Notices

Knock Sensor Please Help Me

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2009, 06:33 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Sensor Please Help Me

Hello, I'm new to this site and it's really confusing so i'm going to post this here instead. Would anyone be able to tell me where I can get a knock sensor for my 1995 impreza. I think I can fit it myself but I dont seem to be able to get one anywhere.

And to be honest I dont know if thats my problem, The stop engine light comes on on the dash and then goes out and I may not see it for a few days and then it comes back on for a bit. The fault code reads number 22 which is knock sensor, so I'm going to change it, but i'm worried something is wrong!

I dont know if the knock sensor has anything to do with the car be hesitant when you pull away and when you put your foot down and sometimes it sounds terrible, other days it's fine! It's really doing my head in as I know very little about this car and i'm struggling to get sence!

I have reset the ecu and as soon as i started the car the light on the dash came on with the revs going up and down a bit and she sometimes does that at junctions.

I'm completely fed and starting to hate driving her which I never thought i'd say!

PLEASE HELP ME
Old 03 February 2009, 06:38 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

have you tried a subaru dealer for the sensor?
i'd personnally be getting the car looked at by a mechanic as soon as possible , incase any perminant damage is done.

Last edited by stigaz; 03 February 2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03 February 2009, 06:39 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

theres one, ebay link, dont be dis heartened, i had probs with mine, piston slap, eventually rebuilt engine myself, now im well chuffed with it, keeps getting better. chin up

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza-WRX-Turbo-Knock-Link-Sensor_W0QQitemZ370153808976QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3701538089 76&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689|66%3A2 |65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
Old 03 February 2009, 07:03 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Thanks I just bought the one on ebay, Thanks Thought I may as well try that one first before getting a new one. I didn't realise how expensive a new sensor would be, almost passed out when some guy told me £114 for something so small!

Thanks for your help, Claire
Old 03 February 2009, 08:08 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

hi

you mentioned the revs are hunting a bit... does it idle a bit too fast too? Possibility it could also be the mass air flow sensor. messes up the idle and can make the car a bit hesitant when driving. if the MAF is playing up the ECU might get confused about how much fuel it needs to inject, potentially leading to a lean situation which can bring on genuine knock...

Let me know how you get on with a new knock sensor tho-- could well be the solution. i am kind of in the same boat as you at the moment!

regards
Ash
Old 03 February 2009, 11:13 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do replace the Knock Sensor,the retaining bolt needs to be torqued up to 24Nm.

Mick
Old 04 February 2009, 12:12 AM
mbd sti2
Scooby Regular

must be time of year just changed mine last week, for a 1995 v2 car i found the only one that was correct was a genuine subaru one, after many hour searching the US and japan for one, i rang roger clarke and they said the early engine has a different sensor than a later car bad news is a new subaru one costs £110 but what a difference it made to mine good luck
Old 05 February 2009, 12:45 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to try and fit it the one I got off ebay later, see if it makes a different! I hope it does otherwise I'm back to square one again!
Old 06 February 2009, 01:16 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Here is the update, I've changed the knock sensor and no wonder it was showing up faulty because it was split in half and the person before me tried sellotaping it back together. It seems to have helped the car when pulling away from a junction and she seems to pull much better when I put my foot down! I took her for a long spin and she was running great, i was so chuffed! But when i got back into town she seemed to miss a bit, only a little, just a small jerk when putting my foot down! Seems as if she doesn't get fuel quick enough, OH i dont know but I'm so gutted because i thought i'd solved it!

Any one got any ideas what could be wrong now?

