ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Coolant leaking from front p/s area on classic (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/735444-coolant-leaking-from-front-p-s-area-on-classic.html)

Arctic_Monkey 02 January 2009 02:43 AM

Coolant leaking from front p/s area on classic

Hello there,

I fitted a new radiator 2 weeks ago, and it appears i'm loosing coolant. The rad looks fine, and i think the hoses are fine to.

When i look under the car, the front p/s chasis leg appears damp, and i can see coolant dripping from the plastic cover thats under the rad at that side.

I've done a quick search on here and is it true theres an overflow pipe that comes out at the front p/s area? The car isn't overheating, but when warmed up, the fan will sometimes come on when sitting stationary for a short period of time.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

mje_wrx 02 January 2009 03:01 AM

there is a overflow pipe, come from coolant top up botle p/s front of engine, chase it down and see if that ur problem.

have u made sure there is no air locks in system by running engine with water cap off to allow air 2 escape for a while. i normally let it fun so fan kick in, ul see the air come out and water will bubble out of water tank, and are u sure u didnt over fill, so as engine warms up n water expands its just venting itself.

dj219957 02 January 2009 05:06 AM

mine did this, the clip on the bottom hose was duff. it would not leak until the car was driven hard. new clip and problem solved.

Arctic_Monkey 02 January 2009 03:40 PM

Cheers guys, going to have a look within the next hour. Will check the bottom hose as i replaced that clip with a new jubilee one, and i didn't run it with the cap off the top up bottle so will look at that, cheers

joz8968 02 January 2009 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Arctic_Monkey (Post 8390548)
Cheers guys, going to have a look within the next hour. Will check the bottom hose as i replaced that clip with a new jubilee one, and i didn't run it with the cap off the top up bottle so will look at that, cheers

I personally wouldn't use a regular jubilee clip on the top/bottom hoses. Use an OEM 'double wire' spring clip (check out the other 3 clips of the 2 hoses and you'll see what I mean). Water pressure's a bugger for finding 'weak links'... Those double wire clips are effectively a heavy duty strong spring, so their natural state is always 'wanting' to clamp down on the hoses as hard a possible (similar to a lorry's air-brakes).

Arctic_Monkey 02 January 2009 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 8390637)
I personally wouldn't use a regular jubilee clip on the top/bottom hoses. Use an OEM 'double wire' spring clip (check out the other 3 clips of the 2 hoses and you'll see what I mean). Water pressure's a bugger for finding 'weak links'... Those double wire clips are effectively a heavy duty strong spring, so their natural state is always 'wanting' to clamp down on the hoses as hard a possible (similar to a lorry's air-brakes).

I see what you mean, so maybe a standard jubilee clip isn't strong enough? I've adjusted the clip, and think i've got rid of the air lock, so will check again in a couple of hours.

Arctic_Monkey 03 January 2009 07:17 PM

I adjusted the jubilee clip on the bottom hose yesterday, still got some coolant leaking, but not as bad. I take it the jubilee clip just isn't as strong as the oem clip??

toigye 03 January 2009 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Arctic_Monkey (Post 8393922)
I adjusted the jubilee clip on the bottom hose yesterday, still got some coolant leaking, but not as bad. I take it the jubilee clip just isn't as strong as the oem clip??

go steady with jubilee clip i have seen so many crack the rad conectors remember they are plastic have you checked for airline crack i know its new but you may have over tightened ........

Arctic_Monkey 03 January 2009 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by toigye (Post 8393984)
go steady with jubilee clip i have seen so many crack the rad conectors remember they are plastic have you checked for airline crack i know its new but you may have over tightened ........

Ok man, i've not checked for airline cracks..whats the best way to check for them? Excuse my ignorance, i'm a novice.. :lol1:

scoobi-G 03 January 2009 07:40 PM

i have experienced the same thing, only today i noticed it. i changed my rad about a week ago and clocked the coolent on the floor.

view my thread!

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...nky-stuff.html

:)

Arctic_Monkey 03 January 2009 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by scoobi-G (Post 8394003)
i have experienced the same thing, only today i noticed it. i changed my rad about a week ago and clocked the coolent on the floor.

view my thread!

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...nky-stuff.html

:)

Cheers man :)

toigye 03 January 2009 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Arctic_Monkey (Post 8394001)
Ok man, i've not checked for airline cracks..whats the best way to check for them? Excuse my ignorance, i'm a novice.. :lol1:

rubb some fairy liquid around the joints watch for bubbles only way i can think of......but you can over tighten just as easy as under tighten :eek: