Notices

coolant coming out when hot

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2009, 06:39 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant coming out when hot

Hi I have just fitted a second hand/recon engine from smk engines the coolant keeps blowing out of the expantion bottle we have fitted a new water pump ,stat (it is ok) , rad , on tick over no problem it will run in the garrage as soon as you take it up the road it blows coolant out of the over flow and gets hot I have been carefull to make sure that there is no air locks by sqezzing the bottom hose and uncliping the hoses on the header tank and filling them but as soon as i take it up the road out it comes there is bubles in the expantion tank when it blows the coolant out is there an simple test's to see if it is a head gaskit problem (no signe of oil in header) also if it is can the head gaskit be replaced without taking the motor out
Old 23 January 2009, 07:16 PM
Snapon
Scooby Newbie

Have you changed the rad cap?
Old 23 January 2009, 07:21 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

sorry chum, but it sounds like a head gasket
a compression test should prove it
Old 23 January 2009, 07:32 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snapon
Have you changed the rad cap?
no I havent I must admit it did Cross My mind do you think this could cause the problem
Old 23 January 2009, 07:41 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobian
sorry chum, but it sounds like a head gasket
a compression test should prove it
I was clutching at straws I think it is head gaskit but I thought that someone on scoobynet may have had a similar problem and found it was somthing realy simple you never know your luck do you know if the hg can be replaced in the car of will it have to come out the engine has a 6 month warrantee so I should be ok to get it fixed and send smk the bill if it has to come out I may as well send it back and get a refund
Old 23 January 2009, 07:46 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was told they can be done in the car but its actually easier to take the engine out and you can do a better job when engine is out.

rad cap is a possibility.

the trick to fill em up is to fill very slowley via the top rad hose. fill the block and then fill the rad then reconnect top hose.
Old 23 January 2009, 07:50 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear that you are still having probs m8
Old 23 January 2009, 07:54 PM
wrxbart
Scooby Regular

before you do anything phone the engine company,i had this with one off them and they replaced the engine but didnt cover the labour of me fitting it.
Old 23 January 2009, 07:59 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzreid1964
sorry to hear that you are still having probs m8
I dont supose you are about tomorrow may be an idea to try another rad cap If you fancy a cupa I will pop down to brecon and pick you up and your rad cap and drop you back after It would be a help last resort before the motor comes back out
Old 23 January 2009, 08:01 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

It could be too much anti freeze? I've heard that too much anti freeze in your coolant mixture can cause it to boil.
Old 23 January 2009, 08:01 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxbart
before you do anything phone the engine company,i had this with one off them and they replaced the engine but didnt cover the labour of me fitting it.
how did you find getting hold of them they have been a bit hard to get hold of ,the phone just keeps ringing
Old 23 January 2009, 08:03 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't kid yourself..... it points to a Head Gasket. Been there myself last week and no matter what you try, if you are getting coolant blown out of your expansion tank, you have air in your system. If you have bleed the system than the air is coming from the combustion chamber under boost.

You will find that the bottom rad hose is stone cold as air rests before the stat. The stat does not open, so the water overheats and blows out of the expansion tank. If you rev the engine to around 3k and keep it there, the water will be forced to the thermostat, which will then open and the temps will go back down. The cycle then starts again.

Don't bother with the normal HG checks as I have been informed they rarely prove anything on a Scoob (sniffer in expansion tank or mayo substance on the oil filler cap).

Sorry.
Old 23 January 2009, 08:03 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
It could be too much anti freeze? I've heard that too much anti freeze in your coolant mixture can cause it to boil.
its spat that much out I dont think there is much left now cost me a fortune in antifreeze
Old 23 January 2009, 08:09 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

headgasket............
Old 23 January 2009, 08:17 PM
wrxbart
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s20pe
how did you find getting hold of them they have been a bit hard to get hold of ,the phone just keeps ringing
Took ages but got hold of them eventually
Old 23 January 2009, 08:17 PM
mark28
Scooby Regular

Location: "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary...Now that's what gets you."

would not worry about cost of anti-freeze i would worry about the hours you have spent on it and then the rest you have got to do to fix it.

i would say it sounds like the head gasket but i would just check you have got the hoses in the correct places. sounds silly but seen it done.
Old 23 January 2009, 08:19 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
Don't kid yourself..... it points to a Head Gasket. Been there myself last week and no matter what you try, if you are getting coolant blown out of your expansion tank, you have air in your system. If you have bleed the system than the air is coming from the combustion chamber under boost.

