Fuel cut/boost spike issue

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2009, 07:33 PM
kwalker705
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel cut/boost spike issue

Hello folks.

I'm new to the world of subarus as I have just got my hands on a 93 WRX.

I'm looking for a little advice so I'll tell you what i can but please dont rip me to pieces if I'm asking a daft question.

Right . The car has some basic mods and has been remapped to run 17psi of boost. But whats happening is. when I accelerate nice and gently or feed the power in smoothly the car pulls well and boosts properly with no problems. But when I mash the throttle pedal into the floor the car boosts then dies(sort of limp mode) then the boost comes back on again and everythings fine.

My suspision is that the boost is spiking and its hitting its fuel cut/safety limit and putting the car into limp mode .

Basically i want to know if anyone can confirm this is a pretty good explanation of whats happening I also want to know the best way to screw the boost down. Is it by a remap ?? Fitting a boost controller ??? or a bleed valve ??? I'm used to honda turbos and nissan silvias. Not sure of the prefered/best method on imprezas.

Or if someone else has a suspicion it may be another problem please come forward and advise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks for looking
Old 22 February 2009, 07:52 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Well firstly your ECU cannot be remapped as standard (u8 i think as standard), it will require an aftermarket ECU to allow mapping, if it is an aftermarket then you need to find out what it is.
If it is a OE item then it maybe 'chipped' or have a 'piggy back' type device fitted.
The ECU is located in the passenger side footwell (lift carpet and remove kick plate) take a look if you already haven't and see what you've got!
Also may have a MBC fitted, as your prob aware this will be located between the turbo nipple and the wastegate actuator. You may need to check and clean the Boost Solenoid too. Hth
Old 22 February 2009, 08:07 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Sounds like boost cut, 93 Ecu's can have daughter boards etc fitted to enable live mapping or chipped, alternatively this could be a standalone unit. As mentioned above take a look and see what you have first.

To lower the boost, the same principle applies. You can fit a manual or electronic boost controller or enlarge the boost restrictor assuming the ecu can’t be tweaked.
Old 24 March 2010, 09:41 PM
brettbman
Scooby Newbie

Hi there sorry to bother you i too an having the same trouble i just brought my first scooby but found a problem the next day i got a 2.0 turbo uk wagon s reg.
The problem is the first day it was running at 0.9 bar holding and would spike at 1.2 bar but now for some reason ?????? it gets to 1.2 and doesnt spike holds then i get a joult??? a big joult too???? any idears???
cheers
brett