Notices

TURBO- FASTEST, DIRECT BOLT ON????

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2008, 08:44 PM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBO- FASTEST, DIRECT BOLT ON????

What is the best/fastest direct bolt on turbo for a MY93 WRX? i currently have a tdo5 turbo and i'm quite happy with its performance but, (like most) would like to look into getting something with a bit more grunt. not too worried about top end, more the acceleration. any suggestions welcomed.
am i stupid in thinking that the td part from td05 means team dynamics?
Old 08 October 2008, 08:57 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Best turbo for your desires would be Andy Forrest's "TD04 Hybrid". It still has a similar sized compressor wheel/housing as the TD05 16G for similar top end as what you're already experiencing... BUT.... has the smaller TD04's exhaust turbine wheel and housing for quicker spool up earlier in the rev range. I think it reaches full boost at 2,500rpm!, compared to the regular TD05 16G's 3,300rpm - see here... AndyForrestPerformance

"AFP4H – is based on a TD04 this is available new or fully re-manufactured on an exchange basis. It is fitted with a new high efficiency, high flow rate compressor wheel and compressor housing which is capable of maintaining the fast spool up rate typically associated with the TD04 but with the ability to run higher boost efficiently over a wider rpm band. This turbo has been tested to levels in excess of 320lbft and 320bhp. With full boost still coming in as low as 2500rpm on a 2.0

£400 exchange (includes 12 months warranty)

If you require an exchange unit prior to removal of your own turbo, then add a £150 returnable deposit, this will be refunded on receipt of your old unit in acceptable condition ie no broken castings etc."

Thing is, if you get bitten by the tuning bug, this turbo is only good for c.320bhp - so think carefully about what you may want in the future

Nah, nothing to do with Team Dynamics, or Turbo Dynamics for that matter. The TD turbos are Mitsubishi items... haven't a clue what the TD stands for though

Last edited by joz8968; 08 October 2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08 October 2008, 09:05 PM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Best turbo for your desires would be Andy Forrest's "TD04 Hybrid". It still has the TD05 compressor wheel/housing for the same top end as what you're already experiencing... BUT.... has the smaller TD04's exhaust turbine wheel and housing for quicker spool up earlier in the rev range. I think it reaches full boost at 2,500rpm!, compared to the regular TD05's 3,500rpm.

Thing is, if you gret bitten by the tuning bug, this turbo is only good for c.320-40bhp - so think carefully about what you may want in the future
oh right. my td05 starts spooling at 2k and i think it stops about 6k? but i don't have a boost gauge etc so i don't have a clue when i'm on full bosst or even what psi i'm running. it just doesn't seem to be as fast as it should. it would be a while before i started thinking of serious tuning, so maybe your suggestion would do me for a year and hopefully get some cash back from it when it comes to selling it?!
Old 08 October 2008, 09:16 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's entirely fair thinking. Obviously you'll take a bit of a hit on the 2nd hand price of it when reselling, but as long as you're happy and all that...

With a Apexi PFC (or ESL Live board), decent panel filter, 440cc injectors and your std TMIC and decat downpipe + freeflow system, you should be within the limits of the TD04 Hybrid anyway at about 290-320bhp, running c.1.1bar.

Then if you wish to go further later, get a good quality FMIC, larger turbo (so many to choose from), 550cc (or greater) injectors, higher rated MAP sensor (or PFC boost control kit), plus more boost, etc., for a reliable 350bhp and beyond...

Last edited by joz8968; 08 October 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08 October 2008, 09:19 PM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

i noticed when i did a search for the td series, they came back with mitsubishi parts. it will remain a mystery what the td stands for eh! if my turbo has a small amount of 'play' , providing nothing is broken, do you think this would deem as acceptable for an exchange unit?
Old 08 October 2008, 09:30 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by first ever scooby
i noticed when i did a search for the td series, they came back with mitsubishi parts. it will remain a mystery what the td stands for eh! if my turbo has a small amount of 'play' , providing nothing is broken, do you think this would deem as acceptable for an exchange unit?
If you search "TD05" on eBay you'll see they typically go for between c.£50-£150, depending on age/mileage/condition, etc. Virtually all the ads have words to the effect of "shaft has very little play". Obviously even a new one will have minute play as, when running, the shaft rotates on a very thin layer of highly pressurised oil film, between the shaft and the thrust bearing... Just be as honest in your ad as poss and you'll be okay.

Last edited by joz8968; 08 October 2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08 October 2008, 10:10 PM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

i have a de-cat down pipe fitted already, so looking for an upgraded ecu next. appologies for being thick but what is a TMIC? i have a stupid mushroom style air filter and evryone i've spoken to has said its pointless. would i see better results from putting my old panel filter box back on? would i experience any problems with changing to 550cc injectors without any other mods?

appologies, FMIC Front Mount Inter-Cooler.