You will find that the bottom rad hose is stone cold as air rests before the stat. The stat does not open, so the water overheats and blows out of the expansion tank. If you rev the engine to around 3k and keep it there, the water will be forced to the thermostat, which will then open and the temps will go back down. The cycle then starts again.

Don't bother with the normal HG checks as I have been informed they rarely prove anything on a Scoob (sniffer in expansion tank or mayo substance on the oil filler cap).

Sorry.
Ithink you are spot on I havent driven the car more than 4 miles in one go yet , after spending all those hours fitting the engine and spending £1300 you hope for the best and someone to say blaaa blaa blaa thats a simpile one and its fixed O well better get used to the idea and tell the wife she wont be seeing me for a while she's been moaning that I spend more time and money on the scooby than her now
Old 23 January 2009, 08:22 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

i thought smr engines were rebuilt?
Old 23 January 2009, 08:52 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
i thought smr engines were rebuilt?
so did I They may have a little explaining to do
Old 23 January 2009, 09:46 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

not the first time i heard of a suppossed rebuilt engine with problems
Old 23 January 2009, 10:32 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

yhpm
Old 23 January 2009, 10:33 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
not the first time i heard of a suppossed rebuilt engine with problems
to be honest mate when I saw it there was no evedence of new gaskets It just looked like it had been cleaned and repainted no risk to them just send it out and hope for the best but for the customer all the work its easy to say we will send out another I think I will ask for arefund and rebuild my original unit myself at least I know its been done properly
Old 23 January 2009, 10:58 PM
elv
Scooby Newbie

Deffo sounds like the headgasket mate You need to do a sniffer test on the cooling system to detect exhaust gasses.. Call the AA or Rac out and tell em you've got an overheating prob.. they'll do the sniffer test FOC (providing you've got breakdown cover??) Hope you get it sorted whatever the problem is mate..
Old 24 January 2009, 12:14 AM
spudit
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up just sum info for u

hi it's deffo air getting in the sytem sum how if u want to find out if it's the head gaskit start the car hold it about 4000 rpm and get sumone to look what's coming out the tail pipe if it looks like steam the head gaskit is gubbed and it can be done without take the engine out
Old 24 January 2009, 08:15 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

headgaskets, headgaskets,headgaskets...........
Old 24 January 2009, 09:08 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

sounds unfortunately for you as if the head gaskets are shot..........
Old 24 January 2009, 10:24 AM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Had a problem like this on my car which was pushing water out the coolant tank, turned out to be a blocked pipe near the rad which was stopping the water flow. So it's not always the head gasket

Drain the system, check all the pipes and see if there is a block, refill and recheck. Sorted my problem out since it could be an air lock etc. If the problem continues I would also say the heads are on the way out. Now I got a quote for £800 for them to be replaced so hopefully you'll get it fixed on warrenty since the cost is mostly labour for fitting (long job)

Also got told that with subaru's heads can crack and also aren't that strong (even more so on earlier models) and again they apparently don't always show white liquid or residue on the oil cap either so can't always tell that way!

Hope it gets sorted.
Old 24 January 2009, 11:23 AM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Sorry to say but it sounds like a headgasket, and as you said earlier i would definitely rebuild the old. Unless you get hold of a cheap closed deck block then rebuild that.

Good Luck
Old 24 January 2009, 04:37 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun

Sorry.

Shaun's absolutely spot on! He's described - to a tee - exactly what happened to my car last Friday (seemingly, the same as the OP's too!). I too replaced my 'stat/pump first!

To rule out blocked pipes/rad, take the car out again and give it some boost for the symptoms to happen again i.e. boost causing an airlock... causing temps to rise... causing coolant out an header tank, etc. Then carefully remove the pressure cap and stick your nose in the opening - does it smell of horrible combustion gases (rather than sweet antifreeze)? If so, then 100% HG!...

(I'm waiting on a HGs replacement/heads skim quote from Zen as we speak. Already had a quote from RCM...).

Last edited by joz8968; 24 January 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 24 January 2009, 04:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by joz8968
(I'm waiting on a HGs replacement/heads skim quote from Zen as we speak. Already had a quote from RCM, but can't bear to post it!... lol).
Can i guess for you?
£800?

Tony

Quick Reply: coolant coming out when hot