Notices

Carbon Canister Removal

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2008, 02:36 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Canister Removal

So what's the deal with removal of this from the engine bay, i can see no purpose for it, i understand that it was installed for Japanese regulations but is not required over here. I currently have mine out of the car as i'm repairing the wing but have no intention of putting it back because of the above... There are two lines, which look like breathers than run off into the engine bay from the canister, what do i need to do with these? Block them off?

Does anybody have a 101 on these, also there is what looks like a sensor inside the plastic housing as well.

cheers

@
Old 27 November 2008, 09:10 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They collect fuel vapours from the lines. My old Clio had one as well so I guess they are needed on European cars. Presumably your fuel tank would be vented out to atmosphere if they weren't there, but don't take that as gospel.
Old 28 November 2008, 01:33 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

tie a knot in the one coming from the fuel tank and leave the other one open to atmosphere.
Old 28 November 2008, 07:25 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

i took mine off, it had a vacuum on which i still need to block as it goes the the inlet manifold and makes a sucking noise when started...other then that i didnt nowt
Old 28 November 2008, 10:04 AM
Transporter
Scooby Newbie

This is something I have also been looking to remove on my track car.

The carbon canister is an emission control device, fuel vapour is stored in the filter and fed back for combustion via the intake vacuum.

If you must remove it, DO NOT block the pipe coming from the fuel tank, this MUST be vented. I haven't found much information for a safe VTA solution but I'm not too sure about fuel vapour venting in the engine bay.

It would seem acceptable to block off the intake vacuum pipe if the canister was removed, otherwise there would surely be a vacuum issue.
Old 28 November 2008, 10:36 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

What harm is it doing though? If you block the pipe coming from the tank then there is no where for your tank to vent. I believe its there so the tank is kept at negative pressure so air leaks in to the tank rather than vapour leaking out. If you dont block the pipe from the inlet manifold you've got an air leak after the afm so you might be running rich/lean.
Old 28 November 2008, 11:59 AM
Transporter
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JONNY_693
If you block the pipe coming from the tank then there is no where for your tank to vent. I believe its there so the tank is kept at negative pressure so air leaks in to the tank rather than vapour leaking out.
Yes, that is kind-of how I understand it too, the vent should allow air to leak into the tank as the fuel is removed. But... surely fuel vapour does exit the tank? - hence the reason for the carbon canister in the first place - I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by JONNY_693
If you dont block the pipe from the inlet manifold you've got an air leak after the afm so you might be running rich/lean.
Agreed, AFM or not, this needs to be blocked up, not just left open.
Old 28 November 2008, 12:19 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I believe user darms removed his carbon canister when doing a retrofit HID conversion and came up with a solution.

I believe he simply connected the three hoses into each other using a range of joiners and hoses and simply left to vent to atmosphere.

Can't comment though as I haven't done it and no idea of repercussions.
Old 28 November 2008, 01:52 PM
dogpole
Scooby Regular

mine are t'd together and VTA.

There are several threads on 22b.com re: canister removal.
Old 28 November 2008, 02:40 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

So is there a point/benefit?
Old 28 November 2008, 03:01 PM
Transporter
Scooby Newbie

Weight and space, for me.
Old 28 November 2008, 08:26 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Probably space is more of a concern than weight. I personally prefer not to have any funny smells from my car so I don't vent anything out that shouldn't be.
Old 29 November 2008, 11:08 AM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dogpole

That was exactly what i was after, thanks mate.

I did a bit of searching and found some posts on here that pretty much said the same.
Old 29 November 2008, 11:36 AM
The Stitcher
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dogpole

thats how i did mine
Old 01 December 2008, 05:55 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Actually, this thread has got me thinking. I don't care about the weight of the thing, but it does take up a lot of room where I need it for a catch tank, and I could do with losing a few more vacuum hoses.

Mine's got two connections at the top, and IIRC one at the bottom which I can't remember where it goes. It might be an intake for the fuel tank. Presumably the carbon collects the fumes and holds them there until the purge valve activates and they are sucked through to the manifold.

Of the two top hoses, one goes across to the tank connections on the n/s suspension turret, the other goes to the purge valve under the manifold.

So the question is; if I'm running a Power FC, does the purge function still work as with the standard ECU? If so, I'll leave the canister alone, or at most, move it somewhere else. If it doesn't purge, I might as well junk the thing entirely and just use a Y-joiner instead?
Old 01 December 2008, 06:09 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

You are better off mounting the oil catch can in a central place and higher than the engine block. This will stop oil surge when hard cornering.

I mounted mine on the rear bulkhead bracket underneath where the top mount intercooler was. Now using a FMIC obviously

Andy
Old 01 December 2008, 08:27 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Well it's kind of a custom installation with twin sealed tanks and full recirculation. The tank that's down by the ABS block is the backup that intercepts the rocker cover to inlet pipe line, so it needs to be down there. The main tank for the crankcase line is up on the bulkhead anyway.