Notices

Is it worth modding a WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2008, 06:54 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it worth modding a WRX?

Hi, I have done a few upgrades to my 05 WRX, ie Prodrive Pack, Brembo Brakes, PPF7 18" Alloys, Tein Suspension etc ... what im wondering is, is it worth taking things further, I drove a PPP 02 Sti and the performance was on a different level even with 3 people in. You can get a nice 04/05 sti with PPP for around 12k and i could sell mine for, 8-9k?! so a 3-4k difference to change.

My question is - if i want that performance (or near to it) do I spend some money on my engine or just change cars? Im happy with the looks/braking/handling etc on mine and its a low mileage mint example - cant decide!

Also the PPP has made my car much better to drive but on doing some tests with a friends WRX the differece in performance is very very little indeed, that was with a 40bhp hike.. so if i had 300 (another 40) would i in reality be any faster than i am now!?

any ideas appriciated..

cheers

Leon
Old 21 November 2008, 07:04 PM
New_scooby_04

A bigger turbo and supporting mods are the Key, mate. A TD04 can only take you so far. Decat/sports cat DP, ported and wrapped headers, uprated fuel pump, 3 port boost solenoid and VF34/35 with a good ECUTEK remap would see you at 330ish bhp and similar torque. Very significant improvement.

Ns04
Old 21 November 2008, 07:09 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thing is.. how much does all this cost? and at the end of it am I going to run the risk of blowing my car up!? I have read that WRX engine is good for 300bhp and Sti is 400Bhp?
Old 22 November 2008, 01:51 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

i have the same problem my 55 reg wrx is great it has been ppp'd and goes well but i have the same problem as you spend more money on uprating or save it and spend on an sti next year and get more bang .....
Old 22 November 2008, 02:03 PM
linky
Scooby Regular

Buy an sti.
You'll spend more money getting your wrx up in horsepower and then you have to deal with your open deck block thereby limiting your horsepower without entering into relieabillity issues.I.e blown gaskets etc

As you have said you can pick up a good low mileage sti for little more than your car is worth.

A standard sti (Newage)is around the 270 bhp mark. Then add decat and map only and you'll see 300 -320 bhp. for the cost of exh (500-800) + ecutek map (650).

Also this will be a better base for running more i.e add a 20g or the likes (1200-1300) and a CAIK (200) and an other re-map (200) and you will see more like 380 bhp. You'll be able to sell your vf35 to wrx owners for around the 300 -350 mark to regain so money back on this. May be idea to start tyhinking about a boost controller also at this stage if it is a pre 32 bit ecu.

After this stage things start to get a tad expensive but up to 380-400 bhp is achievable with a good useabillity and relieabillity with the right tuner.

Just my 0.02 pence worth hope this helps
Old 22 November 2008, 02:54 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

it will be hard getting 8k-9k for it im in the same boat want more power but its hard selling a car right now nethermind a scoob unless you trade it in but then you will get next to nothing for it anyway
Old 22 November 2008, 03:36 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LWells
Thing is.. how much does all this cost? and at the end of it am I going to run the risk of blowing my car up!? I have read that WRX engine is good for 300bhp and Sti is 400Bhp?
I'm running 391bhp in an 03 wrx (standard internals) since last week... Anyone's guess how long it's going to last, but it's been 353 bhp for two years with no issues.

I've got better brakes than an STI and more power now, but I wish I had started with an STI in the first place, but when I bought the WRX i oculdn't afford an STI
Old 22 November 2008, 03:51 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by LWells
I'd budget around the following (I can't recall what state the PPP leave the 03wrx's exhaust in; I'm assuming no cat in up pipe or centre section)

£299 sports cat DP
£90 fuel pump
£200ish ported and wrapped headers
£300ish VF35 (good, used one)
£200ish (I think) STi 8 intercooler,
£25 second hand 3 port boost solenoid
£600 quid for a ECUTEK remap by an expert.

