Can anyone help??

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2008, 09:44 PM
Pauloupnorth
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help??

Hi,

Ive just bought a 99T plate Subaru turbo with 67000 on the clock the car is immaculate with full subaru service history, the only problem ive got is, there is a leak in the boot, we have found it to be the O/S rear light, on taking it off it has been stuck on with some tacy black substance like blu tac but more sticky, the previous keeper has obviously had a leak previously and used this black stuff to seal the light back onto the body work. both inner wings in the back corner of the boot under the jack area had some water in them, which must be from the leaking light, is this common as we noticed when we were looking at classic subarus quite a few had rust on the rear wing above the bumper on the outside of where this water is in my car.

Has anybody else had this problem? is there a better way of re sealing the light on? with a gasket maybe or does anybody know the name of this back sealant and where i can get some to re seal it?

I need to get it sorted the carpet in the boot is wet and stinks, although there is no rust!!!

Thanks Paul
Old 08 October 2008, 09:49 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

Mine has sticky black stuff too, think it's standard subaru stuff. I think most classics suffer with water in the boot, mine does. I'm yet to find the leak but i know it's not my lights.
Old 08 October 2008, 09:55 PM
Pauloupnorth
Scooby Newbie

its definately the light on mine, with the boot open, i put the hosepipe on the car and water runs onto the top of the light and though into the boot
Old 08 October 2008, 10:01 PM
darren34x
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pauloupnorth
its definately the light on mine, with the boot open, i put the hosepipe on the car and water runs onto the top of the light and though into the boot
hey guys try your local body work shop and ask for some seam sealer comes in all colours have fun
Old 09 October 2008, 12:00 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have exactly the same problem. I know it's my lights, as before I replaced them for the clear indicator'd ones, I never had this problem (on the O/S too). It's quite common if you replace your tailights. The black sealant is supposed to be there, and in yours and mine cases, appears that not enough has been applied to achieve a watertight seal. See here for more on this...

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...leak-boot.html
Old 10 October 2008, 03:58 PM
Pauloupnorth
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I rang a local body shop , got some sealer and have re done both back lights, put plenty of sealer on and now have no leaks!!!, washed the carpets and no smell too !!

Thanks