as above, not too mess it all up.
Old 17 January 2009, 03:07 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fill oil filter before fitting it.
Remove spark plugs.
Disconnect crank sensor.
Crank engine over until oil pressure warning light goes out.

Mick
Old 17 January 2009, 03:14 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above plus lots of assembly lube on every moving componant during the build.

JohnD
Old 17 January 2009, 03:31 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and dont be surprised if you dont get the oil light ot go out without it starting
.....I didnt on th elast 2 builds I did (non scooby) could only get oil pressure once the engine started
...though obviously t helps to get the oil churning whilst spinning it over
Old 18 January 2009, 11:53 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by merlin24
Fill oil filter before fitting it.
Remove spark plugs.
Disconnect crank sensor.
Crank engine over until oil pressure warning light goes out.

Mick
Merlin, if you remove the plugs, is it necessary to disconnect the crank sensor, then?

Or is it done so that the disconnected coilpacks don't spark i.e. a health and safety type thing?
Old 19 January 2009, 01:16 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

If you don't disconnect the crank sensor it will still inject fuel..

you crank and engine over without spark plugs and coilpack within a few inhces of spark plug holes which now have fuel vapour could out of them

It makes a nice big flame..
Simon
Old 19 January 2009, 07:47 AM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

And dont forget to prime the oil pump on build up.
Old 19 January 2009, 10:44 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

It may take 1-2 minutes of cranking to acheive oil pressure if the oil pump isn't nicely primed. Your best bet is to get a good battery with charger on it, so you can crank the engine NON STOP, with the plugs out the loads on the engine and starter motor are very low, so don't be afraid of burning the starter. If you stop-start-stop-start it will do more damage. The issue is getting the pump to initially suck up the oil from the sump, hence Slowboy's comment about priming the pump, use assembly lube/graphogen type lube and it will be MUCH easier.
Old 19 January 2009, 03:15 PM
shaggy6
Scooby Regular

Insted of using assembly lube cant you just use a high viscosity oil such as GP50? this is what we do at work, we did try assembly lubes such as super lube however it turned out it took too long to degrade and gave us some oil starvation issues. This is just a thought
Old 19 January 2009, 03:36 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

would work fine i should think, just something that helps the pump seal when it it's sucking air to begin with. Torco assembly lube works fine, not come across "super lube" so can't comment.
Old 19 January 2009, 04:08 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb OIL PRESSURE after engine rebuild

Having rebuilt both O and T series Rover and MG Turbo engines, on two occasions despite several 15 seconds bursts on the starter with a powerful diesel battery, that Low Oil Pressure Warning Light ( LOPWL) would NOT go out. Although I'd put liberal amounts of oil over various accessible parts during reassembly, I suspected the oil scavenge pipe in the fresh oil in the sump could not scavenge as there was air in the pipe blocking the system so did not persist with cranking.

Got lots of advice on the net's various car web sites mainly involving lots of spanner and socket work which I wanted to avoid, so slept on it.

Here's how I sorted it at NIL cost in both time and money. I washed out one of those six pint supermarket plastic milk bottles. I placed this inverted over the oil filler tube of the O series engine whilst my son cranked the motor on the starter with spark plugs removed. Whilst cranking for about two seconds, I clapped both hands on the sides of the flimsy plastic milk bottle collapsing it. This sent a pulse of air pressure straight down into the sump which immediately resulted in the oil pump successfully scavenging the oil and the low pressure warning light then went out. That engine has been fine ever since.

Next time I had that same LOPWL would not go out after an engine rebuild, this time a Rover T Series Turbo, I tried the same technique with the plastic bottle over the oil filler cap hole in the exhaust camshaft cover. Same result ... only tried it with two engines but, 100% immediate success.

Worth a try before much spanner work on any engine needing oil pump priming.

Old 19 January 2009, 04:15 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968

Merlin, if you remove the plugs, is it necessary to disconnect the crank sensor, then?

Or is it done so that the disconnected coilpacks don't spark i.e. a health and safety type thing?
There's more than one reason for removing the spark plugs # no engine compression which enable the starter to spin the motor more effectively and for longer periods before the battery is exhausted.

H and S .... Just be sensible and think about what you're doing whenever working on a car at any time ~ some did not do that and ......

I once spun the engine of a T series over on the starter for two seconds with the cylinder head removed ~ it sent a thin column of oil high into the air via the oil supply hole to the cylinder head ~ those oil pumps generate a huge pressure ... they need too.

