Notices

starting problems on my94 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2008, 10:21 PM
drfeelgood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems on my94 wagon

Hi there , i,m hoping someone can help me , yesterday night when i was going to pick the wife up , my scobby would,nt start , turns over but does,nt fire , after a couple of trys i gave up and could smell petrol under the bonnet so i was thinking that i may of touch the accelerator when i first started it thus causing it to flood , anyway tried again after half an hour and got it going but it was really sluggish to start , went to work in it this morning no problem , come home no ploblem but when i wanted to go out tonight it would,nt start again , now i know i never touch the accelerator this time and got the petrol smell again, no matter how many times tonight i,ve tried its still not starting , anyone got any ideas has to why its not starting but smells strongly of petrol thus thinking its flooding , could it be coolant temp sensor ?
Old 21 October 2008, 11:43 PM
cheesy19866
Scooby Newbie

hi i had this prob on my 95 wrx when it was hot it would not start was ok after night would start ok. it was the cam shat sencer its just b side thr altanate and held on with 1 ten mill bolt i got 1 off ebay 4 40 pound but did not fit had 2 mod it then it was ok and it is still working fine i was told a new 1 was about 120 + 80 2 fit when i went 2 my subaru deler
Old 21 October 2008, 11:45 PM
cheesy19866
Scooby Newbie

i was told it was the temp senser from heaps of people so i get a new 1 on mt car but turnd out it was the crank senser
Old 22 October 2008, 09:41 AM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Smell of petrol is simply because it's not igniting. If it were the temp sensor, then it give different symptoms.

As suggested, either a crank or cam sensor is duff, which means you get no spark. With intermittent fault like this it's a bit of a pain.

Hopefully someone here will have info as to which sensor gives ecu the go ahead for ignition. First off though, have a wiggle on the sensor wires and plugs (each in turn then try the car). This may highligt a fault. If you do both at the same time, you'll be none the wiser as to which one may be at fault.
Old 22 October 2008, 04:29 PM
drfeelgood
Scooby Regular

thanks for all your help , problem not come up since i posted but i,m going out tonight to pick the wife up , if it happens again like last time then i,m getting a new wife as my other baby does,nt like picking her up ,i,v just ordered a temp sensor for £31.85 + vat so will fit that anyway but will go looking for a crank sensor now on ebay , i,ll keep you posted cheers