Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polar performance chip

has anyone used a polar performance chip in their classic
Old 20 December 2008, 01:27 PM
mbd sti2
Scooby Regular

i have fitted one to a mates sti and its great for the money its a good start scott t is a top bloke not heard a bad word about him
Old 20 December 2008, 01:28 PM
NAY93WRX
Scooby Regular

I fitted one to my 93 WRX.

Without a doubt the best £150 ive ever spent on a car

100% recommended
Old 20 December 2008, 01:36 PM
scooby1508
Scooby Regular

i have just read the fitting instructions on his web site it says to cut a resistor did you have to do this with yours
Old 20 December 2008, 03:26 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Have a PP chip in my MY 93 too, well worth while mod Yeah you have to cut resistor to allow the chip to work.
Old 20 December 2008, 04:11 PM
scooby1508
Scooby Regular

why do you have to cut the resistor
Old 20 December 2008, 04:26 PM
andywiddss1
Scooby Regular

you have to cut resistor to allow the ecu to read the upgraded chip that fits in the spare socket in the ecu . if u dont cut it the ecu will not read the new chip
Old 20 December 2008, 05:43 PM
NAY93WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby1508
i have just read the fitting instructions on his web site it says to cut a resistor did you have to do this with yours
Yep.

Fitting was easy as my neighbour is a tv repair man so has the detailed soldering irons etc
Old 20 December 2008, 05:43 PM
scooby1508
Scooby Regular

thanks for your info everyone
Old 20 December 2008, 05:45 PM
scooby1508
Scooby Regular

my ecu already has the spare socket in it so all i got to do is fit the chip and cut the resistor off
Old 20 December 2008, 05:49 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

thats sounds like a generic map
Old 20 December 2008, 05:58 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
thats sounds like a generic map
It is. But a GOOD one.
Old 20 December 2008, 06:12 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

generic maps aint the way if you drive a scooby, im not one to mess with another man bread and butter but to be honest generic chips are only for you if you drive a saxo or corsa.

150 sounds like a bargain but belive me you get what you pay for. personally i would try and go the apexi or ecutek route.or even open source mapping.

think about it how can one map suite another 100 cars. ask one of the authorised dealers what they think of them. or what the real mappers think of them.

thats what gets me and then in a few months time some of you will be on here complaining that there cars are having problems.

sorry to sound so harsh but its the truth, my advice to all of you save up and get an apexi and real map cutomised to your own cars. if you cant then just sell the scooby while there nothing wrong with it and buy your self a honda
Old 20 December 2008, 06:19 PM
Jim1987
Scooby Regular

these are superb, i had one in my classic wrx, infact i have it for sale, its mapped for a decat exhaust system if anyones interested, PM me if you are
Old 20 December 2008, 06:31 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

generic maps aint the way if you drive a scooby, im not one to mess with another man bread and butter but to be honest generic chips are only for you if you drive a saxo or corsa.

150 sounds like a bargain but belive me you get what you pay for. personally i would try and go the apexi or ecutek route.or even open source mapping.

think about it how can one map suite another 100 cars. ask one of the authorised dealers what they think of them. or what the real mappers think of them.

thats what gets me and then in a few months time some of you will be on here complaining that there cars are having problems.

sorry to sound so harsh but its the truth, my advice to all of you save up and get an apexi and real map cutomised to your own cars. if you cant then just sell the scooby while there nothing wrong with it and buy your self a honda
I've heard these polar performance chips are 'good'!.....so good must mean that they don't blow engines up!

but in my eyes for a generic chip to run 'safely' on many many scoobs must mean only one thing - it is a very very conservative map.............another words - your car is capable of soo much more........and still safely if mapped on a aftermarket ecu.
Old 20 December 2008, 06:39 PM
scooby1508
Scooby Regular

has anyone had any problems with these fitted to their scoobys
Old 20 December 2008, 06:41 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

if im going to do something then i would do it properly i.e save and get a proper mapper to map your car. a ploar chip cant tell you your knock reading and every time u get a new mod put on you have to send it off for them to retweek it and send it back to you. and your only way of finding out that its good its buy driving the car. and buy driving it you cant tell thats it running lean or rich? and thats one of the reason why a lot of peeps loose there engines

regards

mus

p.s sorry for the harsh posts boys
Old 20 December 2008, 07:32 PM
2-pump-tone
Scooby Regular

scotts a top bloke and knows what he is on about
Old 20 December 2008, 08:19 PM
DukeBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2-pump-tone
scotts a top bloke and knows what he is on about
I'll second that Tone
Old 20 December 2008, 08:35 PM
andywiddss1
Scooby Regular

if im going to do something then i would do it properly i.e save and get a proper mapper to map your car. a ploar chip cant tell you your knock reading and every time u get a new mod put on you have to send it off for them to retweek it and send it back to you. and your only way of finding out that its good its buy driving the car. and buy driving it you cant tell thats it running lean or rich? and thats one of the reason why a lot of peeps loose there engines

regards

mus

im sure if u fitted the chip then put it on a r/r and got a apr and bhp an torque printout u would be happy and see that the car is not running lean . yes u may get a little bit more out of a new mapable ecu but what will that cost 650 quid or 100 quid for the chip an maybe 40 quid for r/r
Old 20 December 2008, 09:08 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

regards

mus

IIRC these chips are mapped for standard turbo, injectors & intercooler. They do assume de-cat exhaust and upgraded panel filter/induction.

