STi buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2009, 06:49 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi buying advice

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice from you all to help me decide what car to buy next. The three options I'm currently looking at are:-

1. Un-modded MY05 JDM STi, low mileage and very good condition.
2. Reasonably unmolested MY04 Spec-C, low mileage and very good condition.
3. MY05 Type-UK STi, lowish mileage with good mods/remap or PPP.

For the past 4 years I've owned a sensibly modded bugeye WRX but want to upgrade to an STi. I use the car everyday to drive to work, drop the kids off at school, etc. and average about 8-9k miles per year. I also do the odd long journey for work but not often enough to warrant buying an oil burner . (although the drone at 70mph () from a decat can be a bit intrusive after 350+ motorway miles).

I also like to get proper use out of my car, enjoying regular spirited driving on A and B roads. I guess I'm saying I don't own a scooby for some kind of image boost or trophy car - I'm not into 'show n shine'. I own it because I like to drive it as it's meant to be driven.

I've been waiting for a nice JDM STi to come along and I've seen a couple advertised recently, however there are also some good buys to be had on some of the mint Type-UK's on autotrader/pistonheads at the moment.

Then there's the possiblity of a Spec-C, again there are a couple for sale in different places at the moment, including one on here.

So my question is, is it worth the extra cash for a JDM over a Type-UK and is a Spec-C a step up again over a JDM and is it an everyday car.

Any advice welcome

(p.s. No offence to any of you 'best in show' people, I've nothing against show n shine, I just can't be arsed to clean mine to that level of detail - I'd rather be watching the footy than polishing my airbox cover )
Old 08 February 2009, 06:52 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

If Carlsberg made cars they'd make a Spec C ... my choice

TX.
Old 08 February 2009, 08:29 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Thanks TX, anyone else?
Old 10 February 2009, 12:25 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I have a 2003 JDM Sti, I test drove a Spec C but went for the STi GL as it had most of what the good bits are on the Spec C whilst having other electrical goodies.

In performance terms Spec C vs JDM STi GL is like the difference between having a passenger on board given like for like power.

At the end of the day it's down to personal preferance. I have had mine for coming up to 6 years and should really look at selling and getting something newer but cannot find anything that comes near as being as good other than a newer version JDM.

The only reason to go for a UK spec is it has the burble flat four exhaust note where as the JDM's don't. Year on year the UK spec cars are always of a lower spec than JDM's.

HTH.
Old 08 March 2009, 05:36 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
I have a 2003 JDM Sti, I test drove a Spec C but went for the STi GL as it had most of what the good bits are on the Spec C whilst having other electrical goodies.

In performance terms Spec C vs JDM STi GL is like the difference between having a passenger on board given like for like power.

At the end of the day it's down to personal preferance. I have had mine for coming up to 6 years and should really look at selling and getting something newer but cannot find anything that comes near as being as good other than a newer version JDM.

The only reason to go for a UK spec is it has the burble flat four exhaust note where as the JDM's don't. Year on year the UK spec cars are always of a lower spec than JDM's.

HTH.
As a quick update, (and thanks for the feedback), I went for the Spec C A great car IMO and I'm really glad I went for a JDM over a Type UK because the power delivery and available torque is outstanding.

I do miss the burble and to be honest with the standard STi exhaust system on, the Spec C hardly makes any noise at all (other than tyre/road noise due to lack of sound proofing), so much so that I'm going to fit a new system to it to improve the sound.

However other than than, a remarkable car and I wouldn't go back to a UK Impreza again (no offence to UK owners ). I'll keep this Spec C for 2 to 4 years and then buy a JDM Spec C hatchback model or mint 'last of the run' T25 or Spec C Type RA hawkeye

Last edited by Trap2Terrorist; 08 March 2009 at 05:42 PM.