Last edited by first ever scooby; 08 October 2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08 October 2008, 10:40 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by first ever scooby
i have a de-cat down pipe fitted already, so looking for an upgraded ecu next. appologies for being thick but what is a TMIC? i have a stupid mushroom style air filter and evryone i've spoken to has said its pointless. would i see better results from putting my old panel filter box back on? would i experience any problems with changing to 550cc injectors without any other mods?
Yeah sorry, I saw that you had a decat/system.

TMIC = Top Mount Intercooler (your black OEM one)
FMIC = Front...

Yeah, junk that mushroom jobbie - it might significantly alter the scaling of the airflow through the MAF and the motor might run lean, as the ECU thinks that it's seeing a lesser amount of air going in than is actually the case (even though lots is going in!). It will then under-fuel and you really don't want this to happen on heavy boost loads (the dreaded det could occur)

Yep, get your airbox assembly refitted and stick in an OEM paper panel, or a decent aftermarket panel like Apexi, Green, K&N, etc...

550cc's will prob be okay, but you'd really have to get the ECU at the same time to have a remap - otherwise they'll be running way too rich and won't be giving you any extra power. The problem with going too big too early on, is that you have a lower resolution of fuelling i.e. it'll be harder for the ECU to meter the 550s for the small pulses of fuel required for idling/low RPMs and could cause rough or jerky running, plus be running rich and wasting fuel needlessly.

Seriously, I'd go for the AFP4H turbo, the remappable ECU, Walbro 255l/h fuel pump... and stick with 440s for now - you'll end up with a quick, responsive, excellent flexible road car. Then, in a years time or whatever, get your bigger turbo, FMIC, etc. and upgrade to even bigger injectors. Don't forget, you'll be able to flog the 440s on to help fund for the replacement injectors anyway! It's all good.

Last edited by joz8968; 08 October 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09 October 2008, 02:11 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The TD05 is a more capable unit than a TD04 hybrid.

If you sort the cooling, fueling and the timing the TD05 can be a stormer.

<---
Old 09 October 2008, 03:08 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

I agree with you BOB - I love my TD05 lol.

I think the OP may have his heart set on a quicker spooling turbo though, and the AFP4H - aside from the relatively puffless TD04 - has got to be one of the best for that hasn't it?

I agree that the the OP should keep hold of his TD05 though - don't think it's really a worthwhile swap to do, all said and done . Plus I keep hearing the TD05s are mechanically robust buggers also. Mine certainly appears to be upholding that reputation .

Last edited by joz8968; 09 October 2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09 October 2008, 03:18 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isn't the TD04 AFP hybrid front entry and the MY93 WRX TD05 a 90 degree elbow jobby ?? so not swappable ??

Personally I'd stick with the TD05, tough critters, mappers have known them for years and have enough grunt to break gearboxes

Shaun
Old 09 October 2008, 03:35 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
isn't the TD04 AFP hybrid front entry and the MY93 WRX TD05 a 90 degree elbow jobby ?? so not swappable ??
Yes it does have a front entry cover, but can 'easily' mate to the v.1/2's 90-deg downturned induction hose, by using an appropriately sized 90-deg silicone hose (to mimic the TD05's 'snorkel'), ally joiner pipe and some jubilee clips. Piece of p i s s

Last edited by joz8968; 09 October 2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09 October 2008, 05:21 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

I would think a hybrid TD04 is a bit of a backward step from a TD05.

I would look to get rid of the slanty intercooler, and either replace it with a later type (ie STi 4 - less than £100) or go the full hog and fit a front mount.

Get it properly mapped with a ESL livemap, and even with your 380 injectors your looking at 300bhp.

Davy
Old 10 October 2008, 06:47 PM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCR59
I would think a hybrid TD04 is a bit of a backward step from a TD05.

I would look to get rid of the slanty intercooler, and either replace it with a later type (ie STi 4 - less than £100) or go the full hog and fit a front mount.

Get it properly mapped with a ESL livemap, and even with your 380 injectors your looking at 300bhp.

Davy
thanks for all your info guys. i've been looking for the ESL livemap but can't find anywhere local to me (littehampton) but understanding i'm looking at aout £350? wherever i look, i seem to find the 550 injectors, a lot cheaper than 440's. is this right? if i buy the 550cc with the walbro 255 lph pump, would i have major running issues until i can get it re-mapped?
Old 10 October 2008, 07:18 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

£350?! That would prob be for the live board itself, without a map - or vica versa lol.

No, one of the cheapest mappers to get the whole caboodle from would be www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk. An entirely reasonable £525 for Simon to supply and fit the daughterboard, then map it... Plus he travels to customers (and charges petrol as necessary). Therefore, it's best to get involved in a group mapping session with others at a common venue/address, so you can divvy up his petrol costs between the lot of you lol.

Many people on here can vouch for his mapping prowess/knowledge and general helpfulness - including myself!

Indeed, ask him about the 550s verses the 440s at your level of mods - I know he'll give you suitable advice

Last edited by joz8968; 10 October 2008 at 07:23 PM.