Prodrive backbox on an MY97 UK Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2008, 11:32 AM
Combat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive backbox on an MY97 UK Turbo

Hi all,

I've been offered a Prodrive backbox by a mate of a mate (of a mate?!) for my MY97 UK Turbo, I've been told this should fit the car and the rest of the standard system which the car currently has.

While probably not really offering much (if any) of a performance advantage, I'm hoping it would make the car sound a little beefier as the stock system is fairly quiet, I don't want it overly loud though as it's a daily driver, and too loud can be nauseating after a while.

Does or has anyone fitted a Prodrive rear box to their Turbo? what did it sound like? When the Prodrive package was applied to factory cars, was it just a different rear box, or a complete new system from downpipe to tailpipe?

Sorry for all the questions!
Old 10 December 2008, 11:43 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

I've had a Prodrive box on my otherwise standard MY00 for the last four years or so. IMO it is the ideal compromise - a little burble without being offensive or looking like you nicked it from a teenager's Nova/Corsa etc.....

I think it came with a straight through centre pipe as part of the Prodrive kit at some stage but I wouldn't want any more noise than I have now as my car is a daily driver.
Old 10 December 2008, 12:22 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

ive got one on my 98 turbo mated to a decated an silenced scoobyparts centre section an it sounded deeper at idle an cruising. Motorways were barely any different from the stock system.
Old 10 December 2008, 02:14 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

RIP HIS ARM OFF.

Both our MY97 UK turbos have prodrive backboxes mated to the factory cat system. Nice burble at idle and mild acceleration, quiet cruising but gets roarty when booting it, and they last for ever.

Reset the ECU when you fit it and I think you may notice a SLIIIIIGHT difference in pickup. I did but it may be placebo effect

Agree with SimonD, the ideal compromise for a daily driver.
Old 10 December 2008, 10:46 PM
Combat
Scooby Regular

SimonD, ginger321, his-n-her-scoobs,

Thanks for the feedback chaps!

With that in mind, I should be talking to my mate this weekend and hopefully will have it thereafter. The traditional burble of these engines is definitely what I'm after, I think I even rate the sound of the boxer over a rumbling Rover V8!