Ecu Tek Remap

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2008, 12:05 AM
Scooby23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecu Tek Remap

Hi guys

Right then, i have MY98 STI V5. The car is pushing around 330 - 340 bhp, the previous owner told me the car has been remapped in the past so the license for the ecu has already been bought.

I'm looking at getting a front mount intercooler and would like the car remapped, so my question is this. As the car has already been mapped sometime in it's past and the license been bought how do i go about finding out the license so that i dont have to pay for it again, as i know when you have the license it's a lot cheaper to get the car remapped.

Is there anyway i can find out from ecu tek?

thanx
Old 16 October 2008, 12:23 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ecu contains the licence.. when it gets remapped the mapper will see it has the licence.. you can also see this on the programming window when it is connected up etc..

you don't need to know the number or anything

Simon
Old 16 October 2008, 12:51 AM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon long time!

What is the most BHP you have seen out of a car still running Ecutek?
Old 16 October 2008, 12:54 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I might be wrong but i thought you couldn't remap a MY98 using ecutek,i thought 99 onwards
Old 16 October 2008, 12:58 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

late 400s..

Generally late 400s is point at which you run out of maf scaling etc... reasonable hassle to then sort.. what with decent map based aftermarket stuff at good pricing etc..

Simon
Old 16 October 2008, 12:59 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by richie001
I might be wrong but i thought you couldn't remap a MY98 using ecutek,i thought 99 onwards
correct but MY99 ran from August 1998

manufacture year doesn't quite run same as year.. etc..

V5 onwards are mappable with ecutek
Old 16 October 2008, 01:00 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Going 4 400bhp
Hi Simon long time!

What is the most BHP you have seen out of a car still running Ecutek?
long time indeed btw!
Old 16 October 2008, 01:02 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby23
Hi guys

Right then, i have MY98 STI V5. The car is pushing around 330 - 340 bhp, the previous owner told me the car has been remapped in the past so the license for the ecu has already been bought.

I'm looking at getting a front mount intercooler and would like the car remapped, so my question is this. As the car has already been mapped sometime in it's past and the license been bought how do i go about finding out the license so that i dont have to pay for it again, as i know when you have the license it's a lot cheaper to get the car remapped.

Is there anyway i can find out from ecu tek?

thanx
Was there no mapping involved during your rebuild/running in ?
Old 16 October 2008, 01:10 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
late 400s..

Generally late 400s is point at which you run out of maf scaling etc... reasonable hassle to then sort.. what with decent map based aftermarket stuff at good pricing etc..

Simon
Can you rescale engine loads and injector scaling(as per Opensource) in ECUTek to get round the 300 g/s barrier?
Old 16 October 2008, 02:23 AM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
long time indeed btw!
Yes it has been a long time, I now have my classic that looked a lot different last time you saw it up for sale and im running a fully forged bug eye.

If the classic dose not sell in 2 weeks im breaking it!

Got a mapping secession with Pat on Tuesday next week at surrey rolling road center and looking for about 440bhp out of my MD321T.

It's running a ECUtec right now but looking at other routes and would all so like anty lag to pi$$ people off

Any thouhgts?

Ash
Old 16 October 2008, 05:52 AM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It's running a ECUtec right now but looking at other routes and would all so like anty lag to pi$$ people off

Any thouhgts?

Ash

Yes, Simtek, or Autronic maybe, i,ve had anti-lag on my last 2 Evos via Autronic, you,re looking @ £1200+ though....
Old 16 October 2008, 07:58 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluenose172
Can you rescale engine loads and injector scaling(as per Opensource) in ECUTek to get round the 300 g/s barrier?
It isnt just a case of re-scaling load columns and injector scaling.

If the MAF sensor is reaching its limit then no amount of fiddling with the software will create extra sensor range. It could be done by going to bigger intake piping such as with the APS 70mm CAI but even then you come up against a limit of the sensor range after a while. You could then change the MAF sensor for another make that might give you the extra sensor range but to be honest it may not be worth it.

Mine is still using the OE ecu that I map (not using ecutek though) and am hoping for over 500bhp & 500 lb/ft on the dyno on Sunday. Last recorded at 490bhp. It is right at the limits I mention above and a change of ECU is imminent so it can progress more.
Old 17 October 2008, 01:01 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
It isnt just a case of re-scaling load columns and injector scaling.

If the MAF sensor is reaching its limit then no amount of fiddling with the software will create extra sensor range. It could be done by going to bigger intake piping such as with the APS 70mm CAI but even then you come up against a limit of the sensor range after a while. You could then change the MAF sensor for another make that might give you the extra sensor range but to be honest it may not be worth it.

