Notices

Help. Gearbox just gone, Car on 32k, FSH etc.. WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2008, 12:19 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Gearbox just gone, Car on 32k, FSH etc.. WHY?

Hi, I have just had to struggle back down the a45 at 40mph.

Im pretty sure my gearbox has definitly gone. 3rd has a real loud knocking. 1st, 2nd, 4th have a light- loud knocking all the time. and 5th is verging on the same as 3rd. When i try to go slowly in 1st the car feels like its jamming up or getting caught up. Then i had to rev it hard to get it to go. Clutch feels fine. Engine is definitly fine.

What could of caused this? at just 32000 miles on a 2005 WRX. Im absoloutly furious, this is my 3rd Impreza and the newest with the lowest mileage and its already given me the worst problem ive had with any of them.

Does anyone know where i stand with it? Can i go to subaru and fight it some how, as it seems ridiculous to me, how at 32000 miles the gearbox has gone, the car is not abused, its used put it that way, but not driven hard. Like i say the car has a full service history all at subaru/scoobyworld. It has been VERY well maintained.

And now this. Does anyone think i will get anywhere with going to subaru and explaining the situation? The car warranty ran out a few months ago, but i think that something definitly isnt right if a 2005, 32k, well looked after car has a gearbox failure.

Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated

Old 29 November 2008, 03:39 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You ideally should have had it recovered, to minimise the damage from all the bits being chewed up in the gearbox.
No it doesn't seem fair, but who knows how it was treated by it's previous owner/s ?
Subaru are unlikely to be interested if it's out of warranty, did you buy it from a dealer, or a private sale ?

Good luck.

DunxC