Notices

oil changes!

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2009, 03:33 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil changes!

what are all your opinions on this subject?,since ive had my car i have changed the oil and filter about 5 times but after reading on here about oil changes im getting a bit worried,i didnt fill the oil filter before fitting and i didnt disconnect any sensors etc,car has been absolutely fine.so how do u all do yours? is this sensor disconnection nessesary? do i need to fill filter with oil before fitment.if i carry on doing it the normal way am i lookng at future probs? if i do need to disconnect sensor,which one is it? what does it look like and where can i find it? what is the correct routine for all of this? any info would be a great help as the last thing i need is an engine failure due to being naive!
Old 21 January 2009, 05:04 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

soooooooo........... anyone? am i doing it correct? someones gotta know!
Old 21 January 2009, 05:06 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

i always fill the filter up with oil no matter what car it is that i am changing the oil on.
I assume that they are talking about removing a sensor so it doesnt fire so it builds up the pressure first before you then fire it up, i'd recommend this as well.
These are just my opinions but i have always done it this way
Old 21 January 2009, 05:28 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

other opinions????? which sensor?there must be a routine procedure for this! am i doing it incorect?
Old 21 January 2009, 05:33 PM
STIAN
Scooby Newbie

Just unplug the crank position sensor for a few turn overs, primeing the filter is a must IMHO.
Old 21 January 2009, 05:36 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

where is the crank sensor and what does it look like? is it really important?
Old 21 January 2009, 05:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think this forum, gossip and internet scaremongering has you somewhat over-concerned......relax!

Subaru have NEVER advocated pre-filling the oil filter or cranking the engine with the crank sensor disconnected. So from an official stance, you have done nothing wrong. Nobody has ever proven that doing this causes damage - only giving circumstantial facts (fact: most failing/worn engines fail shortly after oil changes, this happens with many engines, not just Subaru!)

So take all the stuff you've see as non-official advice based on loose unprovable conjecture.

All that said, there is no harm in pre-filling the filter. Yes you can go further by disconnecting the crank sensor underneath the alternator (which will log a fault code in the ECU on later cars).

You can go "even further" by removing the spark plugs as well when cranking the engine.

Personally, my opinion is that the latter two are steps OTT.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 January 2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 21 January 2009, 05:51 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

great so all i should be doing different is pre filling filter? not the end of the world then? ill do that on the next oil change,does anyone disagree with this?
Old 21 January 2009, 07:00 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

I have done numerous oil/filter changes on mine and I do pre fill the filter, just because it makes sense. Once I have done the change I just start up and check for leaks. I have never had a problem and I have done this on the same car for nearly 8 years now.
Old 21 January 2009, 07:17 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

thanks for that,u just gave me peace of mind. do u fill the oil filter all the way to the top?
Old 21 January 2009, 08:36 PM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

Hello there, as above, relax, and it is a bit OTT to disconnect sensor.

This could go on for a bit. I'd just say fill the filter up just so it does suck in air, but to be honest doesnt matter if you forget to fill it.

You could then go on, that the oil is un filtered if filled up, not that'll be much.

Just enjoy the car.

Peace out
Old 21 January 2009, 09:14 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

The fact you've changed the oil 5 times with no issues should be some reassurance to you. You must be doing it right! Priming the filter makes sense...add alittle at a time, allow it to soak into the filter. top up allow to soak in until its full.
Old 21 January 2009, 09:43 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
what are all your opinions on this subject?,since ive had my car i have changed the oil and filter about 5 times but after reading on here about oil changes im getting a bit worried,i didnt fill the oil filter before fitting and i didnt disconnect any sensors etc,car has been absolutely fine.so how do u all do yours? is this sensor disconnection nessesary? do i need to fill filter with oil before fitment.if i carry on doing it the normal way am i lookng at future probs? if i do need to disconnect sensor,which one is it? what does it look like and where can i find it? what is the correct routine for all of this? any info would be a great help as the last thing i need is an engine failure due to being naive!
when changing my oil in our 6 cars i allways fill the filter to the top allowing any air to come out ,use good quality fully synth/ oil + teflon additive 2% of total and also in the gearbox and diff and power steering .i dont disconect any sensors at all .just crank and watch the oil pressure light ,which goes out very quickly. fast spin up on crank fast oil pressure build up ,done it for years never a problem. the teflon has coated the bearings anyway which means if there is a lul in oil pressure for a few seconds the brearings are lubed already
cheers geo
Old 21 January 2009, 10:00 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

thanks for all these helpfull comments
Old 21 January 2009, 11:22 PM
ausmatt
Scooby Newbie

Default oil change

Hi,
Just thought i'd point out, if you wanna follow a lot of manafacturers to the letter, they recommend that you don't fill the oil filter unless you are doing it correctly, the reason being that any oil, even if you pour it straight from the container, may still contain particles and is unfiltered oil, until it passes the correct way through the filter. Yes, the correct way, filter has an in an out obdviously, if you pour it straight into the filter it bypasses the filtering process, I don't fill filters and I don't disconnect plugs, been doing it that way as a mechanic for 17 years, yet to have a problem.
Each to their own though, I can see why some do. Just thought i'd put that out there.
Old 22 January 2009, 04:58 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

so should i fill the damn thing or not?
Old 22 January 2009, 07:10 PM
joe joe88
Scooby Regular

I always do mate purely because the fact that if you dont you always find yourself topping the car up with oil after its been running for a while because some of the oil your pouring into an empty sump has to then flow into the filter. The filter doesnt hold alot but you notice it on the dip stick. just my own personal experiance. i also pour some into the filter 1st then wait a few mins for it to soak in, then top it up again before screwing it back on the car.
Old 22 January 2009, 07:19 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

i can see this going on for a while anyone else?
Old 22 January 2009, 07:46 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Yep, this will go on for ages.

I would add that I prefill the filter but don't disconnect anything. But I had better not as some will point to the fact that I have had an engine go as proof affirmative that I am doing it wrong. Even tho my other Scoob is still going strong at 130k miles (touching wood)

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 22 January 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 22 January 2009, 07:50 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
i can see this going on for a while anyone else?
look m8 fill your filter anyway the clean oil that you take from a dispenser will be the cleanest that it will ever be m8 , if it aint i would be pritty pissed off at the manufacturer .it just gives the system a helping hand and stops any air locks in the system 37 years in the motor trade
25years of tunning cars building rally /race cars aint had any problems geo
Old 22 January 2009, 07:55 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

nice one thanks for that,so far im thinking i wont disconnect anything but will pre fill filter!i would like that to be the final thought but will see.
Old 26 January 2009, 02:10 AM
MrDimple
Former Sponsor

I agree with cusco kid, common sense is the only sense needed here and putting oil where it belongs straightaway makes sense to me. Less oil pump has to pump to pressurize system.
You have got it 99greenwagon.