Last edited by MGJohn; 19 January 2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 19 January 2009, 04:30 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Cylinder leakdown tester works nicely for that too!

Originally Posted by MGJohn
Having rebuilt both O and T series Rover and MG Turbo engines, on two occasions despite several 15 seconds bursts on the starter with a powerful diesel battery, that Low Oil Pressure Warning Light ( LOPWL) would NOT go out. Although I'd put liberal amounts of oil over various accessible parts during reassembly, I suspected the oil scavenge pipe in the fresh oil in the sump could not scavenge as there was air in the pipe blocking the system so did not persist with cranking.

Got lots of advice on the net's various car web sites mainly involving lots of spanner and socket work which I wanted to avoid, so slept on it.

Here's how I sorted it at NIL cost in both time and money. I washed out one of those six pint supermarket plastic milk bottles. I placed this inverted over the oil filler tube of the O series engine whilst my son cranked the motor on the starter with spark plugs removed. Whilst cranking for about two seconds, I clapped both hands on the sides of the flimsy plastic milk bottle collapsing it. This sent a pulse of air pressure straight down into the sump which immediately resulted in the oil pump successfully scavenging the oil and the low pressure warning light then went out. That engine has been fine ever since.

Next time I had that same LOPWL would not go out after an engine rebuild, this time a Rover T Series Turbo, I tried the same technique with the plastic bottle over the oil filler cap hole in the exhaust camshaft cover. Same result ... only tried it with two engines but, 100% immediate success.

Worth a try before much spanner work on any engine needing oil pump priming.

Old 19 January 2009, 04:43 PM
Matt578
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MGJohn
I once spun the engine of a T series over on the starter for two seconds with the cylinder head removed ~ it sent a thin column of oil high into the air via the oil supply hole to the cylinder head ~ those oil pumps generate a huge pressure ... they need too.
Thats nothing, once i turned my mr2 over with the rocker cover off. Lets just put it this way in not sure how it happened but i had my head above the engine and it burst into flames about 6 foot high. Good job i had a fire extgunisher handy.
Old 19 January 2009, 06:10 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt578
Thats nothing, once i turned my mr2 over with the rocker cover off. Lets just put it this way in not sure how it happened but i had my head above the engine and it burst into flames about 6 foot high. Good job i had a fire extgunisher handy.
Christ on the provrbial!
Old 19 January 2009, 06:11 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
If you don't disconnect the crank sensor it will still inject fuel..

you crank and engine over without spark plugs and coilpack within a few inhces of spark plug holes which now have fuel vapour could out of them

It makes a nice big flame..
Simon
Message received and understood! - didn't realise that the crank sensor instructed the ECU to deliver fuel.

FTR, what other things does the crank sensor tell the ECU to do? Also, while we're at it, what does the cam sensor tell ECU to do, too?
Old 19 January 2009, 07:49 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

well that all ajkes sense, but the ooil pump is on, a rcm one, and i havent put grease or lube on the uptake to create a better suction to get oil up, as slow boy sed.

any other way of filling pump with oil, as there are hex keys on botom of pump and one angles off pump, can i remove any of these, fill with oil, so priming pump??

circled in pic

Old 19 January 2009, 08:37 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

pour oil in the oil pressure sensor hole above pump etc..

Simon
Old 19 January 2009, 09:03 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

ahh, so that will fill pump
Old 19 January 2009, 09:19 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

works for me yes
Old 19 January 2009, 09:38 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

good stuff il try, any reasons not to remove on of the hex bolts on the pump. seems like there are for a intake, output.
Old 19 January 2009, 11:20 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mje_wrx
good stuff il try, any reasons not to remove on of the hex bolts on the pump. seems like there are for a intake, output.
Filling the pump via the pressure sensor hole is easier as it's directly above the pump and can be done after the engine is fitted in the car.
Old 20 January 2009, 12:26 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

doesn't always work though as if the pump itself is pretty dry it can't develop enough vacuum to pull the oil up from the sump. If you do get really stuck, you can fill through the top gallery and SLOWLY turn the engine over by hand BACKWARDS this will pull the oil into the pump.

Pressurising the sump (only about 0.2-0.3bar) via the breathers(using cylinder leakage tester) has proven to be a 100% successful route with troublesome cars.
Old 20 January 2009, 06:36 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

The two chambers at the bottom of the pump act as a reservoir,to hold oil in the pump and prevent starvation/cavitation when the car has been stood for a long period of time.

Mick