Notices

Problems fitting Quick Shift... grr...

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2008, 09:03 PM
lupuss
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problems fitting Quick Shift... grr...

Hi All,

I've bought a quick shift for my MY06 WRX, and absolutely cannot get it to fit. I've managed to remove the existing shifter, but cannot get the new one to fit into the plastic socket no matter how much I try. I now cannot get the old one back in either.

Is there something I've missed here to make it easier? Is it it really just brute force and ignorance... ?

Is there something I need to release under the car ?

Thanks in advance

lupuss..
Old 19 December 2008, 09:27 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cobb short shifter and bushing install.
Old 20 December 2008, 09:14 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trick is to stop the plastic socket holder from moving downwards when pushing in the quickshift.
I used a length of wood wedged between garage floor and socket holder, then tapped the qshift in with a hammer.

Nick
Old 20 December 2008, 10:20 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

I take it you have removed the C clip thats in the socket? and not just pulled the old gearstick out ?
Old 20 December 2008, 10:41 PM
lupuss
Scooby Newbie

Default Thanks...

Thanks for your suggestions guys... and the excellent guide link...

I finally cracked it by cutting short length of wood, drilling a hole in it and placing it over the top of the quickshift. A sharp tap with a hammer while pushing the lever down and it went in... as per guide... Easy once you work it out

However I then had problems with clearance for the gear linkage, and had to rotate the metal bracket thing around. Then it was ok, but I found that the rubber gatter was now fouling and causing the lever to pop out of gear in 3rd.
So after all that hastle I put the original shifter back in...

Oh well... never mind...

lupuss.
Old 23 December 2008, 10:22 PM
daijones
Scooby Regular

Default A cautionary tale

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Put mine in today and have much the same problem. For reference for other readers, the 5 speed box in the 06 WRX doesn't have the separate bushing and C clip referred to in the Cobb video (nor the reverse lock out, since the 5 speed doesn't have a lift ring for reverse). Rather, the bushing is embedded in the transmission tunnel. The old stick should just pull out of the bushing in situ, but that's where I had my first problem - I couldn't get the bugger to come. A quick call to Revolution reassured me that I just needed to be more brutal in pulling, while locating the stick at the most extreme angle to the vertical I could manage. Sorted, old stick out. I then rotated the metal frame, cutting off the four metal lugs on it so it would fit. Then came time to insert the new stick. Oops! I was banging at the sod with a hammer for ages, but it wouldn't go in: the collar on the bushing was just a smidge too tight. I ended up paring away the plastic inside the bushing little by little until I could hammer the stick in. Seems to still hold it okay, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Having finally managed all that, I put it all back together and found my final problem. It seems there's a reason why some quickshifts are advertised as being for MY01-05, and not for 06/07: the internal thread on the OEM gear **** was slightly smaller than the external thread on the quickshift, so it wouldn't screw on. A pretty major problem that one, driving around with the **** coming off in your hand. If you'll pardon the expression! So, I need a new ****. I managed to get to Halfords, but they didn't have any good ***** - although there are lots of ***** in Halfords, boom boom - so I had to buy a ****ty replacement to get me by. This thing is huge, extending the length of the gear stick by al least an inch and a half, so negating the effects of the quick shift and making me feel like a geriatric with some assisted technology fitted to the car. It reminds me of nothing so much as my old land rover gear change, which wasn't quite the desired outcome! I have though got a nice Momo leather/aluminium **** on order, and the throw does feel a lot shorter, so once the new **** is on, and I've worked out what to do with the gaiter, it should be cool. I'm a bit worried about the jumping out of third problem though, will have to keep an eye on that.

Moral of the story - check the **** fitting before buying a quickshift if you're planning to use the OEM ****, and check again before fitting the quickshift by trying to screw the **** on before installing. A bare ended gear stick is no fun to use, believe me!

D