Notices

How do you reset a New Age ECU

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2009, 11:18 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you reset a New Age ECU

Hi, just modified the intake tract - I am told one should re-set the ECU. How is this done on a 2006 2.5 STi? Thanks.
Old 04 January 2009, 12:19 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can't without equipment to plug into obd connector.. removing the battery connection will do a partial reset.. however modifying the air intake on that car wihtout remap is not a good move... and also reseting the ecu due to changing the air intake is a pointless exercise as it will adapt to what it can straight away but you will have altered the maf voltage the ecu sees so the amount of air entering the engine will be different to what the ecu now sees.

Simon
Old 04 January 2009, 08:08 AM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
you can't without equipment to plug into obd connector.. removing the battery connection will do a partial reset.. however modifying the air intake on that car wihtout remap is not a good move... and also reseting the ecu due to changing the air intake is a pointless exercise as it will adapt to what it can straight away but you will have altered the maf voltage the ecu sees so the amount of air entering the engine will be different to what the ecu now sees.

Simon

Thanks Simon. Is it like this? - taking power from the ECU cancels its learned memory but not its maps. What I did was as follows: The car already has a K&N Typhoon with the air filter in the wheel arch and was mapped. When I checked it the outer pre-filter was gunked up from our luverly winter roads so, as per the K&N Kit Instructions, I removed one bend, cleaned the outer pre-filter, and moved the Air Filter under the bonnet where the OEM filter used to be. Just as K&N instructed for "inclement weather". When I started the car he coughed and spluttered and juddered for a few miles but seems to be improving as per its "learning process" - I just thought to speed it up by a re-set. The only difference to the before-set-up is the intake pipe is 50 cms shorter now - is the MAF that sensitive? Does it need a long intake tract to smooth air flow? I have done what the K&N Instruction sheet says. Can a bit of jiggling movement as I sorted the pipe damage the MAF Sensor? There is no CE light on. Peter
Old 04 January 2009, 10:46 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it does cancel the learnt data etc but not the maps.

the 50cm shorter length to filter will effect the maf voltasge yes.

unfortunatly the instructions don't take everything into account.. as the car has been mapped for a setup altering it means it needs a check, you are also now breathing hotter engine air rather than cold inner wing air

you can damage the maf but unlikely

Simon
Old 04 January 2009, 07:54 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

bttt