Notices

Boost Controller Advice Please...

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2009, 10:19 AM
Julio Jordio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Controller Advice Please...

Morning Guys,

I have had a slight fuelling issue with my Classic. I have a Link G3 ECU fitted with some other bits and a remap from Bob Rawle so its running 319 bhp.

Now, I have noticed over the last few weeks the car felt, well, "different". Its quite hard to explain, but It left me feeling concerned I may have a big problem coming...

I had a friend who is a top notch mechanic give it the once over and he reassured me all was well, no water in my oil, oil looked fine, but advised that the engine sounded as though it was "pinking" (sp?) running lean on warm up, and that If I got myself a boost controller I would be about to play with the fuelling and up it a little.

So, I have been having a looksie, and the Apexi AVCR seems to be the one to go for. So before i spunk 300-400 quid on one of these tricky little bad boys, people of scoobynet, is it worth it? And would this be able to solve the above issue? I know the previous owner had a Apexi AVCR fitted to the car before I bought it, could him removing it have caused anything on the map to change at all?

I have been considering uprating my turbo and intercooler, so the Apexi would be great for that, but I want to sort this fuelling issue first.

Many thanks in advance.

Jordan
Old 30 January 2009, 11:17 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boost controller doesn't alter the fuelling, although you can decrease the boost if the issue is too much boost and therefore lean.. however..

Take it back to Bob and get him to check it.. don't go spending money and adding parts let bob check it and sort.

Simon
Old 30 January 2009, 11:24 AM
Julio Jordio
Scooby Regular

Thanks Simon.

Dough is tight as it is at the moment, I dont want to be spending when I dont have to.

So the controller would be useless? Is a mapping session the only way to resolve this?
Old 30 January 2009, 11:32 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it needs checking..

if you had the car mapped and it has been running fine and now it is not running right for no apparently reason then you need to get it back to mapper to have a look.. it could be something simple under the bonnet or the fuel pump is failing for example. But you could go around changing parts, fitting boost controllers etc when it could just be a split pipe.

Get Bob to look at it.

Simon
Old 30 January 2009, 11:47 AM
Julio Jordio
Scooby Regular

Agreed. Thanks mate, I would have just bought one hoping It'd be a fix.