WRX internals and gearbox will be perfectly ok in the low-mid 300s if mapped properly, assuming the car isn't driven like its stolen everywhere and looked after.

Your clutch may also need upgrading. Circa £500 for an uprated organic one including install.

If you hadn't already done the brakes and suspension and had some bits from the PPP I'd suggest you go to the STi, but in this market.....

You could do a lot worse than speak to David at APi

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 22 November 2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 22 November 2008, 04:41 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
I'm running 391bhp in an 03 wrx (standard internals) since last week... Anyone's guess how long it's going to last, but it's been 353 bhp for two years with no issues.

I've got better brakes than an STI and more power now, but I wish I had started with an STI in the first place, but when I bought the WRX i oculdn't afford an STI
My WRX with 355bhp died after approx 2 years when the crank went, but must have been a Friday afternoon job as plenty running iro 350+ without issue.

At 390 it's the gearbox that will go first, but that also depends on what lb/ft it's making.

P.S. Second NS04's suggestion to OP of talking to David at API. You'll get a no-nonsense eval there.

For the purpose of full disclosure, API are reworking my WRX at the moment as I decided to go the whole hog rather than selling my WRX for an STI. I've had the car from new, it's never let me down (even with a bent crank and busted bottom end bearings it got me to API without a problem) and though it may be overly sentimental I felt I ought to repay the care it's taken of me over the last 64k miles by upgrading it rather than discarding it.

Last edited by NXG; 22 November 2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 22 November 2008, 07:12 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

If your asking the question then I would sell up and get an sti,

for me i love the and enjoy the slow progression. Prefer knowing what the car has done , there are loads of wrx on here running big BHP so its down to money really if you intend to keep it for a long time then the cost of replacing parts makes more sense.
Old 22 November 2008, 08:13 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

All depends how extreme you go, AP brakes, up-rated clutch, coil-overs all cost about the same for a WRX or STI, a monster engine build is about the same too. So for a track/road monster either will do, for a quick road car STI plus mods, for quick family friendly road car, WRX with a few bits added.

imho

DunxC
Old 22 November 2008, 08:53 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

im pretty much in the same boat as you.
I couldnt afford the sti when I bought my wrx so had to get the next best thing.
I would say if you want more power than 300 hp go and buy an sti.
Im currently running about 280 with a few bits and bobs and an ecutek remap, but when I want some more power Ill be getting an sti.

Ive got to the point where its not worth putting more money into it, when you can get an sti pretty cheap right now.
Old 22 November 2008, 08:55 PM
NEILLLLL
Scooby Regular

Sell and get the sti . I had a bugeye wrx . Cost about 2k to get it to just over 300/300 and still needed brakes and suspension. Now bought a hawkeye sti definately a better allround car .
I paid 13k for the sti, cheap as chips.
Old 22 November 2008, 09:04 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

Hi mate
I think it all depends on how far you want to go, and also how deep your wallet is
It still wont be cheap if you buy an sti!even those have there limits.

Ps are you from biddulph?

Dannytwo
Old 22 November 2008, 09:32 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

View my scooby.... Yep it's a wrx
Old 22 November 2008, 10:03 PM
Scooby Hoo?
Scooby Regular

Hi
It can be done on a tight budget but you need to shop around and buy at the right time and have a little luck.
I have been collecting the bits for my 2002WRX over the last year.
STI Intercooler £170 and refurb myself
VF34 low mileage in excellent condition ported myself £300
Brand new 550 Injectors flow balanced £275
Fuel pump £75
Denso plugs £36
New sport cat downpipe £269
Perrin 3 port soleniod TSL group buy now £69
Port and wrap exsisting headers £65.
Center pipe £49.
Remap is the big money as the licence has to be paid. £660 with rolling road setup.
Workshop manual to find out how to fit everything - a pint for a club member
Fitting it myself luckly I have a garage and the car can stay off the road over the winter.
So it can be done for under two grand if your hands on and these upgrades should return 320-330bhp and similar torque.
However if you have to pay someone to do all the work for you then it might be more cost effective to go the STI ppp route but you will still want to upgrade that believe me.
Good luck which ever way you go.

