Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2008, 01:17 PM
nickvl
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW FORESTER 2.5 T -ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE

Hi Guys

My name is Nick and i'm from Greece.

I ' m owner of a Forester 2.5 T ,and i bought it brand new ,before 4 months from Subaru Motor Hellas. I have only 3500 Km in odometer.

Last Sunday 5th of October i had a very bad experience.
When I was on the high road i heard a very strong noise from the engine, then my car stopped.

As i know today, Subaru has announced in USA, stop sales in April of 2008 due to this problem,but in Greece ,Subaru Motor Hellas didn't say anything.

So they changed the engine of my car but they didn't gave me any document to proof.

I ask to give my money back because i don't trust the company in Greece and i fell they deceived me.

I will go on court and i would like to know if the STOP SALES policy , happens also in other European countries.

Please let me know about the possibilities that i have ,to get my money back.
Old 12 October 2008, 05:50 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Go to subaruforester.org and look at the details of the stop sales in the US, from what I recall it was a US specific issue with a relatively small build - there were no stop on sales reported in the UK, it was a build defect so there is no reason why a replacement engine should have the same problem, and some new engines fail, it doesn't mean yours had the same issue anyway.

Simon
Old 14 October 2008, 06:14 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Kalispera kai kalosilthes!
Where did you take the car to?
The service in Psyhiko is supposed to be very good, that's where a friend of mine amd me have been servicing our cars without problems when in Greece.
If they changed the engine the serial number would be different so you could double check this?
Did they mention what the reason was for the engine failure?
They are supposed to be reliable cars so you might have been unlucky with the last engine.
What do you mean they didn't give you any document to proof?
Surely when the car went in they need to state what work has been done to the car. Did they give any warranty for the work?
Old 14 October 2008, 07:27 PM
nickvl
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by fpan
Kalispera kai kalosilthes!
Where did you take the car to?
The service in Psyhiko is supposed to be very good, that's where a friend of mine amd me have been servicing our cars without problems when in Greece.
If they changed the engine the serial number would be different so you could double check this?
Did they mention what the reason was for the engine failure?
They are supposed to be reliable cars so you might have been unlucky with the last engine.
What do you mean they didn't give you any document to proof?
Surely when the car went in they need to state what work has been done to the car. Did they give any warranty for the work?

Kalispera from Greece,
I bought it from Subaru In Glyfada.
In Greece the registration cerificate of the car has not serial number of Engine , only "Type of Engine" ,so you cant't check if they changed.
In USA and Australia they stopped the sales of this car,with production dates from January to April of 2008.

They deceived me and they put my life in danger, because they didn't announced anything in Greek Market
and i was on the High Road when this happened,although i strongly believe
that they had informations about this failure.

Please read below.

Subaru issues turbo STOP SALE on certain 08-09 models - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Subaru suspends 2.5 turbo production and sale - News

They didn't give us warranty for this work.

If you have a e-mail address from Subaru Europe , or FHI in Japan please let me know.

Efharisto!!!
Old 14 October 2008, 11:07 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Sorry, I don't have any contact of Subaru Europe or Japan but would like to know as well as I want to report an idiotic dealer in France.
I sent a letter to Benelux sometime ago but it came back as the address must have been wrong.

What is worrying is this (from the site you posted):

We have an 08 STI at our dealership with a popped motor. It was our STI test drive ****.

They just released a paper and a new reflash for the 08 STI. The problem is that in hard driving conditions, over 6700rpm, you can hit fuel cut and go into an "extremely lean condition which can cause broken piston ringlands" (that is almost word for word what it says)

The fix is a remap, and it completely changes the car. SO much smoother, the midrange RPM "hitching" is gone, the car just feels better everywhere.

The annoying part is if you datalog an 08, then datalog an 07 and compare the logs, you will see that this problem is nothing new, and the 07s (keep in mind they blew up a lot too, even bone stock) logs looked pretty much identical.
Not only the STI, the LGT and WRX have the same midrange hitching. I think they are counting on the fact that less WRX owners are going to drive the car hard without some sort of tune on it (which will A. Fix the problem B.Negate any warranty claims on a failed motor) and that almost no LGT owners drive their car that hard.
Plus both cars run less boost and arent mapped quite as aggressively.

Still, every turbo subaru from 07 and up needs this kind of fix as far as I am concerned.

Maybe you should mention this in the General section so that more people would see it. If they replaced the engine though you should have no worries.
If I am not mistaken this recall only affects cars made in US or Australia?
I hope all goes well.

Last edited by fpan; 14 October 2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 15 October 2008, 07:18 PM
nickvl
Scooby Newbie

As you can see below..''several reports of “Engine Knocking Noise” from other markets on vehicles produced after the production dates listed.

IWSTI.com: Subaru STI Forum - The Largest Subaru STi Specific Forum in the World!
Old 23 October 2008, 06:14 PM
nickvl
Scooby Newbie

Any news ?