Notices

How do I dismantle the electric door mirror ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2009, 11:10 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How do I dismantle the electric door mirror ?

I have a JDM Forester T/tb and I need to know if it is possible to dismantle the electric door mounted mirror. On this car the glass moves up/down/left/right within the housing but the whole housing also folds flat against the door, all from electrical motors/switches etc.
I need to replace the mirror plastic housing, all glass and motors are OK.
I can see that the unit attaches to the stub on the door with 3 bolt/screws from underneath but how do I then set about removing glass and motors to fit a new body ? IF it is possible-I suppose that it could be a sealed unit and I just have to get a complete replacement !

Anyone know/done it ?

Cheers

JBL
Old 12 February 2009, 09:16 PM
scoobistu
Scooby Newbie

no need to buy new one there not sealed,go to the kitchen and find a pallet knife(its 12" long about 1" wide 1mm thick with a rounded end) your mum will know what one is if your not sure.there`s 2 sticky pads either at the top and bottem or the left and right of the glass,slide the knife between the black plastic back plate and the glass and slice through the pads(be gentle no twisting)once the glass is off there will be 4 screws holding the back plate on undo,behind the back plate there is the tilt motor(before you do anymore make sure you`v taken off the metel bracket that holds it to the door)the tilt motor is conected to a cast plate undo 4 screws from cast plate,the cast plate and the folding motor its connected to should slide out the front of the plastic housing.problem solved,any probs let me know.stu
Old 12 February 2009, 10:19 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the excellent info'.
Once it stops snowing and is a bit warmer I will give it a go. I "might" be able to glue (strong) the housing back together but if not then will just get another and fix the workings to it.

Cheers

JBL
Old 12 February 2009, 10:35 PM
scoobistu
Scooby Newbie

do you know how to get it off the car?i managed to fix mine and it was smashed up pretty good!you need to get some apoxy resin it comes in 2 tubes and you mix equal amounts of each apply it and it go`s off like concrete and it sands down ok too.if your goin to respray it yourself do it in a warm dust free place if it too cold the paint will go flat.let me know if you need any more info.stu.
Old 12 February 2009, 11:01 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the method as mentioned, but a quick pour over with some boiling water will make it much easier. I never needed any glue to stick it back in, used boiling water again and the plastic clipped back around the glass when it cooled.
Old 12 February 2009, 11:06 PM
scoobistu
Scooby Newbie

the glue is to glue the housing back together.