Last edited by Scooby Hoo?; 22 November 2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 22 November 2008, 10:15 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

bought my wrx last year, looking back on it now i wish id spent more on a car already modded or an sti. but we live and learn.
check my profile for full spec( done it all myself)

just done a track day at brands and it held its own. only dedicated track cars faster/supercars. plus took some nice scalps to including 2 tvr's, atom and 911.

love my car
Old 22 November 2008, 10:25 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveBeck
bought my wrx last year, looking back on it now i wish id spent more on a car already modded or an sti. but we live and learn.
check my profile for full spec( done it all myself)

just done a track day at brands and it held its own. only dedicated track cars faster/supercars. plus took some nice scalps to including 2 tvr's, atom and 911.

love my car
An atom! the driver most av been blind lol
Old 22 November 2008, 11:04 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

LWells NO! LOL.
It is not worth it imho. Been there, done that, still there, still doing that, still spending, still want more, so all in all, get an STi and mod a car that can take it!
And by that, i mean you wont have to sweat about your gearbox every bloody launch, or think every strange noise from it means it is just about to explode! (my paranoia).
But i do enjoy it, but the money would have been better spent on an STi to start with. Then i could have had over 450bhp! LOlz0rs.
Old 22 November 2008, 11:05 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

New scooby 04 I see you have moderator status? Good man for taking that on. Hows ur motor? (sorry for thread hijack)
Old 22 November 2008, 11:46 PM
bazvolta
Scooby Regular

I've had my 54 WRX for about a year and a half now. I've just started doing mods to it and really like my car. I've had it re-mapped by Andy F and had a full de-cat 3" stainless exhaust fitted, new fuel pump/reg, AEM induction kit and Turbosmart dump valve. I don't know what power it's putting out now as I need to get it onto a rolling road. Looks wise I've gone for the not very common Prodrive spoiler and some Team Dynamics Drifz 18" alloys. It seems to me though that every scooby I see is an Sti these days or an Sti wanna be. So what if it's "only" a WRX, I'm enjoying doing this car up as it's the first car I've ever modded. Hopefully when I'm done it will look a bit apart from every other Impreza out there. Simple but effective. I'm not really bothered about huge power either. I've got a couple more bits and pieces that I'd like to get done then I'll call it a day and just enjoy my car. When I get it all done I'll get some pics of it up on here.

Last edited by bazvolta; 22 November 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 23 November 2008, 12:24 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by NXG
My WRX with 355bhp died after approx 2 years when the crank went, but must have been a Friday afternoon job as plenty running iro 350+ without issue.

At 390 it's the gearbox that will go first, but that also depends on what lb/ft it's making.
392lbft (with funny fuel)

I'm counting on bits breaking fairly soon, tbh
Old 23 November 2008, 06:50 AM
MrLouKnee
Scooby Regular

spray your car black....u know its the fastest colour

then take the engine out and whack a cosworth one in it

dosnt matter what car you have, you'll never have enough power

happy modding, its great fun isnt it
Old 23 November 2008, 09:05 AM
ian.b
BANNED

Default of course u can @ a cost :-<

you could uprate ur injectors,fuel pump,cams,bore out the cylinders,uprate pistons,better down pipe (heat wrapped),remap ecu,de-cat exhaust system the list goes on. bear in mind you might want to uprate the breaks, suspention and bushes
Old 23 November 2008, 11:34 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

The problem is this, to buy an 2-3yr old STI now at silly money you will have to sell your car for even sillier money and that's assuming you can find a buyer, seriously..!

If you can, then it is a buyers market, lol I'd have bitten TX's hand off last month, asking only £14k for a well modded, white 55 plate hawkeye spec c..! Even then it took longer than it should have to sell..!

