Notices

Check Engine Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2008, 05:52 PM
LLL
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Problem

When I started my car to go to work this morning the CEL came on (i'm driving a 2003 WRX). Although i've only had this car a few weeks, I owned a very similar car a couple of years ago so I knew how to check the engine codes.

I printed off a list of codes, connected the 2 green connectors and sat down ready to de-code the flashing lights in the hopes that I would be pointed towards a dodgy MAF or something similar. Unfortunately I can't figure out what the car is trying to tell me and i'm hoping someone can shed some light!!

With the 2 green connectors connected, I turn the ignition on and the CEL flashes continuously without any pauses. I would estimate the light is iluminating & extinguishing approximately 3 times per second - despite a couple of hours intimate use with the search feature on the forum, I can't find out what this continual rapid blinking means. I've read that a single flash every second means that everything ok but the CEL is flashing much quicker than this and the under normal conditions, the CEL remains on.

Can anyone please help me out and offer me any advice??

Much appreciated,

Rob.
Old 21 November 2008, 09:39 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That only works on classics. you need a laptop or OBDII reader to do it.

Where are you based?
Old 22 November 2008, 11:54 AM
LLL
Scooby Newbie

I'm based in whitehaven in west Cumbria.
Thanks for letting me know - when u say I need a laptop, how would I go about Reading the fault code?
Also, with the CEL permanantly illuminated is it safe to drive the car to a garage for it to be checked out? The car seems to run and sound fine so I'm hoping I'm panicking for no reason!!
Are there any obvious places that I can look for a fault?
Old 22 November 2008, 12:24 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

local subaru dealer will read the fault for you and advise as to why it came on.
Old 30 November 2008, 09:14 PM
LLL
Scooby Newbie

Quick update on the saga!!

Had the car booked in to get the CEL codes read to see what the problem was but the evening before taking it to the garage I decided to check out the MAF sensor to make sure it was clean as on my previous impreza, I had a MAF coated in oil that put the car into limp home mode. I didn't think this would be the case this time around as my car wasn't in limp home mode and was boosting / accelerating as normal.

Anyway, checked the MAF which had a small coating of oil on it, cleaned it then switched engine on and hey presto, CEL had gone out so i didn't bother getting the code read at the garage.

I've driven the car for a week without any problems then tonight, started the car and the CEL is back on. I checked the MAF again which is still clean so i'm stumped again!!

Does anyone out there who actualy knows a little something about cars have any ideas as to what I should look at next or make sense / draw any conclsions from the story i've told above??!!

The other thing to mention is that ive noticed that when you rev the engine then let it return to idle, there is a kind of whining noise that follows the revs and dies away a couple of seconds after the engine returns to idle - it could be that its always been there but i think it may have just started doing this after the CEL came on. I'm baffled but then again, I don't know much about cars and i'm learning as I go so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

My car is a 2003 WRX with full de-cat and VF22 turbo (standard map).

Cheers
Rob.
Old 01 December 2008, 01:34 PM
cube320
Scooby Regular

So you have a vf22 turbo with the standard td04 map?

I think it will be becuase of this becuase a turbo is a big change and you car is not mapped for.
Old 01 December 2008, 02:04 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

You need to get the CEL code(s) read to know where to start looking.

If the car has a full decat do you have some kind of CEL fix for the rear 02 sensor? If not you will get a P0420 code.

If it is doing it at startup I would check and clean the electric connections for the MAF, Cam and Crank sensors and the TGV solenoids.

Andrew...
Old 01 December 2008, 08:13 PM
LLL
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

The CEL extinguished itself this afternoon when I started the car to go and get the codes read at my local garage!! I had the codes read anyway and i'm told its the Idle Speed Control Valve thats bringing up the CEL - I think the fault code was P0519 - can anyone confirm this??

Any ideas what is likely to be the problem with the ISC valve and is it something I should be worried about given that the fault seemed to clear itself? I don't know if its relevant but the last twice the CEL has come on its been around -2degC!!