait for opinions I think - if that is the case I must be underfilled
Old 27 March 2009, 03:10 PM
legacytt
Scooby Regular

thats new to me on most cars as the oil is dispersed through the engine it will show lower on the dipstick then you have to wait till the engine is cold to check the level, if the oil is at the max mark while driving then surely it will be above max when cold when oil goes back to the bottom of the engine it would be good to find out if this is right though.

Last edited by legacytt; 27 March 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 27 March 2009, 03:17 PM
isar
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by legacytt
thats new to me on most cars as the oil is dispersed through the engine it will show lower on the dipstick then you have to wait till the engine is cold to check the level, if the oil is at the max mark while driving then surely it will be above max when cold when oil goes back to the bottom of the engine it would be good to find out if this is right though.
The same principle here - so nothing new
As the oil is dispersed through the engine it does read lower on the dipstick as it reads between the low hole and the high hole...as when cold it should read between the high hole and the notch.

It all makes sense to me in theory...its just not the way its done on other cars. So just waiting for a couple of regulars on here to confirm that my information is correct
Old 27 March 2009, 03:17 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

when cold it should be reading at the upper level(top hole) not above it, may read above if engine is warm. make sure you put the dipstick in the correct way ie symbol the correct way up and read on the side marked with f (full) at the upper hole and L (low) at the lower hole, they have just complicated it adding the notch.
Old 27 March 2009, 03:30 PM
isar
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RED2
when cold it should be reading at the upper level(top hole) not above it, may read above if engine is warm. make sure you put the dipstick in the correct way ie symbol the correct way up and read on the side marked with f (full) at the upper hole and L (low) at the lower hole, they have just complicated it adding the notch.
Thanks
so is my information wrong then ...and if so...what is the purpose of the notch?
Old 27 March 2009, 03:43 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

dont know thats why i say they have complicated such a simple check. maybe because if you checked a warm engine it would read above the full level and its there to say its ok, suppose someone will be along who knows and answer that question.
Old 27 March 2009, 04:07 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

I assume if you get the cold reading right and use as benchmark, then you'll be ok when hot
Old 27 March 2009, 04:25 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

just looked at the Bug eyes manual - re oil changes, Park level surface etc etc, wipe dip stick re-insert check oil level between the two holes - lower hole, low level, hihger hole upper level - this is done on cold engine, then goes on to mention the NOTCH which the oil level will be when hot " just after driving or while the engine is warm, the engine oil reading may be in a range between the upper level hole and the notch mark - due to oil thermal expansion - to prevent over fill do not add any additional oil above the upper level hole when the engine is COLD"...
Old 27 March 2009, 05:46 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When changing the oil you fill to the top hole. This is the cold full mark. Then when the engine is at running temp the level should be around the notch somewhere.

As the car approaches its next oil change the level might begin to fall between the top and bottom hole when cold. This is acceptable. I would never run the oil level on or close the bottom hole though
Old 27 March 2009, 06:00 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Any idea how much oil is needed to fill from the bottom hole to the top one .5L ?
Old 27 March 2009, 06:32 PM
legacytt
Scooby Regular

approx 1 litre will take it from bottom hole to top one.