As many have said, 3-4 yrs ago the price difference between a wrx and sti was much greater, so an EU WRX was a great buy at £16k.

That car is still going strong and has been putting out near 350 for 2 yrs+ and 290 since it was 6mths old. I do drive 'sensibly' and look after it service wise etc. It takes an sti with 400+ to have any chance, and he'd better have good brakes. I know the full history and I still prefer people to think it's only a wrx (low spoiler). Lol, I love the sti boy's to think they'll show little bro a turn of heels..

However, if I was buying my first scoob now, it would have to be at least an 05 STI and probably a spec c as the prices are just so good/poor. Hence, the chance of selling wrx are very slim IMHO, even more so if it's modded in any way..!

Lol, and to think UK wrx owners used to spout on about how much more their cars would be worth a few years down the line compared to my £4k cheaper EU car..
Old 23 November 2008, 11:41 AM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Originally Posted by dannytwo
An atom! the driver most av been blind lol
lol, the track day camera wouldnt turn on either

personally i think he was getting lessons, but i still kept up

either Moley or his brother was in the car so i do have proof
Old 23 November 2008, 12:22 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Cool

WOW loads of responses!! and on the front page :-) thanks guys....

Looks like its down to personal choice really... I think the general feel im getting is that an Sti is really the better one to go for (I have always known this but couldnt afford one at the time on the Reg I wanted) but as people say will I really get 8-9k... if not the gap then gets bigger, if i only got say 7K (which is crazy as I sold my MY99 for nearly 5k 18months ago!) then I cant afford or justify the 5k+ at the moment.

Looks like a hot topic, obviosuly the thought on most wrx owners minds! I agree you can do things cheaply if your willing to search and wait, I worked out that my Wheels/Brembo Brakes F+R/Suspension/Full PPP Pack/Set up and fitting all bought second hand have cost me a total of £1400 when you take off what i got for my parts... money well spent i think!

Maybe I will hold out for a bit, I think il be looking at a Spec C or PPP Sti next tho... would i leave that standard! lol

Last edited by LWells; 23 November 2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 23 November 2008, 12:37 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

So many bargains out there...

nice standard 07 plate for 12.5k!!!

Subaru : Impreza STI Type UK

PPP'd 05 12k

Subaru : Subaru Impreza WRX-STI PRODRIVE

PPP'd 05 11k!

MCR Vehicle Sales : Impreza WRX STi Type UK, Black Met, PPP Pack.

im sure everyone can search pistonheads themselves but its crazy how cheap they are... god knows what id get for mine!
Old 23 November 2008, 06:26 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Having been on here a while i've noticed and taken interest in this question each time it's arose. One thing i've also noticed is that most of the time the people who ask this question (and move to an STI) don't tend to stick with that long either! If I were you i'd name the HP figure that you are after and then ask us again

I've thought the same question myself a few times. I bought a WRX as it was £4/5k less than the equivalent STI, I wanted the newest car I could afford at the time. I like the black interior, cheaper tax and better MPG and yet I know that it can still be modded to 300+ if and when I choose to do so. I keep reminding myself that this is my daily drive and hopefully soon I will need that baby seat. I don't want a track day monster, just a fast road car that I can take to the Ring once or twice every now and then

However, if I were to move to an STI it would have to be a Spec C/D or JDM.
Old 23 November 2008, 06:30 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps

I've thought the same question myself a few times. I bought a WRX as it was £4/5k less than the equivalent STI, I wanted the newest car I could afford at the time. I like the black interior, cheaper tax and better MPG and yet I know that it can still be modded to 300+ if and when I choose to do so. I keep reminding myself that this is my daily drive and hopefully soon I will need that baby seat. I don't want a track day monster, just a fast road car that I can take to the Ring once or twice every now and then

Sounds so familiar!! I thought the same in 2003 when I bought my WRX from new. It's currently having a forged 2.5, JDM 6 speed, FMIC and 321T fitted!

Quick Reply: Is it worth modding a WRX?