Notices

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2008, 08:55 PM
pompey_uk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

can any1 help i have subaru impreza wrx its overheating i have changed the water pump,rad and thermostat(x3times two patten parts and 1 geniune subaru thermostat) but still no joy on tick over its fine the top and bottom pipe on the rad get hot as if the thermostat is open when i drive it for 1 mile it overheats top pipe on the rad is hot but the bottom pipe is cold as if the thermostat has closed and caused it to overheat.the only time it dont overheat is when i take out the thermostat and run it like that can run it for miles like that
Old 17 November 2008, 10:23 PM
darren34x
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pompey_uk
can any1 help i have subaru impreza wrx its overheating i have changed the water pump,rad and thermostat(x3times two patten parts and 1 geniune subaru thermostat) but still no joy on tick over its fine the top and bottom pipe on the rad get hot as if the thermostat is open when i drive it for 1 mile it overheats top pipe on the rad is hot but the bottom pipe is cold as if the thermostat has closed and caused it to overheat.the only time it dont overheat is when i take out the thermostat and run it like that can run it for miles like that
hi mate had this 3 weeks ago with my classic my00 uk model . blew the top hose when the thermostat locked shut took me ages to get the air out the system in the end i tried an old and trusted method make sure the system is cold heater inside car in the hot position then take off a heater pipe in the bulk head blank off engine side of pipe connect hose pipe to the other then back fill the system this method should get the trapped air out of the heater matrix horrible job to do but easiest way to do it that i know i was pumping pipes and filling it for hours till i tried the old fashioned way lol
Old 18 November 2008, 12:10 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...top pipe on the rad is hot but the bottom pipe is cold...
Doesn't this not indicate that the thermostat is open and working properly i.e...

coolant heated by the engine >>> through the top hose (therefore feels hot) >>> through the radiator, rapidly cooling the coolant >>> therefore cold bottom hose feeding cold coolant back into the block to be reheated by the engine, and recirculated over again?

Surely the bottom hose should never be hot, as even when the thermostat is closed, coolant's not circulating through the rad anyway?

Last edited by joz8968; 18 November 2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 18 November 2008, 08:19 PM
pompey_uk
Scooby Newbie

just found out its the headgasket
Old 18 November 2008, 08:29 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

just found out its the headgasket
Bugger .. Sorry to hear that pal.
Old 18 November 2008, 08:34 PM
pompey_uk
Scooby Newbie

get some quotes tomorrow let you all know what they come back with
Old 18 November 2008, 09:32 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had a quote from RCM for £800. But that is just engine out, heads off, old gaskets removed and heads clened up, new gaskets on, engine back in.

If there's anything else then that quote can soon escalate to c. 1.5k and beyond e.g. heads skimmed, thicker and uprated head gaskets, water pump, oil pump, cambelt, tensioner, pulleys, etc., etc.... See what can happen?

Thing is, if other stuff does need doing, then from the long tern pov, it's false economy not to do it at this golden opportunity (as funds allow obviously).