Notices

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2009, 02:46 PM
gsharp97ukturbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Hi, new to scoobys just bought a 97 uk turbo 2000 around a month ago, just done oil change yesterday and filter. filled oil filter with oil before fitting, ran ok for an hour or so, now appears to be quite a big leak from within timing belt casing just wondered any ideas of what could be leaking from there as imagined it would just be the belt and pullies in there?. any suggestions would be very grateful. Valvoline 10w - 40 synthetic oil used.

Cheers

Graeme
Old 07 March 2009, 04:34 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Graeme and welcome to ScoobyNet,
Usual suspects inside the timing belt covers are:
Camshaft Seals ( four of them ).
Front Crankshaft oil seal ( sits in the oil pump ).
Backing Plate on the oil pump loose and leaking - you can also get a drop in oil pressure from this problem and if not sorted can lead to big end failure.

Mick
Old 07 March 2009, 04:46 PM
gsharp97ukturbo
Scooby Newbie

cheers mick will check it out. just looks a bit of a job to get in there to inspect them.

graeme
Old 07 March 2009, 06:05 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

You can remove the 2 outer covers easily enough to check the cam seals but to remove the center outer cover needs the front pulley/drive belts removing first.
If you use a torch and a small inspection mirror you might be able to see where its coming from.
You can also get an oil leak from the power steering tank and it tends to run down the engine block and the front of the engine.

Mick
Old 08 March 2009, 12:10 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

I leave the centre cover off for this very reason.

In fact I just smashed one to pieces with a hammer (carefull no splinters get in the shaft seal) as I didn't have the time/energy/patience to go thru the nause of removing everything else to get it off and had no intention of refitting it anyway.

Funny you get a leak after an oil change. What oil was the previous owner using? If it was heavy (ending in 50 or 60) have a good listen for rattles and get an oil pressure gauge fitted....pronto. Sounds suss.

Good luck, and keep coming back, lots of good info and help on here
Old 09 March 2009, 07:56 PM
gsharp97ukturbo
Scooby Newbie

yeah av just broke part of the centre cover but i can see the leak is coming from just below the crankshaft position sensor. is there any way of loosning the bolt on the crankshaft pulley without a crankshaft pulley wrench. ive tried putting the car in first gear but just moves whole car. dont actually know what oil the previous owner was using but didnt run as it should have. seemed to be holding back so dont know if this would have had an impact on the running. thanks for suggestions much appreciated.

Graeme
Old 09 March 2009, 10:06 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

You can lock the flywheel by removing the black bung in the bellhousing (behind and to the right of the turbo) and locking it with a 10mm allen key or similar.
You can then crack the crank pulley bolt loose and remove the pulley and the remains of the center timing cover.
It sounds like the front crank seal is leaking from your description.

Mick
Old 09 March 2009, 10:57 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Stick it in FIFTH gear, not first, and get a mate to stand on the brakes. Works every time for me (and I've got aircon with the higher torque loading)

Unfortunately sounds like the front crank seal which means timing belt off to replace, althought the seal itself is cheap enough.

Even more unfortunately this is usually a prelude to big end failure (within 5000 miles) in my humble experience (had two of the buggas fail)
Old 10 March 2009, 01:01 AM
gsharp97ukturbo
Scooby Newbie

cheers guys il try that first thing tomorrow and let you know how i get on. thanks for the tips.

Graeme
Old 10 March 2009, 05:05 PM
AshBurton wrx
Scooby Newbie

Even more unfortunately this is usually a prelude to big end failure (within 5000 miles) in my humble experience (had two of the buggas fail)[/quote]

I had the crank oil seal leak on a big motorway journey 300 pluss miles . kept it topped up and got it done by a profesional garage (alan jefferys great service and price) and mines been great . So may not kill the bigends
Old 10 March 2009, 09:34 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Didn't mean it would actually kill big ends, meant it was more an indicator of the general wear/age/condition of the engine.
Old 11 March 2009, 09:37 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

As this happened after an oil change did you overfill it? Mine was overfilled and after a bit of spirited driving I parked up and there was smoke puffing out of the front. Never chuck in 4.5 ltrs as this will actually overfill it as some oil will remain in the engine. Just a thought and may help with future oil changes.
Old 11 March 2009, 10:02 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

^^^

v good point. I only ever put 4ltrs in, take it for a run up to op temp, then re check cold next morning. Knowing my car the way I do, it's usually bang where I want it, just over halfway stone cold..

With regards to the OP, it does sound to me like the previous owner has been running it on 'thicker' oil, I hope it wasn't to help mask something sinister..?! Thicker oil also equals higher cold oil pressure, possibly why the crank seal has gone..?