Notices

v2 sti ra bogging when cold

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2009, 10:11 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v2 sti ra bogging when cold

hi every one, new a posting so please be patient.

as above my ra has started bogging / flat spot when cold ,it seems to happen at 2500 rpm but when it warmed up its ok. it doesent matter what time of day i start it but its mainly when its raining or frosty.

the problem first happend a few months back when it rained like buggerie, i had a mini vent on with the vent plate removed to get more air in to the hks air filter. obviosly the filter got wet and it run like crap. so i put the standard set up back on air box, resonator, vent cover. i cleaned out the maf sensor, boost seloniod with carb cleaner and it was all hunky dorey for a while but it has started bogging again when cold. my car is fairly standard spec it has stainless headers, up pipe, and a full decat exhaust, wolbro 255 and a hks fuel cut defender.

any help would be greatful
Old 19 February 2009, 09:29 AM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

is the air filter blocked?
....running rich on start-up/cold and with a blocked air filter COULD cause the engine to run too rich and bog down

hth
Old 19 February 2009, 06:15 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

the hks foam mushroom filter that was on is clean, i put the standard airbox back on with a new standard filter panel in it. it not running the same boost as before slightly less pull form the car because of the standard air box . i thought it might be the maf but wouldnt it play up all the time hot or cold. do the scoobs have a automatic choke as that might be sticking . the car run ok this morning no bogging or flat spots . also does any one know if the sti has a different green sticker maf than the wrx's the one thats on is a r60 last 3 letters, it has gold jap writing on it so i think its been changed at some point.
Old 19 February 2009, 08:05 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

I have the same model, and your problem sounds like what I had.
It used to miss-fire under certain circumstances, a minute or two after a cold start (just as the water temp gauge started to lift), only for a short time (30 sec to 1 min) and then it would be fine.

I too have a HKS mushroom filter and it took me a while to track down the cause. At first I thought it was water related, coming in the bonnet vents, getting on some electrical connection or on the filter. As it seemed to only happen after the car was left out overnight in the rain, but it then started to do it when it had been bone dry outside.

Next was condition of plugs and coils, fuel pressure, coolant temp sensor. But it still happened. I never had any CELs.

The only thing left was the lambda sensor. I changed it and solved the problem. (a rough life span of these is 50k miles).
Old 19 February 2009, 08:12 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

have i bought your old car because that sound spot on decription of what my problem is, ill have to get a lamber sensor ordered and see how that goes. thanks
Old 19 February 2009, 08:52 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

No probs, I got a Bosch universal sensor for about £40 ish.