Notices

Choked my v3 STI

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2008, 03:08 PM
scoobyskylinestu
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Choked my v3 STI

I decatted my v3 to a straight through 2 1/2" exhaust system, 2 1/2" from turbo all the way to a scorpian back box. I bought it second hand n was told at the time it was 3" but when it tipped up I soon realised I'd been had! However I fitted it anyway thinking I'd be freeing up the 2 cats thus it'd work fine up to 330bhp when I fit my apexi fc & com

The car is running terrible, like I'm choking it n the turbo doesn't want to spool up. I know it needs a remap to optimise the straight throu, but should it be running so ****?

Got a set of headers to go on before the remap too, but I left that to just before I get the remap in Jan coz I didn't want to harm the car. I feel I already have.

Any ideas guys?
Old 01 December 2008, 07:17 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

Saw this post earlier but couldn't reply.

Have you done your turbo/downpipe bolts/studs up properly?? When the car is running can you hear any blowing from that part of the engine?? Has the steel gasket gone back in with the downpipe?

Yes remap will help but should no affect driveability to the point at which you have described. Also have you checked that you haven't disconnected any vacuum lines, the stock turbo system pipework is all located in that area!

Last of all, did your downpipe have a bung for a lambda sensor... and if so have you refitted it or left it open?

just a few things to check there!

@
Old 02 December 2008, 10:06 AM
scoobyskylinestu
Scooby Newbie

Default Re Ampler

Hi m8, thanks for getting back to me.
The downpipe had no gasket when I took it off it was just metal to metal so I just didn't think it had one.
Apart from that we could not see to have disturbed any other pipe work or bolts.
Yes we fitted the lambda sensor back in, but left the bottom one from the cat disconnected.

But I will check again. Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate it m8!

Stu

Last edited by scoobyskylinestu; 02 December 2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02 December 2008, 10:08 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You will defo need a gasket between the turbo and downpipe and as mentioned above, did you fit the lambda sensor back into the top of the downpipe?

Banny
Old 03 December 2008, 10:12 AM
scoobyskylinestu
Scooby Newbie

Wink Re Banny

K m8 I'll get it back off n fit a gasket on the turbo-downpipe. There defo wasn't one on it when I removed it, hence I never replaced it. Yes I put the lambda back in the top.

I can't here or feel it blowing, but its gotta be that......I hope!

Thanks for your help!
Stu
Old 03 December 2008, 07:21 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

If it's 2nd hand check the silencer boxes are ok (ie not fallen apart inside and the wadding blocking the exhaust)

To be honest it should feel better not worse if you've gone from stock to free flow.