Notices

Resonator-ectomy/snorkel removal

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2009, 10:44 PM
ma_99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonator-ectomy/snorkel removal

Ive removed my hks induction kit from my v3 sti and replaced with standard air box and sti panel filter. I miss the noise and the performance from the hks, car feels alot slower now although it does feel much much smoother. I do think the hks was sucking in hot air. Id like to get the performance and noise back so i was thinking about removing the resonator. But it goes into the air box, if i remove it from the inner wing, wont this reduce the amount of air going into the air box????

Is there anything else i need to know?
Old 24 January 2009, 10:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Harvey did some testing of this and found that removing it upsets the airflow, reducing performance. I did it to my car and enjoyed hearing the OE recirc DV venting (quietly, but audible) and the turbo spooling up, but can't say how power was affected as I never tested it. Don't mean to pee on your bonfire, but Harvey and Scoobymag both tested many air filters and concluded that the STi version offered less power and worse filtration than even the OE paper item. Combined with it being serviceable, not lifetime, you don't even save any cash in the long run with it. Pretty though !
Old 25 January 2009, 07:16 PM
ma_99
Scooby Regular

I did alot of research before i bought the sti panel filter. I made sure i read loads of other ppls experiences etc and concluded that the sti filter is meant to be the best, especially from what ive read from BOB R otherwise i would have gone for green/hks.

I didnt want to get k&n as the oil can damage the MAF. wat about a cold air feed from the airbox going into the inner wing??
Old 25 January 2009, 07:27 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I had my airbox sealed to the wing and all other apertures between the two sealed, with a vent in the undertray along with an opening in the bumper to get air into the wing. On track I removed the O/S foglight to get extra air in too. I opted not to duct directly into the box as excess water, oil, dirt or whatever has been known to overwhelm the filter and make it into the intake, damaging the MAF. Worked OK for me.
Old 26 January 2009, 12:46 AM
daijones
Scooby Regular

I swapped the resonator for a GP moto intake elbow:
GPMoto Fast Stuff!
Don't think you can find them in this country though, I got mine mail order from the US but that was when the exchange rates were more favourable. The postage was ridiculous though! Had it remapped the next day, so didn't get a chance to judge the effect of the change. It did pretty well on the rollers though

D
Old 26 January 2009, 06:24 PM
ma_99
Scooby Regular

Yeh i was thinking about putting in the GP elbow but dont know if it will fit the classic??? Also, i dont like the way the air goes in from the hot engine bay into the duct, the newage shape sucks in the air from the grill, classics have ducts which allow the air to go up from behind the radiator, silly really.

Ive removed my resonator today and its gone back to how it was when i had the HKS on (harsh throttle)

Its completely removed the smoothness i was enjoying for the last few days since i took the HKS out.

In terms of raw power its alright, i think its slightly better than with the resonator in but still not as good as when the HKS was on. Akthough i havent tested it in 2nd/3rd yet.

BUT!!! i miss that damn smoothness!!!!
Old 27 January 2009, 10:27 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If you look closely at the front of a new-age you'll see that there is a rubber seal along the front line of the bonnet, and the bonnet itself touches onto the rubber of the headlight seal making it difficult for a good flow of air. The Scoop is positioned above the front panel with the grille below it, making flow from the grille difficult too. This is why I let mine draw its air from the wing, sealing the wing from the hot, dirty engine bay but opening up venting for extra cold, hopefully clean air.
Old 27 January 2009, 08:02 PM
ma_99
Scooby Regular

Ok ive jus tested the car in 2nd n 3rd, results are:

Excellent!!! Much better performance without the resonator box!!!
Makes a good noise, and im not just saying this but you can actually tell the car is sucking in cold air, when i had the hks on you could tell the car was sucking in hot air.

Good response from throttle.

What ive done is ive left the air duct which goes from behind the radiator into the wing, i dont know if i should remove this and seal it up?

The car now runs somewhere in the middle of stock/hks induction kit, its not as smooth as with the resonator in place but smoother than the hks setup.

Personally id say this is quite a good mod.
Old 27 January 2009, 10:24 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I did this mod on my MY03 STI and also enjoyed the audible induction sound.
As Corradoboy, I sealed any gaps at the wing to prevent hot air being drawn into the airbox.

I will probably do the same on my classic at some time.
Old 28 January 2009, 12:36 AM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

what is the sensor for on the duct going into the wing? i have posted a thread asking the questions but no replies, thought you guys might know.
Old 28 January 2009, 01:02 PM
ma_99
Scooby Regular

Guess that probably just reads airflow in accordance with the MAF????

What is the best thing to use to seal the holes left from the resonator???