Coolant leaking from front p/s area on classic

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2009, 02:43 AM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leaking from front p/s area on classic

Hello there,

I fitted a new radiator 2 weeks ago, and it appears i'm loosing coolant. The rad looks fine, and i think the hoses are fine to.

When i look under the car, the front p/s chasis leg appears damp, and i can see coolant dripping from the plastic cover thats under the rad at that side.

I've done a quick search on here and is it true theres an overflow pipe that comes out at the front p/s area? The car isn't overheating, but when warmed up, the fan will sometimes come on when sitting stationary for a short period of time.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Old 02 January 2009, 03:01 AM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

there is a overflow pipe, come from coolant top up botle p/s front of engine, chase it down and see if that ur problem.

have u made sure there is no air locks in system by running engine with water cap off to allow air 2 escape for a while. i normally let it fun so fan kick in, ul see the air come out and water will bubble out of water tank, and are u sure u didnt over fill, so as engine warms up n water expands its just venting itself.
Old 02 January 2009, 05:06 AM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did this, the clip on the bottom hose was duff. it would not leak until the car was driven hard. new clip and problem solved.
Old 02 January 2009, 03:40 PM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, going to have a look within the next hour. Will check the bottom hose as i replaced that clip with a new jubilee one, and i didn't run it with the cap off the top up bottle so will look at that, cheers
Old 02 January 2009, 04:15 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic_Monkey
Cheers guys, going to have a look within the next hour. Will check the bottom hose as i replaced that clip with a new jubilee one, and i didn't run it with the cap off the top up bottle so will look at that, cheers
I personally wouldn't use a regular jubilee clip on the top/bottom hoses. Use an OEM 'double wire' spring clip (check out the other 3 clips of the 2 hoses and you'll see what I mean). Water pressure's a bugger for finding 'weak links'... Those double wire clips are effectively a heavy duty strong spring, so their natural state is always 'wanting' to clamp down on the hoses as hard a possible (similar to a lorry's air-brakes).

Last edited by joz8968; 02 January 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02 January 2009, 05:48 PM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
I personally wouldn't use a regular jubilee clip on the top/bottom hoses. Use an OEM 'double wire' spring clip (check out the other 3 clips of the 2 hoses and you'll see what I mean). Water pressure's a bugger for finding 'weak links'... Those double wire clips are effectively a heavy duty strong spring, so their natural state is always 'wanting' to clamp down on the hoses as hard a possible (similar to a lorry's air-brakes).
I see what you mean, so maybe a standard jubilee clip isn't strong enough? I've adjusted the clip, and think i've got rid of the air lock, so will check again in a couple of hours.
Old 03 January 2009, 07:17 PM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

I adjusted the jubilee clip on the bottom hose yesterday, still got some coolant leaking, but not as bad. I take it the jubilee clip just isn't as strong as the oem clip??
Old 03 January 2009, 07:35 PM
toigye
Scooby Regular

I adjusted the jubilee clip on the bottom hose yesterday, still got some coolant leaking, but not as bad. I take it the jubilee clip just isn't as strong as the oem clip??
go steady with jubilee clip i have seen so many crack the rad conectors remember they are plastic have you checked for airline crack i know its new but you may have over tightened ........
Old 03 January 2009, 07:39 PM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toigye
go steady with jubilee clip i have seen so many crack the rad conectors remember they are plastic have you checked for airline crack i know its new but you may have over tightened ........
Ok man, i've not checked for airline cracks..whats the best way to check for them? Excuse my ignorance, i'm a novice..
Old 03 January 2009, 07:40 PM
scoobi-G
Scooby Regular

i have experienced the same thing, only today i noticed it. i changed my rad about a week ago and clocked the coolent on the floor.

view my thread!

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...nky-stuff.html

Old 03 January 2009, 07:43 PM
Arctic_Monkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobi-G
i have experienced the same thing, only today i noticed it. i changed my rad about a week ago and clocked the coolent on the floor.

view my thread!

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...nky-stuff.html

Cheers man
Old 03 January 2009, 07:43 PM
toigye
Scooby Regular

Ok man, i've not checked for airline cracks..whats the best way to check for them? Excuse my ignorance, i'm a novice..
rubb some fairy liquid around the joints watch for bubbles only way i can think of......but you can over tighten just as easy as under tighten