Thanks Claire
Old 06 February 2009, 03:32 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Hi Claire, Dont loose faith its a steep learning curve on these Scoobs if its your first, i was the same starting from scratch, use the search facility, well worth it as most of the problems have been covered and solved in previous posts, plus you can read to your hearts content, knowledge is power
Your problem could as mentioned above be the MAF but there could also be so many other causes. From what you have said about the knock being taped up it sounds like its not been to well looked after in the maitainance stakes so would be worth giving it a plug and oil change for starters, very sensitive to good plugs are Scoobs and even if it doesnt solve the prob it will do no harm.Hth

Last edited by Glowplug; 06 February 2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06 February 2009, 04:56 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Well I changed the plugs and she had an engine oil and gearbox oil change about a month ago when it started playing up! Thought I'd start with the bits I knew might cause these problems! But I dont know anything about this car to be honest, I had a classic mini before and she was a lot easier to work on, get parts for and it was a very simple straight forward engine. I've been reading some of the other posts but there is just so many but it's interesting cause i'm learning a bit about scooby's! Got to start somewhere ha ha

Thanks for you advice
Claire
Old 06 February 2009, 06:12 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Nice one What plugs did you fit and what did you gap them too??

Last edited by Glowplug; 06 February 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07 February 2009, 08:23 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

They were NGK PFR6B Spark Plugs, But I haven't got a clue what gap they where, Just got them fitted? I'm guessing I should have checked that then!
Old 07 February 2009, 08:32 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just skimmed this thread, saw some prices. I know you've got one now, but I got one from subaru a few months back, and it was 85 quid.
Old 07 February 2009, 09:40 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blueg14rep
They were NGK PFR6B Spark Plugs, But I haven't got a clue what gap they where, Just got them fitted? I'm guessing I should have checked that then!
Yeah incorrect gap can cause a miss, whip um out and check, should be 0.028"-0.031" (0.7-0.8 mm)
Old 09 February 2009, 05:49 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

I had a garage fit them because they looked really hard to do and I dont know much about this car! Why wouldn't they be the right gap size to start with. Thats silly!
Old 09 February 2009, 06:02 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I had a garage fit them because they looked really hard to do and I dont know much about this car! Why wouldn't they be the right gap size to start with. Thats silly!
Thought you sounded like a girl that didn't mind getting her hands dirty In my experiance they do not come gapped correctly out of the box, different cars use the same plugs but may require a different gap, and as said before, very sensitive to good plugs and the right gap are Scoops! Its gotta be worth a check if theres a chance it will cure your miss They are a piece of cake to do, take ya half hour, remove air intake and washer bottle, use a 10mm plug socket and short ext bar, you can check your coil packs while your at it, simples
Old 09 February 2009, 06:35 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Oh i dont mind getting my hands dirty, But I couldn't even see the plugs alone start trying to do it! I'm very good and stripping things its just i'm useless at putting things back together! I was good on my mini but that was a very simple engine and even when i got stuck i had the manual to look at! I cant find and books or drawing in the bloody car! I dont want to start something if I dont know what i'm doing, The luck i get i'd put it back together and start her and something would blow up because i didn't do something right! Dont have that much funds to throw at her at the moment!
Old 09 February 2009, 06:45 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Be brave Heres some manuals for ya, courtesty of slipsteamuk, please bump his thread back to the top when you've downloaded, that is his only requirment for providing this free service Might be worth talking to your garage and asking if they checked/set the gap prior to fitting

Helps if i paste the link, doh

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...w-updated.html

Last edited by Glowplug; 09 February 2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09 February 2009, 11:04 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

scoobymods.com is a good site for how to guides
Old 10 February 2009, 01:00 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Be brave Heres some manuals for ya, courtesty of slipsteamuk, please bump his thread back to the top when you've downloaded, that is his only requirment for providing this free service Might be worth talking to your garage and asking if they checked/set the gap prior to fitting

FREE WORKSHOP MANUALS & DIAGRAMS *new & updated*
Old 10 February 2009, 01:02 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat

https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...w-updated.html

Hi Thanks, How do i bump it up?
Old 10 February 2009, 01:18 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Hi Thanks, How do i bump it up?
You cant now it been moved, its been a while since i've been on it, looks like its stuck now

ps. Love your reg plate

Last edited by Glowplug; 10 February 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10 February 2009, 01:39 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Oh Thanks, The Police Dont Leave Me Alone Tho! They Are Always Pulling Me Because They Say You Cant Read It!

They Just Got Nothing Else To Do!
Old 10 February 2009, 03:30 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Only see what they want to see, G14RE as a bell from here