As an early stage, low budget modification, they are ideal. If you want to go and spend ££££s on upgrading turbos and the like, then yes you will be better off missing out this step and going straight for the fully mappable option on the road or R/R.
Old 20 December 2008, 09:31 PM
andywiddss1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
IIRC these chips are mapped for standard turbo, injectors & intercooler. They do assume de-cat exhaust and upgraded panel filter/induction.

As an early stage, low budget modification, they are ideal. If you want to go and spend ££££s on upgrading turbos and the like, then yes you will be better off missing out this step and going straight for the fully mappable option on the road or R/R.
this is true but u can have 500 bhp but when u get to the next corner if u carnt slow down or take the corner because u are on poor suspension or naf brakes u loose . my point is better to spend the money u have saved on suspension and brakes
Old 20 December 2008, 10:22 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by andywiddss1
this is true but u can have 500 bhp but when u get to the next corner if u carnt slow down or take the corner because u are on poor suspension or naf brakes u loose . my point is better to spend the money u have saved on suspension and brakes
Think you may have mis-interpreted what I was getting at. What I was saying was that these chips are great if you are aiming for a max of 300bhp (from personal experience on my own car at one point), but if you are planning on going for more power in future, you are better off saving for the mappable ECU option and skipping the chip.

The brakes and suspension weren't part of the discussion until now, but goes without saying that you cant increase power without upgrading those to go with it
Old 21 December 2008, 10:15 AM
andywiddss1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Think you may have mis-interpreted what I was getting at. What I was saying was that these chips are great if you are aiming for a max of 300bhp (from personal experience on my own car at one point), but if you are planning on going for more power in future, you are better off saving for the mappable ECU option and skipping the chip.

The brakes and suspension weren't part of the discussion until now, but goes without saying that you cant increase power without upgrading those to go with it

i agree with u mate
Old 21 December 2008, 10:30 AM
scoobyhoobydoo
Scooby Regular

and thats one of the reason why a lot of peeps loose there engines

Rubbish, how can you make such a generic statement! So are all engines that have been “lost”use these chips then? If you can not quantify the statements you make, they are just nonsense
Old 21 December 2008, 01:29 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

if you read it properly it SAYS THATS ONE of the reason. the point im trying to make diffrent cars react diffrently regardless of having the same mods.
Old 21 December 2008, 01:29 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

This is a debate that arises quite often Ive had one of Scotts chips in the past and it was spot on ive also had mates running his chips who have also had no problems. When i had the car on the rollers, which was the first thing i done when i fitted it, the boost and fueling was far better than the stock ECU was.
Scotts been mapping these chips for a good few years now and i dont recall any thread come up with "The PP chip blew my engine" unless someone can show me otherwise.

These chips are not just about power increases but also about being able to run the car on SUL, the extra power is a bonus IMO. If your power goal is south of 300bhp then they are fine but as mentioned if you intend to go further..ie..bigger injectors, turbos etc then a mappable ECU is the only route to take.

I know people are only trying to give advice but surely that advice should be from people who have actually used these chips whether it good or bad and not from people who are just picking up on what others preach about.
Old 21 December 2008, 01:49 PM
scoobyhoobydoo
Scooby Regular

if you read it properly it SAYS THATS ONE of the reason. the point im trying to make diffrent cars react diffrently regardless of having the same mods.
So when Subaru mapped the cars they know this, when prodrive offer a generic map they know this. So why should this be so fundamentally different?
Old 21 December 2008, 01:56 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

do you realise how poor the standard map is (performance wise) wouldn't be hard to improve on.

....and remember standard maps have too be extremely safe and work in all temps, condition, altitudes etc.

with a polar chip what sort of boost do you have to run to obtain 300bhp? and what sort of torque are they producing?
Old 21 December 2008, 03:11 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jayallen
...the boost and fueling was far better than the stock ECU was...

...These chips are not just about power increases but also about being able to run the car on SUL, the extra power is a bonus IMO...

...If your power goal is south of 300bhp then they are fine..
These are the the main reasons for getting one IHMO.

Don't forget that the factory OEM ECU has, in effect, a generic map for Jap fuel.

At least with the PP, Scott has mapped in known 'safe' ignition timing/fueling parameters for the 1.1bar of boost, for UK-supplied Esso SUL 97 (so, if eveything's okay with your engine etc., you should get the full IAM of 16, to boot).

Quick Reply: polar performance chip