Notices

Running Rich - Any help appreciated :)

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2009, 02:05 PM
Monky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Running Rich - Any help appreciated :)

Hi all,

For some reason my 96 V3 Sti Wag is running rich with really bad fuel economy, I drive like a grandad most of the time and still get appalling fuel economy.

Can anyone list some possibilities, I also get loud pops from the exhaust and little flames (unburned fuel) even when just applying 1/4 throttle and changing gear.

I was thinking 02 sensor as this would only be on part throttle which is what I am doing most of the time, any other ideas? Car is also a little hesitant, fine on boost just part throttle sometimes has a little mis/blip. Car is also run on VPower 24/7.

Thanks in advance

Toby

Last edited by Monky; 18 January 2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 18 January 2009, 06:00 AM
Monky
Scooby Regular

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by Monky; 18 January 2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 18 January 2009, 10:08 PM
Monky
Scooby Regular

Bump

Would a remap help at all? It is an import and maybe its running rich to avoid det as the best it's getting is 98RON as opposed to what it should get in Japan, what about something like an inlet leak where the car thinks it's seeing more o2 and pumps more fuel in?

All I can think of really.

T
Old 19 January 2009, 07:52 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the sensor and have a look at what colour it is.
Old 19 January 2009, 07:57 AM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Light load driving would suggest the o2 sensor but with out seeing voltages or Cells it’s hard to be sure.

A Remap will give you better fuel consumption overall as the OE maps run on the richer side, it will also allow the mapper to pin point any issues.

Also check the usual like air leaks and connected pipes, make sure all is correct on the engine bay side before spending any money.
Old 21 January 2009, 07:49 PM
Monky
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. I had a new OEM lambda that I bought way back for my old one so swapped it over anyway. No difference unfortunately, still running very rich. I'm getting 190 miles to a full tank of VPower, £60.00 for 190 miles is just madness??

I can just hear how rich the mixture is when driving, quite bogged down. It's a 96 STi so it's not slow regardless just isn't what it should be. I also get a lot of unburnt fuel in the exhaust and its pops quite loudly sometimes so much be running excessively rich.

Would a faulty MAF cause excessive lean or excessive rich conditions?

Here is the spec:

1996 Version 3 STi Wagon Import Stock ECU
Full 3 Inch Turboback Exhaust System
HKS Air Filter (needs replacement element it's very dirty on my list)

That is it engine wise and don't plan on any more. I've looked for inlet leaks around the inlet track, inlet manifold, throttle body etc and can't find any. The turbo has a slightly chipped/bent blade compressor side as something has obviously hit it at some point which would indicate why the turbo is quite squealy and a little laggy (will get it rebuilt soon) but not why it's running so darn rich.

I need to really get it on a dyno at some point as it's all guess work at the moment. Lovely car to be fair, great for the family, dog and the tip just not when it costs a bomb to fuel it.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

M

Last edited by Monky; 21 January 2009 at 07:50 PM.