Air lock or head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2008, 03:44 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air lock or head gasket?

I'll give the symptoms and the story;

Lost the back end of the car last night which ended up spinning the car and heading into a kerb drivers side wheel first (side ways not wheel first, which split the tyre wall)

The story; After the spin, I drove off the kerb and drove around half a mile down the road, I then noticed my temp being high and pulled over straight away and turned the car off to let her cool down, 15mins later I checked under the bonnet to see a couple of bits knocked out of place, which included the pipe on the right hand side of the radiator near the coolant res/filler (one near the battery on a MY95) which resulted in water pissing out everywhere, I left the car turned off for around 30mins or more and waited for the AA to come, he then filled the filler tank back up and let the car run and warm back up for a couple of minutes, it didn't heat up quickly at all and just heated up like it would normally at idle, however a couple of minutes later we noticed the temp slowly increasing so I turned the car off again, we (myself & the guy from AA) removed the filler cap which pushed water out the filler tank, he had a check of the pipes and one didn't have alot of pressure (accordingly anyway) so I decided to get toe'd home after letting the car sit and cool down for a good 45mins, we then got it home and it didn't get seriously hot at all on the way home and the temp did go up and did go down every so offen (no sure if this was fan related or the cold air venting into the bonnet since I was moving) anyway, we got it home left it all night and checked it this morning, no water on the filler tank so filled it up with some coolant and what not, took it to the garage got two new tyres fitted, got a bulked wheel but it's been balanced and we shall see how bad it is once it's been above more than 15mph.
As for the temp and how it overheats, it builds up slowly from cold to normal, will pause on normal for a little maybe a min or so, then build up slowly again.
Not sure on smoke as it's bloody cold and anything coming out the exhaust just turns white/clear coloured, of course the same as your breath does when your out in the cold!
I pray it's not the head gaskets, as I have no idea where to start or how much it costs on such a car. But she hasn't been driven far at all and only got hot the first time round which was under half amile drive.
End result, cars back in the garage and the AA get a big thumbs down for being the most pathetic help service I could have asked for, £104 to get me 9miles and thats as a joined member, very please

Cheers for any help/suggestions & maybe, just maybe i'll get lucky for once.
Old 29 November 2008, 04:53 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

It sounds like you may of sucked some air in to the water system, when the pipe came off. Re-fill and ensure all the air is bleed out and try again. If it continues to happen then it is something else and not an air leak.
Old 29 November 2008, 06:43 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Thank you mate, cars at the garage now and getting looked over on monday.

Shall find out I suppose, just trying to work out the problems from cheapest to most expensive.
Old 30 November 2008, 01:09 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

wont be cheap lol
Old 02 December 2008, 06:37 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
wont be cheap lol
Was a blocked breather pipe.

So yes, it was cheap
Old 02 December 2008, 10:04 PM
Fai17
Scooby Regular

Glad it wsn't major.
Old 02 December 2008, 11:06 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fai17
Glad it wsn't major.
Thank you mate, just got to sort the wheel out now! Hopefully back on the road with some new goodies as well