Notices

Autobahn88 Front Mount Intercooler Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2008, 04:16 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autobahn88 Front Mount Intercooler Kit

Has anyone used one the the Autobahn88 Front Mount Intercooler Kits on Scooby World? As the seem very cheap! Are they a cheap product, or do the job well? Is there much cutting up of the car/moving things in the engine bay/etc/etc?

Intercoolers : Subaru impress front mount intercoolers, fmic, impress front mount

Edit: Would you NEED a remap if you add this? Or would it be ok for 6months not getting a remap?
Old 04 December 2008, 04:25 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Nothing wrong with the intercooler per se but I would rather go for a hybrid fmic at the price.

I currently run an autobahn88 fmic but have a hybrid to go on soon, speak with Harvey regarding the hybrid.

Personally I would not run a fmic without a remap for 6 months and im sure Harvey will give you reasons why.

banny
Old 04 December 2008, 04:55 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Why changed mate, what are the reasons?
Old 05 December 2008, 08:30 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Old 06 December 2008, 10:11 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Autobahn, and yes it DEFINITELY needed a remap. I've now swapped it for a Hybrid from Harvey - I'm fitting it in the next couple of weeks. The quality of the Hybrid is in a different league from the Autobahn, there's no comparison. I'd never recommend anyone get an Autobahn nowadays - just get onto Harvey and get one of his Hybrid kits.
Old 07 December 2008, 02:21 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
I had an Autobahn, and yes it DEFINITELY needed a remap. I've now swapped it for a Hybrid from Harvey - I'm fitting it in the next couple of weeks. The quality of the Hybrid is in a different league from the Autobahn, there's no comparison. I'd never recommend anyone get an Autobahn nowadays - just get onto Harvey and get one of his Hybrid kits.
I have to disagree with the quality part of your comment.
I had a good look at mine when i got it and the workmanship is superb not a single flaw
Old 07 December 2008, 07:23 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

You've had both side by side? Admittedly my Autobahn was a year or two old, the Hybrid is brand new, but the AB core was shoddy with far too much space in there and hardly any turbulators and the flared out parts at the ends of pipes were really dodgy with bits sticking out into the airflow.

It was incredible value at the time, I'm not saying that it wasn't, but the Hybrid is much better. Maybe the Autobahns are better now, but the Hybrid core is also much better than the Autobahn. It's just overall a better package.
Old 07 December 2008, 09:07 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

My Autobahn Intercooler has been fantastic, Had it for three years at various levels from 350 bhp to 450bhp and I shall shortly be putting close to 600bhp through it.
Old 07 December 2008, 10:36 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes I've no issue with the fact that they work. Mine did the business phemomenally at my last track day, charge temps totally nailed down and never failed me. However, I have had problems with compressor surge ever since fitting it, which can't be mapped out and that was on a VF35 and a TD05-16G. When I then look at the pipework from the compressor outlet to the pipe going into the wing and how it just suddenly widens by an inch without any real blending at all, or how the intercooler exit pipe is just as stepped but in the opposite direction which is even worse for flow, I just can't see how it can NOT be presenting a significant restriction to flow.

For me the Hybrid looks like it corrects those faults that MY Autobahn FMIC kit had and once it's fitted I expect to get good results and kill the compressor surge for good. If it doesn't I'll come on and say so. As I will if it does the business.

Let's just count ourselves lucky that we can get FMIC kits so cheap nowadays, whatever the brand!
Old 07 December 2008, 10:44 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

id go for the hybrid off Harvey with painted pipes or bobs who trade on here matey..better build quality but theyre still a pain in the **** to fit! maybe a bit easier on newage though
Old 08 December 2008, 09:47 AM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys about the intercoolers.

Is on easier to fit that the other? I wont be doing it myself, but obviously if one is a lot easier to fit.....I.e less cutting of the bumper, it will be cheaper to install etc.

Cheers
Old 08 December 2008, 10:17 AM
Style
Scooby Regular

someone on here mentioned that the Autobahns on later classics went through the hole hole for the airbox now and you no longer needed to cut a hole.

does anyone know if this si right, gona get one i think, and just save 100 or so on the hybrid
Old 08 December 2008, 10:17 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes that's right. It does.
Old 08 December 2008, 11:26 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a hybrid FMIC on my scoob, neil @ slowboyracing can supply and fit one for a very reasonable price too

wiley