Notices

2002 STI ECU - Unable to read fault codes without ignition switched on

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2009, 03:39 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 STI ECU - Unable to read fault codes without ignition switched on

This is a bit of fall out from what Quinbys said when they changed the MAF on my STI. Apparently, their Subaru Monitor thing couldn't call up fault codes without the ignition being switched on. Now as per usual for most dealers, they pointed the finger of blame towards one of the little "additions" on the engine, although I can't possibly imagine what would effect the ECU like that. The only things connected to the electrical system in any way are a set of STI Genome Defi's, a Blitz turbo timer, and a PSI3 data monitor.

Oddly enough, my PSI3 comes up with an alarm on startup saying that its unable to load data defaults or something similar (other posts on here from me detail this).

I can't help but think the two are connected in some way. Any ECU experts like to hazard a guess?
Old 05 March 2009, 07:19 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

The ignition has to be switched to the on position to read fault codes or to communicate with the ECU in any way.

Or do they mean that the engine had to actually be running to read the fault codes?
Old 05 March 2009, 07:29 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

*just checked my tech manuals*

They were talking about the Subaru Select Monitor - the impression I got from them was that it should be able to interrogate the ECU without the ignition on, and the fact that they couldn't achieve that was a problem to them.

Just looking through my subaru technical manuals and that says that the ignition needs to be on for the Subaru Select monitor to work - so god knows what they were on about.