Mine is still using the OE ecu that I map (not using ecutek though) and am hoping for over 500bhp & 500 lb/ft on the dyno on Sunday. Last recorded at 490bhp. It is right at the limits I mention above and a change of ECU is imminent so it can progress more.
I was referring to the 16-bit 300g/s limit, as I'm sure you know, the ECU can be 'fooled' by halving injector scaling, and halving every occurance of load in certain tables. The MAF scaling table runs from 0-175g/s, if a larger MAF housing is used, this 'hack' can support a theoretical limit of 600g/s. I know this isn't such an issue with the 32-bit ECU's but most of the newage Impreza's in the this country run the 16-bit ECU, so ECUTek must have a way of overcoming this limit.

Out of interest, what are the MAF readings on your car at full whack?(Or are you running MAFless?) What software are you using to map your car?

Last edited by bluenose172; 17 October 2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 17 October 2008, 08:21 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I was referring to the 16-bit 300g/s limit, as I'm sure you know, the ECU can be 'fooled' by halving injector scaling, and halving every occurance of load in certain tables. The MAF scaling table runs from 0-175g/s, if a larger MAF housing is used, this 'hack' can support a theoretical limit of 600g/s. I know this isn't such an issue with the 32-bit ECU's but most of the newage Impreza's in the this country run the 16-bit ECU, so ECUTek must have a way of overcoming this limit.

Out of interest, what are the MAF readings on your car at full whack?(Or are you running MAFless?) What software are you using to map your car?
Yeah i was aware of what you were talking about but you do hit an 'actual limit' after a while if you get greedy like me

My readings taken from ecutek deltadash that I use for data-logging:

max MAF Voltage: 4.96v
avg max gram/sec: 485 grams/sec but have seen 505 on it
avg max load: 5.3 (equiv to 10.6 on 16 bit ecu)

I use a mixture of ecuedit and ecuflash (and ocassionally romraider for MAF scaling) to edit my rom.

The trouble with being at the top end of the maf scale is that a small variance in MAF voltage recorded makes a huge difference in the calculated airflow and that makes a big difference with AFR. It means (to me anyway) that it needs to be on the conservative side of the power available so is wasting the opportunity for power that the airflow represents.

I still have the MAF sensor for the moment - but not for long.
Old 17 October 2008, 11:21 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Yes it has been a long time, I now have my classic that looked a lot different last time you saw it up for sale and im running a fully forged bug eye.

If the classic dose not sell in 2 weeks im breaking it!

Got a mapping secession with Pat on Tuesday next week at surrey rolling road center and looking for about 440bhp out of my MD321T.

Any thouhgts?

Ash
very nice

440 should be achieveable depending on the setup
Old 17 October 2008, 11:29 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

there are solutions or ways around using larger maf housings and some scope for adjustment but generally if you are getting to that point then really it is time to move onto a stand alone management MAP based.. the pricing of the SimTek at 1095+VAT just makes the playing around and trying to overcome for example vortexing on the inlet tract with large compressor blades and other maf related issues, which all can be overcome but time consuming and really unnecessary.

Often by the time you get to the kind of horse power were the maf scaling becomes as issue there is a different induction pipe / maf housing fitted with for example an inner wing induction kit which alters the maf reading so dramatically that you don't reach 300 anyway. From memory a car a couple of weeks back with a greddy 20g setup with rotated turbo and induction ally pipe with maf bolted into it was reaching 190ish at 410bhp.. but unfortunatly idle was horrendous due to vortex in the induction pipe past the maf as the maf was 3.5inches from the blades of the turbo with a very straight pipe etc..

Simon
Old 17 October 2008, 08:14 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Simon.

Dynamix, I take it you are on the RR forums, I'm sure I've seen you about. Thanks again for the info.
Old 17 October 2008, 08:35 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the info Simon.

Dynamix, I take it you are on the RR forums, I'm sure I've seen you about. Thanks again for the info.
I have been know to frequent the odd forum

I go on the RR a little - it is not a piece of software that I use much as the 3D table views are frankly embarassing. EcuEdit is much better for viewing. but the info/knowledge there is immense.
Old 18 October 2008, 04:13 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
I have been know to frequent the odd forum

I go on the RR a little - it is not a piece of software that I use much as the 3D table views are frankly embarassing. EcuEdit is much better for viewing. but the info/knowledge there is immense.
It is, I've been like a sponge the last 2 months, learnt so much.(Even if the search function is completely useless.) NAISOC is good for info too. I'll have to have a look at ECUEdit, I've only been using RR.